ABC In Concert

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

livinluvin72
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

ABC In Concert

Post by livinluvin72 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:40 am

Hello Dennis,
I’ve been a fan of the band since 1972 when I was 12. Although I had the School’s Out single vinyl disc with Gutter Cat v.s. The Jets on the flip side, I really became a fan after seeing the ABC In Concert performance taped at Hofstra University during the School’s Out tour.
The show was stunning to behold in living color. Glen was at his peak on this tour and the band was really tight. Looking at the time line; the broadcast happened November 24, 1972 but by that time you guys were touring Europe so you probably never saw the broadcast.
I understand at least one local affiliate pulled the show mid-performance while it was airing and replaced it with Rawhide angering many of your young fans. Fortunately, I got to see the whole show.
Can you tell us something about that show? I never heard any of the band members or Shep mention the show. To me and perhaps to many others, this show was pivotal to fans who didn’t live near a big city or were not old enough to go to a concert so far from home.
Did Shep just tell you guys before the show, “Hey look guys, ABC will be filming the show for a new TV concert series they’re developing and we’re going to be on the first broadcast so look out for the cameras”.
Unlike GTSYAAC, the ABC video quality was excellent and so was the sound. It’s a shame ABC has never issued a retrospective DVD collection of many of these performances.
There are crappy boot copies on YouTube but they are nowhere near the original quality, which was exceptional as I remember it.
Have you heard anything about why this was never released on DVD?
Thanks,
Bob

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: ABC In Concert

Post by Dreary » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:26 am

By that time, we were way too busy to keep track of anything that we had just done. We had no rear view mirror. We loved college audiences and this was a good one. We were all hams so whenever a camera was around, especially a big camera, it was to be milked. We knew how to do that. We provided a show that allowed Alice to be theatrical. I've seen some low quality footage but I don't think I've ever seen anything decent.
I haven't heard anything about a DVD.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:17 am

This is the best quality version on the web, i remastered the audio as best i could.
https://vimeo.com/370495580
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

livinluvin72
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by livinluvin72 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:30 am

Thanks Steven! I'll bookmark this version!