Flying Tigers

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

Post Reply
User avatar
Logan
Trash
Trash
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri May 15, 2020 7:48 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Flying Tigers

Post by Logan » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:54 pm

Have a live recording of Flying Tigers at Barnaby’s in Bridgeport Conn, 1979. Most of the songs are untitled but a few listed are “Sweet Dancer”, “Dirty Minds”, “Don’t Let Go”, “Love Is A Killer” and “Do You Wanna Know” which was my favorite song written by Neal that appeared on Michael’s ’83 solo. Then others are Alice Cooper and Battle Axe tunes.
I only wish this was a much better recording. Sounds like it was from a cassette tape.
Question is of course what happened?
Are there any official recordings?

If so any thought of releasing these recordings?
Any stories you can tell of this period?
Flying Tigers sounded like an amazing band. Thanks

User avatar
Dreary
Killer
Killer
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:46 am

Re: Flying Tigers

Post by Dreary » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:08 pm

Logan wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:54 pm
Have a live recording of Flying Tigers at Barnaby’s in Bridgeport Conn, 1979. Most of the songs are untitled but a few listed are “Sweet Dancer”, “Dirty Minds”, “Don’t Let Go”, “Love Is A Killer” and “Do You Wanna Know” which was my favorite song written by Neal that appeared on Michael’s ’83 solo. Then others are Alice Cooper and Battle Axe tunes.
I only wish this was a much better recording. Sounds like it was from a cassette tape.
Question is of course what happened?
Are there any official recordings?

If so any thought of releasing these recordings?
Any stories you can tell of this period?
Flying Tigers sounded like an amazing band. Thanks
"Dream Dancer", "Ride With Me", "Dirty Mind", "Runaway", "Rock and Roll Show", "Cold Woman", "American in Paris", "Tonight", "Millionaire", "On a Spree", "Liar", "Around the World", "Tell Your Mother", "Lay It On The Line", and "Red Blooded American Girl", were some of the Flying Tigers songs.
I have cassettes of recordings that we did in Neal's home studio but his cassette tape deck had worn heads so the quality isn't great. Neal had the reel to reel tapes.
We also recorded four songs in a real studio with the great Jerry Wexler, but I haven't been able to find my copy of those.
Flying Tigers were a raunchy bar band with a solid following. We had many rowdy nights and tons of fun on stage. Neal and I were on the same wavelength, but the guitar playing singers, Paul Roy and Dave Stackman, were on another wavelength. They came to life on a live stage but always seemed bored with rehearsals and recording. Neal and I were always energetic. Jerry Wexler only saw the band in the studio.
We had the interest of promoter Ron Delsner for management. But last minute, Ron decided he wouldn't have enough time to represent us properly. When he bowed out, so did Wexler.


e

User avatar
padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:40 pm

Re: Flying Tigers

Post by padre_sliprat » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:10 am

I was in the hospital in maybe 1979 or 1980. My aunt brought me a music magazine and there was an article about the Flying Tigers inside. I was shocked that you and Neal had much shorter hair. Neal said something to the effect that you guys had recorded the world's first platinum tapes. :D Anyway, there was a gig in Fort Wayne by a band called Flying Tigers. Same band?
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

User avatar
Dreary
Killer
Killer
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:46 am

Re: Flying Tigers

Post by Dreary » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:52 am

padre_sliprat wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:10 am
I was in the hospital in maybe 1979 or 1980. My aunt brought me a music magazine and there was an article about the Flying Tigers inside. I was shocked that you and Neal had much shorter hair. Neal said something to the effect that you guys had recorded the world's first platinum tapes. :D Anyway, there was a gig in Fort Wayne by a band called Flying Tigers. Same band?
Platinum Tapes! Ha ha!
Our Flying Tigers never played in Fort Wayne. We were a New York City tri-state area band. Likely us in the article though.

forglasgowonly
Trash
Trash
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:43 pm

Re: Flying Tigers

Post by forglasgowonly » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:37 pm

Wait..there were two Flying Tigers! Made me wonder how many performing artists called Alice Cooper were out there in the late 60's. Coulda led to some hilarious booking mix up's. But I guess that was the whole point of the name anyway. Dennis, thanks again for doing this for the fans. Much appreciated.

User avatar
Si
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 3920
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 5:47 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Flying Tigers

Post by Si » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:13 pm

forglasgowonly wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:37 pm
Wait..there were two Flying Tigers! Made me wonder how many performing artists called Alice Cooper were out there in the late 60's. Coulda led to some hilarious booking mix up's. But I guess that was the whole point of the name anyway. Dennis, thanks again for doing this for the fans. Much appreciated.
There appears to have been a lounge act called "the Spiders" around in the late 60s Arizona/Nevada area. Found a few adverts that couldn't have been our boys.

User avatar
Logan
Trash
Trash
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri May 15, 2020 7:48 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Flying Tigers

Post by Logan » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:37 pm

Found a Flying Tigers article from Rock Scene at
https://evenspotspeaks.blogspot.com/sea ... ing+tigers

User avatar
Dreary
Killer
Killer
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:46 am

Re: Flying Tigers

Post by Dreary » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:53 pm

Si wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:13 pm
forglasgowonly wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:37 pm
Wait..there were two Flying Tigers! Made me wonder how many performing artists called Alice Cooper were out there in the late 60's. Coulda led to some hilarious booking mix up's. But I guess that was the whole point of the name anyway. Dennis, thanks again for doing this for the fans. Much appreciated.
There appears to have been a lounge act called "the Spiders" around in the late 60s Arizona/Nevada area. Found a few adverts that couldn't have been our boys.
I didn't know about another band called the Spiders, but perhaps they took on the name to help them get gigs after we became the Nazz, which also was a duplicate. Al Kooper once told me that we had no idea what we had done to his audiences. My favorite story came from cello player Yo Yo Ma who said he played a gig with an unusual turnout, and later found out that there was a popular hometown hip hop group called Yo Ma Ma.

