Good to see you again,AC

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Good to see you again,AC

Post by scotty » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:10 am

Dennis,i was wondering what you thought of the good to see you again movie in hindsight? When I watch this I find the best way to watch is with Alice’s commentary on because there truly is some funny stories to go along with it. The concert footage is of course great.

Rod
Trash
Trash

Re: Good to see you again,AC

Post by Rod » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:34 am

If I may add a follow up to this, was any thought given to releasing only the concert? Or was it not considered that there would be a market for it at the time?

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:09 pm

scotty wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:10 am
Dennis,i was wondering what you thought of the good to see you again movie in hindsight? When I watch this I find the best way to watch is with Alice’s commentary on because there truly is some funny stories to go along with it. The concert footage is of course great.
I wish I had recorded the commentary while Cindy and her friend Linda were watching that film. Linda was working with Cindy at the Inside Outside Boutique in Hollywood when Joe and Shep came in. So Linda is somewhat of an insider. Well, fast forward to recent times, they each a glass of wine and their comments were priceless. Truly the real deal behind the scenes blackmail material hilarious stuff.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:17 pm

Rod wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:34 am
If I may add a follow up to this, was any thought given to releasing only the concert? Or was it not considered that there would be a market for it at the time?
It was likely a timing problem. The film company probably wanted people to have to see the film in order to hear the music. The record company probably didn't want it to get in the way of the MoL release, or Greatest Hits. As for making it available now, it probably depends on who has the masters (and what shape they're in) and how much it would cost.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:52 pm

Dreary wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:17 pm
Rod wrote:
It was likely a timing problem. The film company probably wanted people to have to see the film in order to hear the music. The record company probably didn't want it to get in the way of the MoL release, or Greatest Hits. As for making it available now, it probably depends on who has the masters (and what shape they're in) and how much it would cost.
Presumably Warner Brothers/Rhino have them, as the shows recorded provided both the soundtrack for GTSYA,AC AND the live tracks on the B$B deluxe CD 2Cd.

FYI I also think I remember Brian Nelson saying years ago that he had some of the original film reels which included alternate versions of songs (from the different nights filmed).

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:02 pm

Si wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:52 pm
Dreary wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:17 pm
Rod wrote:
Presumably Warner Brothers/Rhino have them, as the shows recorded provided both the soundtrack for GTSYA,AC AND the live tracks on the B$B deluxe CD 2Cd.

FYI I also think I remember Brian Nelson saying years ago that he had some of the original film reels which included alternate versions of songs (from the different nights filmed).
There was an issue with the bass that required me to go into the studio with Bob to re-record my bass tracks. I'm not sure where, but maybe at Morgan Studios.

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:27 pm

The skits were hilarious. The band should have been offered a TV series similar to The Monkees. Living in a cottage in the desert and the viewers following your exploits.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:03 pm

I despised the skits, i just never understood who it was marketed toward. I know humour is subjective but this just seemed a poor idea from the start. Was this discussed with the band or was it a shep and or alice deal?
I'd love the idea of cindy and linda recording a commentary track while drinking (they do a similar thing in the UK with the original series of doctor who, some priceless stories and hilarious reactions)
It would be awesome to hear you & Neal doing a commentary (maybe as a youtube/patreon type thing? Zack snyder recently did this with Man of steel and Batman v superman, they count down the start of the video, press play and have a watch along/commentary - i know i'd buy that for a dollar!)

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:06 pm

Apart from The Lady Is A Tramp the skits were awful. It would have been much better to have had interviews with the band, roadies, Cindy et al in a documentary style setting.

It is a travesty to have the No 1 album and tour in America and have this go out with little more than a whimper. Europe was crying out to see Alice Cooper and it never even got out of dock.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:45 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:06 pm
Apart from The Lady Is A Tramp the skits were awful. It would have been much better to have had interviews with the band, roadies, Cindy et al in a documentary style setting.

