Never Been Sold Before

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Never Been Sold Before

Post by VinceRaven » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:21 pm

Hey Dennis,

Almost every time I listen to this song, I wonder why it's got such a long fadeout. At nearly two minutes long, it's colossal.

Was there any specific thinking behind it being on the record like this?

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Never Been Sold Before

Post by patrick » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:47 pm

One of my favourits !
I remember an article at the time MOL was released, where Alice says that some "mistakes" were made whilst recording this album, but they deliberately let them be. Don't know if this is an example ..
you really wouldn't understand..

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:47 pm

This should have been the first single from MoL.
Catchy song and and with a good edit it could have been a huge hit.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:23 pm

VinceRaven wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:21 pm
Hey Dennis,

Almost every time I listen to this song, I wonder why it's got such a long fadeout. At nearly two minutes long, it's colossal.

Was there any specific thinking behind it being on the record like this?
Jack Richardson had a reputation for long fadeouts. I think some of the reasoning was that DJs liked to talk over them and would do their own fadeouts as they desired. Stereo fades had to end equally. If one side ended even minutely later than the other side, as quiet as it was, it still stood out like a bad mistake and the whole mix had to be redone. When it got to the very end of any fadeout, a quite room watched Jack do his magic.

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:41 am

I always felt that the riff to “Never Been Sold Before” was “borrowed” by Nazareth for “Hair of the Dog.”

livinluvin72
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by livinluvin72 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:02 am

When I saw the video for "It's Only Rock and Roll" by the Rolling Stones, they were all wearing sailor suits like the AC Band did on the Muscle of Love album; coincidence?

Muscle of Love came out at least 6 months earlier than the Stones video.

You know the Stones and Led Zeppelin were watching Alice Cooper.

In 1973, they were saying to themselves; "Did Alice Cooper just pass us?" They've got the number 1 album in the country and they have the biggest rock and roll tour in history!

How the **** did that happen?"

Yea, they were watching.

Shep said it on the VH-1 doc.

"We were right at the edge of taking over the universe."

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:27 am

"NBSB" is a killer track! Love how the second guitar just jumps in-used to turn the balance over to one speaker, so I could hear that part clearly. Good times.
TL
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:47 pm

tuneylune wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:27 am
"NBSB" is a killer track! Love how the second guitar just jumps in-used to turn the balance over to one speaker, so I could hear that part clearly. Good times.
TL
I used to have a stereo power amp that, if I partially plugged in my headphones RCA jack just right, I would get the the left channel doubled rather than left and right. It was amazing on certain songs. That could likely be done by plugging in two sets of headphones and listening to both left, or both right channels.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:20 pm

I love Mick Mashbir’s guitar solo on that track. He also said he wrote the music for the verse but didn’t get a credit.

His playing on that album is great, love the trading guitar solos with Michael Bruce on ‘Hard Hearted Alice’ which he says he also wrote the music for the chorus.

And his solo on Woman Machine is great too.

I think my favourite solos on that album though are Dick Wagner on Big Apple Dreaming (he also plays the solo on Working up a Sweat) and Michael Bruce’s solo on Teenage Lament 74, proving Michael played a nice lead guitar too.

Best Mick Mashbir solo though, has to be what he did on the Slick Black Limousine flexi disc that is fantastic slide playing what a great player. Really liked his lead guitar on No More Mister Nice Guy too. An important figure in the history of the group.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV