easy action

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

easy action

Post by patrick » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:23 pm

Hi Dennis
a few questions on Easy Action
i bought this record as my third ACG record ( BDB and LITD being the first ones).
It was only until much later I found out that Michael Bruce sang on Beautiful Fly Away : was there a specific reason for this and am I correct that this happened only once ?
a minor detail on Shoe Salesman : there is a line about marks on an arm in a line, freckles... At first I thought it might have been numbers faded away like some prisoners of WW II had, but some one here told me years ago it might have been scars from drug injection .. Correct ?
Always wondered why Easy Action , being so much more accessible than PFY, didn't get the attention it deserved....
Thanks for being here !
you really wouldn't understand..

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: easy action

Post by Babysquid » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:05 pm

patrick wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:23 pm
Hi Dennis
i bought this record as my third ACG record ( BDB and LITD being the first ones).
It was only until much later I found out that Michael Bruce sang on Beautiful Fly Away : was there a specific reason for this and am I correct that this happened only once ?
a minor detail on Shoe Salesman : there is a line about marks on an arm in a line, freckles... At first I thought it might have been numbers faded away like some prisoners of WW II had, but some one here told me years ago it might have been scars from drug injection .. Correct ?
Always wondered why Easy Action , being so much more accessible than PFY, didn't get the attention it deserved....
Thanks for being here !
Patrick I don’t think it was just the once as he sang the lead on “Below Your Means” on the same Lp as well as most of “Sing Low Sweet Cheerio” from Pretties. Unless of course I’m mistaken.
Strangely I always found Pretties the more accessible record of the two LA albums.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: easy action

Post by Dreary » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:58 pm

Babysquid wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:05 pm
patrick wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:23 pm
Hi Dennis
Thanks for being here !
Patrick I don’t think it was just the once as he sang the lead on “Below Your Means” on the same Lp as well as most of “Sing Low Sweet Cheerio” from Pretties. Unless of course I’m mistaken.
Strangely I always found Pretties the more accessible record of the two LA albums.
Right, Michael also sang on those other songs.
"Beautiful Flyaway" always makes me imagine Michael as a little kid (like Mozart) playing a little piano. I'm proud of my bass parts, tempo variations and all, because it was somewhat spontaneous yet tight.
When fans heard Michael sing, they would say he sounded like Alice, but it was the other way around. Most of our songs began with Michael singing and Alice was great at imitating him. Then Alice's teenage voice changed and he developed his own gritty style.
"Shoe Salesman" was about an addict. 1960's radio had several hit songs that had lyrics that were double-entendre, like "Puff The Magic Dragon" and "The Candy Man" witch seemed way too innocent to have those underlying meanings.
As for Easy Action getting a slow start. Part of it's lack of promotion was due to contractual differences. Bizarre didn't want to pay for another AC album. That's why we were rushed into the studio to record it.
Also, it often took years to break a new band. So, when someone would finally decide to give us a chance and buy an AC album, we had already released a newer album, so they would buy that instead. That even happened to LITD. Killer, SO, and B$B became gold and platinum before LITD.
In my travels, meeting lots of fans, I'm happy to say that PFY and EA each have their own hard core following.