It is a travesty to have the No 1 album and tour in America and have this go out with little more than a whimper. Europe was crying out to see Alice Cooper and it never even got out of dock.
I think I made my feelings clear in my book. The band had spent years talking about what kind of film we would like to make. We hoped to get Salvador Dali involved. It would be artistic and controversial like our image. But the band's ideas were shut out of the process and Joe Gannon's ideas ruled. I cringed when we were making it and when I saw it in a theater, I wanted to crawl under my seat. The stage show wasn't to our liking either. We had tons of lighting above and below that plexiglass stage that wasn't used for the two nights that were filmed. The band played in the shadows.

livinluvin72
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by livinluvin72 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:55 am

The stage was awesome!
It was beautiful!
Nobody was doing stuff like that at the time.
No one had a stage that big with the great lighting.
Unfortunately nobody consulted the band on its design so there were problems that affected the bands ability to move around.
It was the biggest show on earth at the time that never really got documented properly.
The DVD release is very dark and you can't really see the band and sometimes it's hard to see Alice.
The inane low budget skits and shutting off the lights by the film crew during the live filming!
SMH.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:29 pm

livinluvin72 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:55 am
The stage was awesome!
It was beautiful!
Nobody was doing stuff like that at the time.
No one had a stage that big with the great lighting.
Unfortunately nobody consulted the band on its design so there were problems that affected the bands ability to move around.
It was the biggest show on earth at the time that never really got documented properly.
The DVD release is very dark and you can't really see the band and sometimes it's hard to see Alice.
The inane low budget skits and shutting off the lights by the film crew during the live filming!
SMH.
The metal posts were covered in extra large gold glitter that was so sharpe it would cut you with the slightest touch. It was dangerous for us on stage and also for our road crew that had to load it in, assemble it, then load it out for every show.
I had never heard of any film crew that requested less light. I found it interesting that, for most of their show, the WTMN band was kept in the shadows as well. Likely to clarify Alice as a solo entity, and perhaps to keep the audience from realizing it wasn't the Alice Cooper group.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:21 pm

Dreary wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:29 pm

I had never heard of any film crew that requested less light. I found it interesting that, for most of their show, the WTMN band was kept in the shadows as well. Likely to clarify Alice as a solo entity, and perhaps to keep the audience from realizing it wasn't the Alice Cooper group.
I always looked at WTMN as being more a "broadway" type show, and in such a show the musicians are rarely seen on the stage. I mean, chasing a cyclops around the stage and tripping over a guitarists lead kinda spoils the effect ;)

Many adverts and mainstream press reports (see 1975 timeline) for the WTMN shows actually listed the musicians in them, and of course the album also showed it wasn't the original band, so while I've seen people claiming they were surprised when the original band wasn't there, in honestly I think they just weren't paying attention! I'm not convinced they were ever purposely hiding the fact. In many ways oi was thw opposite
And of course during the show Wagner and Hunter had about 10 minutes all to themselves center stage!

KeithGale
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by KeithGale » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:23 am

Si wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:21 pm
Dreary wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:29 pm

I always looked at WTMN as being more a "broadway" type show, and in such a show the musicians are rarely seen on the stage. I mean, chasing a cyclops around the stage and tripping over a guitarists lead kinda spoils the effect ;)

Many adverts and mainstream press reports (see 1975 timeline) for the WTMN shows actually listed the musicians in them, and of course the album also showed it wasn't the original band, so while I've seen people claiming they were surprised when the original band wasn't there, in honestly I think they just weren't paying attention! I'm not convinced they were ever purposely hiding the fact. In many ways oi was thw opposite
And of course during the show Wagner and Hunter had about 10 minutes all to themselves center stage!
100% agree, the stage had the bed, the web and the magic screen, and of course, the dancers needed a relatively clear part of the stage for the choreography, I think the musicians having free reign of the stage would have been potentially dangerous.

Gilles27
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Gilles27 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:30 am

I also see no problem with hiding the band for WTMN or any shows after that, as people are paying to see Alice rather than the band. Hiding the band in any shows before WTMN is wrong though, as that would be like paying to see Black Sabbath and only seeing Ozzy.
Time is getting closer

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:05 am

Gilles27 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:30 am
I also see no problem with hiding the band for WTMN or any shows after that, as people are paying to see Alice rather than the band. Hiding the band in any shows before WTMN is wrong though, as that would be like paying to see Black Sabbath and only seeing Ozzy.
Good point.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:14 pm

Good To See You Again was just an awful title for a movie. It sounds like it could be something from Bing Crosby or Andy Williams.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:02 pm

I have to ask why was Michael Bruce airbrushed from the cover?

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:12 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:02 pm
I was told that they wanted the cover to have a cleaner look.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:00 pm

Dreary wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:12 am
pitkin88 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:02 pm
I was told that they wanted the cover to have a cleaner look.
Is there a photo available w/Michael on stage also?
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...