16 Magazine 1973

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

livinluvin72
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

16 Magazine 1973

Post by livinluvin72 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:14 am

16 magazine came out with almost a 60 page magazine dedicated to Alice Cooper after the Spring 1973 Billion Dollar Babies tour wrapped.
Neal said the magazine was not "us" and I get that, but ever since I saw you guys on ABC's In Concert, I was buying every magazine with an Alice Cooper article and creating a scrap book.
After the band fell apart so did my scrap book. :/
All the articles I saw were really all about Alice, occasionally I could see a band member's hair behind Alice on stage or a guitar neck. Occasionally another member of the band would have a one line quote. I understand that Alice was the spokesperson but I when I saw the 16 magazine I was ecstatic!
I was 13 years old.
Finally, I could see the members of the band and read something about them.
It even had some great color photos of the BDB Show which were extremely rare for some reason.
Any comments on that AC magazine special?

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: 16 Magazine 1973

Post by Dreary » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:55 am

livinluvin72 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:14 am
16 magazine came out with almost a 60 page magazine dedicated to Alice Cooper after the Spring 1973 Billion Dollar Babies tour wrapped.
Neal said the magazine was not "us" and I get that, but ever since I saw you guys on ABC's In Concert, I was buying every magazine with an Alice Cooper article and creating a scrap book.
All the articles I saw were really all about Alice, occasionally I could see a band member's hair behind Alice on stage or a guitar neck. Occasionally another member of the band would have a one line quote. I understand that Alice was the spokesperson but I when I saw the 16 magazine I was ecstatic!
I was 13 years old.
It even had some great color photos of the BDB Show which were extremely rare for some reason.
I would have to see the 16 magazine that you're talking about before commenting on it. I will say that 16 magazine and Circus magazine were very good for us due to the younger age of their subscribers who "I'm Eighteen" and "School's Out" appealed to. As I understand it, Circus was loosing ground to the edgier rock magazines of the time when they started running articles about us. At the time, they were the only magazine that featured us in a starring light. So many of our fans bought Circus that it thrived, so it was a win win situation for the magazine and us. You might add another win for our loyal fans.

livinluvin72
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by livinluvin72 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:28 am

Here is the link to the magazine:

http://evenspotspeaks.blogspot.com/2014 ... alice.html

It is broken up into three parts. To view parts 2 and 3, scroll to the right and near the middle of the page you can see the links to parts 2 and 3.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:02 pm

livinluvin72 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:28 am

It is broken up into three parts. To view parts 2 and 3, scroll to the right and near the middle of the page you can see the links to parts 2 and 3.
Thanks for the link. I checked it out. 16 magazine is well written and nicely laid out. They knew their subscribers well. It was a bold move for them to include us in their teeny-bop format. That was the age group of our most faithful followers, and the contrast of our edgy image in what was known as a rather innocent magazine, validated our popularity among teenagers. Where else could you find out that my favorite color is green? And even though it wasn't anyone's goal, the affectionate tone of the article might have even taken some of the fury out of some parents opinions of us.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:40 am

livinluvin72 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:14 am
I was 13 years old.
I remember seeing the ad for that when I was 12 and really wanted it-Thank You for showing it.

I have about 10 scrapbooks starting from September 1975 or so and onward for about 40 years..a couple in precarious condition as You can imagine.
Always a treat if I could find anything on the original band...felt like that 13 year ol who found KILLER at the local library :clap: :clap:
"I need everything the world owes me..."

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:25 pm

I believe it is very collectable now as most of us cut out the pics for scrapbooks etc. I know I had at least three. I had never seen 16 before in Liverpool. I guess the popularity of the band pushed the circulation.

I do remember being very confused about certain band members liking Burt Bacharach and soothing music.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:55 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:25 pm
I believe it is very collectable now as most of us cut out the pics for scrapbooks etc. I know I had at least three. I had never seen 16 before in Liverpool. I guess the popularity of the band pushed the circulation.

I do remember being very confused about certain band members liking Burt Bacharach and soothing music.
We, Alice especially, liked Burt for his unusual arrangements. You can hear some of that in our songs.

livinluvin72
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by livinluvin72 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:27 am

Dreary wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:02 pm
livinluvin72 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:28 am

Thanks for the link. I checked it out. 16 magazine is well written and nicely laid out. They knew their subscribers well. It was a bold move for them to include us in their teeny-bop format. That was the age group of our most faithful followers, and the contrast of our edgy image in what was known as a rather innocent magazine, validated our popularity among teenagers. Where else could you find out that my favorite color is green? And even though it wasn't anyone's goal, the affectionate tone of the article might have even taken some of the fury out of some parents opinions of us.
It did.
I bought it during summer vacation while traveling with my parents to visit relatives. I was reading my incredible discovery in my grandfather's house while sitting on the living room couch. My Aunt and cousin were in the kitchen.
My aunt asked me what I was reading so intently. Before I could answer, my cousin said, “He’s reading about Alice Cooper” while she rolled her eyes, like, what’s wrong with this guy?
My aunt said, “Let me see it”.
I didn’t want to seem like I was hiding something so I walked over to her to let her see the magazine but I was full of trepidation. My aunt was a minister’s wife and she was a devout Christian and almost all her kids would end up going to Bible colleges.
Would she tear up the magazine? Would she take it from me? I was only 13. The picture on the front of Alice as half man half woman was pretty disgusting even for me, a fan.
I watched her flip through the pages, seeing all these guys in the band with ridiculously long hair in the early 70s. She paused on one of the Alice pages and picked out one picture and said, “He looks like David Cassidy in this picture”.
She gave the magazine back to me intact. No big deal. Whew!