A "School's Out" question

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

A "School's Out" question

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Wed May 12, 2021 11:55 pm

I'm sure you are aware that The SAHB covered the song.
For their Scottish cover I thought the band captured the essence.
Were The SAHB your competition or an incentive?
They seemed to tread the "Art Rock" platform also.
Alex was unique because he had been around forever.
Lastly, did Glen comment on Zal's ability?
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: A "School's Out" question

Post by Dreary » Thu May 13, 2021 12:44 am

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band have lots of respect amongst Alice Cooper fans. I guess the only way to explain why we weren't more aware of them back then is that we were so busy doing our own thing.
Their version of "School's Out" has great attitude. They made it their own and still maintained the essence of the original. I'm pretty certain that GB would have liked Zal's guitar playing.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Thu May 13, 2021 1:16 am

Thanks Dennis,
As I was a teenage ACG fan I was impressed by the stage presence of The SAHB on The Midnight Special or maybe Rock Concert. I remember their cover of "Framed" & searched for the LP for awhile. I know that they toured the US but didn't seem to transfer "Across The Pond". Can you describe the reaction (minus political) in Europe to the ACG?

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Thu May 13, 2021 1:37 am

Daggers & Contracts wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 1:16 am
Thanks Dennis,
As I was a teenage ACG fan I was impressed by the stage presence of The SAHB on The Midnight Special or maybe Rock Concert. I remember their cover of "Framed" & searched for the LP for awhile. I know that they toured the US but didn't seem to transfer "Across The Pond". Can you describe the reaction (minus political) in Europe to the ACG?
We thought we would have to start over in Europe but we quickly found out that we already had our foot in the door because of our association with Frank Zappa who was even more iconic there at that time. Our managers also paved our way with some exceptionally creative promotion.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sun May 16, 2021 12:20 am

Dreary wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 1:37 am
Thanks Dennis,
We thought we would have to start over in Europe but we quickly found out that we already had our foot in the door because of our association with Frank Zappa who was even more iconic there at that time. Our managers also paved our way with some exceptionally creative promotion.
That's great!
I remember taking French class in High School & we had a Paris Match to read in class.
About a show the ACG did in Paris in the early/mid '70's & was very complimentary in B&W.
Somehow those photo's & pages came home with me.
Did you learn Foreign languages touring or just enough phrases to get by?

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Sun May 16, 2021 1:19 am

Sun May 16, 2021 12:20 am
Dreary wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 1:37 am
Thanks Dennis,
That's great!
I remember taking French class in High School & we had a Paris Match to read in class.
About a show the ACG did in Paris in the early/mid '70's & was very complimentary in B&W.
Somehow those photo's & pages came home with me.
Did you learn Foreign languages touring or just enough phrases to get by?
We were only in each country for a day or two so none of us picked up much. To be honest, we had a difficult time understanding some people that were speaking English with various accents. I have since gotten much better at that.
Mandy Newall worked for us. She had a heavy cockney accent. The band was checking into a hotel in Montgomery, Alabama. The clerk had a heavy deep-south accent. I had to translate!