LYRICS

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

mr.barlow

LYRICS

Post by mr.barlow » Sun May 02, 2021 10:28 pm

My question is: Are there any lyrics to songs in which Alice is given a song writing credit that were not written by him?

I understand that songwriting can be a collaboration in all aspects, and that song lyrics could be written by one or many of the writers. It seems that when a singer is credited as being a writer it is assumed by most that he/she was the composer of the lyrics. There are some incredible lyrics in the era of the original band and I wanted to know if Alice deserves much of the credit or if others should share in it too.

Also, what do you think are the best lyrics during your time in the band and also the worst

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: LYRICS

Post by Dreary » Mon May 03, 2021 2:10 am

mr.barlow wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 10:28 pm
My question is: Are there any lyrics to songs in which Alice is given a song writing credit that were not written by him?

I understand that songwriting can be a collaboration in all aspects, and that song lyrics could be written by one or many of the writers. It seems that when a singer is credited as being a writer it is assumed by most that he/she was the composer of the lyrics. There are some incredible lyrics in the era of the original band and I wanted to know if Alice deserves much of the credit or if others should share in it too.

Also, what do you think are the best lyrics during your time in the band and also the worst
This is a complex question that calls for a marathon answer but I'll just pick a few examples.

We were a very collaborative group that developed most of our songs in the same room. Creating a good song from nothing is the hardest part. Making a good song into a great song can require changing it beyond recognition, or wisely knowing when to leave it as is. Sometimes I felt that me changing 10 words in one of Michael's songs didn't get me a writing credit when Alice changing 10 words did. But Alice's changes are almost always exceptionally valuable. Sometimes, I do think people (not necessarily people on this forum) give Alice credit for lyrics that were Michael's, like "Be My Lover".

As for our best lyrics, I might say "School's Out" is up there and that was a group effort. I'm proud that one of the lines that I contributed is "Can't even think of a word that rhymes."
"Generation Landslide" is exceptional and that's Alice. I think that's my favorite of his, even though "Blue Turk" is right up there.
I wrote the majority of "Under My Wheels", "Luney Tune", "Killer", "Gutter Cat", and "Black Juju" which I think is my best.
I like Neal's song "Hallowed Be My Name" and Michael's song "Beautiful Flyaway".
I'm just getting warmed up but I think you get the idea.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Mon May 03, 2021 8:51 am

Dreary wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 2:10 am
mr.barlow wrote:

This is a complex question that calls for a marathon answer but I'll just pick a few examples.

We were a very collaborative group that developed most of our songs in the same room. Creating a good song from nothing is the hardest part. Making a good song into a great song can require changing it beyond recognition, or wisely knowing when to leave it as is. Sometimes I felt that me changing 10 words in one of Michael's songs didn't get me a writing credit when Alice changing 10 words did. But Alice's changes are almost always exceptionally valuable. Sometimes, I do think people (not necessarily people on this forum) give Alice credit for lyrics that were Michael's, like "Be My Lover".

As for our best lyrics, I might say "School's Out" is up there and that was a group effort. I'm proud that one of the lines that I contributed is "Can't even think of a word that rhymes."
"Generation Landslide" is exceptional and that's Alice. I think that's my favorite of his, even though "Blue Turk" is right up there.
I wrote the majority of "Under My Wheels", "Luney Tune", "Killer", "Gutter Cat", and "Black Juju" which I think is my best.
I like Neal's song "Hallowed Be My Name" and Michael's song "Beautiful Flyaway".
I love Michael’s lyrics, vocals, piano on Beautiful Flyaway, probably my favourite song on Easy Action (along with Laughing at Me) always loved the DDT reference, which inspired me to make this little video for the song.
https://youtu.be/ItSvCQiHvhc
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Gilles27
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Gilles27 » Mon May 03, 2021 12:15 pm

Beautiful Flyaway is such a catchy song! I’ve been listening to Easy Action quite a lot recently and that song is so stuck in my head.

Love the video Steve!
Time is getting closer

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Mon May 03, 2021 12:32 pm

I really think most of the songs on this album could be used in Tarantino movies.
On my turntable constantly lately, great album

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Mon May 03, 2021 4:23 pm

steven_crayn wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:51 am
Dreary wrote:
mr.barlow wrote:

I love Michael’s lyrics, vocals, piano on Beautiful Flyaway, probably my favourite song on Easy Action (along with Laughing at Me) always loved the DDT reference, which inspired me to make this little video for the song.
And when DDT finally got banned in the US, we still imported food from other countries that had been sprayed with it.
Your video makes a strong point, however, I've always enjoyed the song as a pleasant message that rises above all of those kinds of problems.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Tue May 04, 2021 5:49 am

Gilles27 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:15 pm
Beautiful Flyaway is such a catchy song! I’ve been listening to Easy Action quite a lot recently and that song is so stuck in my head.

Love the video Steve!
Thank you
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Tue May 04, 2021 6:04 am

Dreary wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 4:23 pm
steven_crayn wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:51 am
Dreary wrote:

And when DDT finally got banned in the US, we still imported food from other countries that had been sprayed with it.
Your video makes a strong point, however, I've always enjoyed the song as a pleasant message that rises above all of those kinds of problems.
When i first heard the song in the 1970s before i knew it was Michael singing, i always wondered what “Alice” meant. Of course later when i found out it was Michael it put a different perspective on things, as growing up i thought i understood everything about Alice’s lyrics.

I used to write the words to the songs on the back of my school books! Back then before the internet if the lyrics weren’t on the inner sleeve or in magazines (there used to be one in England that printed the lyrics to the hits of the day) you could often mishear and misinterpret words. I love the song but always found it quite a melancholy yet beautiful tune and it makes me feel quite sad, but sad songs are usually my favourite, happy music isn’t as much fun!