Joe Bouchard

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Joe Bouchard

Post by tuneylune » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:17 pm

Hello Mr Dunaway,

With C19 and cold New England weather limiting outside activities, have been spending more time playing CD's and have truly enjoyed spinning ELECTROCUTION OF THE HEART both BDS albums and particularly the three Blue Coupe albums. There certainly is a chemistry between You and Joe with a lot of stellar tracks.

Some questions:

1-Know You met the Bouchards on the KILLER tour-was there ever an opportunity to jam or was time too tight?

2-Noticed many shared songwriting credits-Do You write together or bring in individual work?

3-Other than the obvious choices ("School's Out", "Don't Fear The Reaper" etc). how does the band decide which ACG/BOC songs will be played?

4-Whenever things return to normal, any plans to tour?

Thanks very much.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Joe Bouchard

Post by Dreary » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:05 pm

We didn't get much of a chance to jam during the tours but I would go to Joe's house, or we would go to Neal's house fairly often. Or we would jam with Albert in New York City or at Donald Buck Dharma's parties. We were musicians that hung out together.
We're all collaborators, so whenever any of us had an idea for a song, the rest were welcome to try to improve it. We didn't worry about who would get writing credits. We liked some songs as they were. And some songs like "Vampire Night" blossomed from a jam.
Other than a few suggestions, Blue Coupe let Joe decide each night's set list. He's good at reading the crowd and at throwing in a few surprises. We once did a festival in France and someone called out "Fallen Angel" that BÖC had recorded their version of, and Bouchard, Dunaway, & Smith had recorded a different version of. While Blue Coupe were walking to the stage in France, we discussed the arrangement with Albert and played it in our show.
As for plans to tour? Nothing definite now but I love performing live, so sure.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:50 am

Dreary wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:05 pm
We didn't get much of a chance to jam during the tours but I would go to Joe's house, or we would go to Neal's house fairly often. Or we would jam with Albert in New York City or at Donald Buck Dharma's parties. We were musicians that hung out together.
We're all collaborators, so whenever any of us had an idea for a song, the rest were welcome to try to improve it. We didn't worry about who would get writing credits. We liked some songs as they were. And some songs like "Vampire Night" blossomed from a jam.
Other than a few suggestions, Blue Coupe let Joe decide each night's set list. He's good at reading the crowd and at throwing in a few surprises. We once did a festival in France and someone called out "Fallen Angel" that BÖC had recorded their version of, and Bouchard, Dunaway, & Smith had recorded a different version of. While Blue Coupe were walking to the stage in France, we discussed the arrangement with Albert and played it in our show.
As for plans to tour? Nothing definite now but I love performing live, so sure.
Since you lived close to Neal, I heard a story from a local MD rock band called D.C. Star that played in that area during the late '70's in a club close to Neal's. The drummer broke his snare head & all the shops were closed! :( The owner called Neal & Neal helped out with a replacement. Do you know what the name of club was? I was told that Neal helped out a lot there. Thanks, DD
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:35 pm

Neal could have loaned some equipment to D.C. Star in one of several clubs that we frequented back then. Toad's, The Oxford Ale House, or perhaps more likely, the Night Owl or the Westport Playhouse. If you're interested, Tony Renzoni is close to completing a book about Connecticut clubs of that era. It will talk about the Flying Tigers band that Neal and I had.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:20 pm

Did The Flying Tigers record anything in the studio Dennis? Or any home demos.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:38 am

Neal had the reel to reel demos, and most of the live board cassettes. Hopefully they're still in tact. We did some demos in a real studio with the great Jerry Wexler but a record deal wasn't in the stars at that time.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:47 pm

Dreary wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:35 pm
Neal could have loaned some equipment to D.C. Star in one of several clubs that we frequented back then. Toad's, The Oxford Ale House, or perhaps more likely, the Night Owl or the Westport Playhouse. If you're interested, Tony Renzoni is close to completing a book about Connecticut clubs of that era. It will talk about the Flying Tigers band that Neal and I had.
Hi Dr. D.
FYI for you & Neal,
I managed to touch base with the drummer & he said it was "The Night Owl" in Norwalk, Connecticut.
He said Neal really bailed him out that night & always thought is was great that he did help!
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:52 pm

The Flying Tigers had some rowdy crowds at that venue. Hard core following though.