User avatar
Dreary
Killer
Killer
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:46 am

Re: Flying Tigers

Post by Dreary » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:57 pm

Logan wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:37 pm
Found a Flying Tigers article from Rock Scene at
https://evenspotspeaks.blogspot.com/sea ... ing+tigers
Thanks for posting. I have this article somewhere. I didn't read all of what you posted but I got a laugh out of the very first thing I did read where Paul Roy said he thought, any resurgence to Heavy Metal will be short lived.

User avatar
steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1872
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:56 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:

Re: Flying Tigers

Post by steven_crayn » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:47 pm

Dreary wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:53 pm
Si wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:13 pm
forglasgowonly wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:37 pm
Wait..there were two Flying Tigers! Made me wonder how many performing artists called Alice Cooper were out there in the late 60's. Coulda led to some hilarious booking mix up's. But I guess that was the whole point of the name anyway. Dennis, thanks again for doing this for the fans. Much appreciated.
There appears to have been a lounge act called "the Spiders" around in the late 60s Arizona/Nevada area. Found a few adverts that couldn't have been our boys.
I didn't know about another band called the Spiders, but perhaps they took on the name to help them get gigs after we became the Nazz, which also was a duplicate. Al Kooper once told me that we had no idea what we had done to his audiences. My favorite story came from cello player Yo Yo Ma who said he played a gig with an unusual turnout, and later found out that there was a popular hometown hip hop group called Yo Ma Ma.
Their was a band from Japan call The Spiders, here is a track from their 5th album released in March 1967.
https://youtu.be/vD8lBbk9NCs
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

User avatar
Dreary
Killer
Killer
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:46 am

Re: Flying Tigers

Post by Dreary » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:26 pm

steven_crayn wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:47 pm
Dreary wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:53 pm
Si wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:13 pm


There appears to have been a lounge act called "the Spiders" around in the late 60s Arizona/Nevada area. Found a few adverts that couldn't have been our boys.
I didn't know about another band called the Spiders, but perhaps they took on the name to help them get gigs after we became the Nazz, which also was a duplicate. Al Kooper once told me that we had no idea what we had done to his audiences. My favorite story came from cello player Yo Yo Ma who said he played a gig with an unusual turnout, and later found out that there was a popular hometown hip hop group called Yo Ma Ma.
Their was a band from Japan call The Spiders, here is a track from their 5th album released in March 1967.
https://youtu.be/vD8lBbk9NCs
Oh, right. I neglected to mention the Japanese band. That's why we changed our name to the Nazz.

User avatar
steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1872
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:56 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:

Re: Flying Tigers

Post by steven_crayn » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:21 am

.
Last edited by steven_crayn on Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

User avatar
steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1872
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:56 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:

Re: Flying Tigers

Post by steven_crayn » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:24 am

Dreary wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:26 pm
steven_crayn wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:47 pm
Dreary wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:53 pm

I didn't know about another band called the Spiders, but perhaps they took on the name to help them get gigs after we became the Nazz, which also was a duplicate. Al Kooper once told me that we had no idea what we had done to his audiences. My favorite story came from cello player Yo Yo Ma who said he played a gig with an unusual turnout, and later found out that there was a popular hometown hip hop group called Yo Ma Ma.
There was a band from Japan called The Spiders, here is a track from their 5th album released in March 1967.
https://youtu.be/vD8lBbk9NCs
Oh, right. I neglected to mention the Japanese band. That's why we changed our name to the Nazz.
I thought that was the case, i had some notes written down about that being the reason, but thought i was mistaken for a moment, i think it must have been when i posted the link a few years ago on Facebook i think you commented about that being the reason.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

User avatar
steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1872
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:56 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:

Re: Flying Tigers

Post by steven_crayn » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am

steven_crayn wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:24 am
Dreary wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:26 pm
steven_crayn wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:47 pm


There was a band from Japan called The Spiders, here is a track from their 5th album released in March 1967.
https://youtu.be/vD8lBbk9NCs
Oh, right. I neglected to mention the Japanese band. That's why we changed our name to the Nazz.
Plus of course you mentioned it in chapter 2 of your book which is why i keep going back to it for things i forget.

It’s great now i also have the audio book, as i speak the book is coming more alive as you recount Neal smashing his drums to smithereens in the Holy Grail as the Phoenix Police walked onstage, there is more impact now with you reading the story to me, than me reading the book, it’s good to have both options.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

User avatar
Dreary
Killer
Killer
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:46 am

Re: Flying Tigers

Post by Dreary » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:57 pm

steven_crayn wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am
steven_crayn wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:24 am
Dreary wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:26 pm

Oh, right. I neglected to mention the Japanese band. That's why we changed our name to the Nazz.
Plus of course you mentioned it in chapter 2 of your book which is why i keep going back to it for things i forget.

It’s great now i also have the audio book, as i speak the book is coming more alive as you recount Neal smashing his drums to smithereens in the Holy Grail as the Phoenix Police walked onstage, there is more impact now with you reading the story to me, than me reading the book, it’s good to have both options.
I don't know why it came as a surprise but the audiobook brought some especially moving compliments from blind people.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 4338
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:25 am
Location: calif

Re: Flying Tigers

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:09 pm

I wish Neal would have unearthed The Flying Tigers tracks rather than Pop!

Post Reply