The Schools Out album

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

forglasgowonly
Trash
Trash

The Schools Out album

Post by forglasgowonly » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:20 pm

Dennis, firstly I would like to thank you for doing this, and engaging with the fanbase in this way. It was a dream to see you all at the recent Glasgow gig.
Schools Out is my favourite album. When I was 11 years old I bought an old typewriter at a jumble sale, and attempted to type out all the lyrics on the albums (from Easy Action onwards). I gave up with My Stars.
1] Do you think printed lyrics inserts are helpful, or is there more scope for imagination when you allow people to interpret them in their own way?
2] The band photo on the inside of the lid is my favourite shot of the band. Dark and menacing, but tinged with gutter glitter. What do you remember about the photo shoot?
3] Was Grande Finale always part of the plan (I love it btw), or were you moving so fast in those days that you were a song short, and Ezrin put it together?

Thanks again

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: The Schools Out album

Post by Dreary » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:57 pm

forglasgowonly wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:20 pm
Dennis, firstly I would like to thank you for doing this, and engaging with the fanbase in this way. It was a dream to see you all at the recent Glasgow gig.
Schools Out is my favourite album. When I was 11 years old I bought an old typewriter at a jumble sale, and attempted to type out all the lyrics on the albums (from Easy Action onwards). I gave up with My Stars.
1] Do you think printed lyrics inserts are helpful, or is there more scope for imagination when you allow people to interpret them in their own way?
2] The band photo on the inside of the lid is my favourite shot of the band. Dark and menacing, but tinged with gutter glitter. What do you remember about the photo shoot?
3] Was Grande Finale always part of the plan (I love it btw), or were you moving so fast in those days that you were a song short, and Ezrin put it together?

Thanks again
I like looking at printed lyrics when hearing a new album, even though I rarely refer to them more than once.
I decided to be the guy in the trash can with a pistol. My shoes are in front of the can. Afterward, I couldn't get out of the can so by close considerate buddies were rolling me across the floor "trying" to get me out.
Grande Finale was Bob's idea, mainly because we had just gotten a Moog synthesizer. We thought it tied in because that melody, Walk On The Wild Side, was used in the opening scene of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof where the black cat is prowling around the alleyway.

livinluvin72
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by livinluvin72 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:50 pm

It’s funny about that B&W band photo in the School’s Out album. For over 3 decades, I was disturbed that you were not in the photo! It was just Glen, Mike, Neal and Alice; no Dennis!
Where was Dennis? Why isn’t he in the photo? Was he sick that day? Did they not bother to invite him?
Over three decades later I came across the same exact photo on the internet, only it was lighter and there you were, as you say, scrunched down in the can with your shoes outside the can, (very clever) 😊.
The vinyl album I bought in 72 had this photo under exposed and there was nothing but dark shadows over you. You were invisible. :(

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:31 am

livinluvin72 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:50 pm
It’s funny about that B&W band photo in the School’s Out album. For over 3 decades, I was disturbed that you were not in the photo! It was just Glen, Mike, Neal and Alice; no Dennis!
Where was Dennis? Why isn’t he in the photo? Was he sick that day? Did they not bother to invite him?
Over three decades later I came across the same exact photo on the internet, only it was lighter and there you were, as you say, scrunched down in the can with your shoes outside the can, (very clever) 😊.
The vinyl album I bought in 72 had this photo under exposed and there was nothing but dark shadows over you. You were invisible. :(
I preferred it that way. Years later, you discovered it! That makes my day!

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:45 am

Dreary wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:31 am
livinluvin72 wrote:
I had a hard time finding You as well :blush: ! My Mom got Me SCHOOL'S OUT and BILLION DOLLAR BABIES the same . Thanks to the inside of BDB was able to put faces to name and wondered why there were only four members in the picture in SO
Finally saw You by the Garbage can in THE LIFE AND CRIMES OF ALICE COOPER Box set book ...maybe the pictures were lighter than in SO.
Thank You
TL
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:37 pm

tuneylune wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:45 am
Dreary wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:31 am
livinluvin72 wrote:
I had a hard time finding You as well :blush: ! My Mom got Me SCHOOL'S OUT and BILLION DOLLAR BABIES the same . Thanks to the inside of BDB was able to put faces to name and wondered why there were only four members in the picture in SO
Finally saw You by the Garbage can in THE LIFE AND CRIMES OF ALICE COOPER Box set book ...maybe the pictures were lighter than in SO.
Thank You
TL
Coincidentally, Warner Bros. first test of the Billion Dollar Babies album photos had cropped the hooker, the pimp, and I out of the photo. Luckily we had artistic control and made them correct it.

Logan
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Logan » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:41 pm

I remember the first time I played School’s Out album I loved “Blue Turk” on first spin it's amazing. 
Did you ever perform this live even though I know you didn’t have a traveling horn section just for one number but any attempt or discussion to do a live version?
Thanks

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:58 pm

Logan wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:41 pm
I remember the first time I played School’s Out album I loved “Blue Turk” on first spin it's amazing. 
Did you ever perform this live even though I know you didn’t have a traveling horn section just for one number but any attempt or discussion to do a live version?
Thanks
I think we ran it down a couple of times at sound-checks and decided it wasn't quite right for a live show.
I'm glad that you like it though.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:18 am

Dreary wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:58 pm
Logan wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:41 pm
Thanks
I think we ran it down a couple of times at sound-checks and decided it wasn't quite right for a live show.
I'm glad that you like it though.
Truly, what's not to like? Those Bass runs You open and close the song with are so cool...could be used in a Noir film.
TL
"I need everything the world owes me..."