Hotel Room/Property damage

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Hotel Room/Property damage

Post by Dannorama » Fri May 17, 2024 3:33 pm

Isn’t it ironic that your band was considered to be the worst of the worst, but there aren’t any big stories about you guys destroying hotel rooms, property, etc. The more I read, the more it seems like wrecking stuff was expected of 70s rock stars - almost a requirement. I looked through your book, and searched a bit online, but came up short. You guys must have done something, right? Got any stories?
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: Hotel Room/Property damage

Post by Ted Sallis » Fri May 17, 2024 6:07 pm

I just wanted to mention that I've only come across one source regarding the subject of this thread that involved the ACG or rather one Member of the Group, along with several non-Group 'accomplices'. The source is Bob Greene's BDB book and the Group Member in question was a certain 'Platinum God'. I won't add any details at the moment except to state that the incident apparently occurred during the BDB Holiday Tour in Dec. 1973 and it only happened one night/at one Hotel during the Tour (according to what's in the book).

Let's see what Dennis' reply might be..

Ted

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Sat May 18, 2024 2:39 pm

Yes, there was a night where a vending machine swallowed Neal's quarter and refused to fork over a can of soda and wound up at the bottom of some stairs (when the police knocked on the door of Neal's room, he answered with a Gideon Bible in his hand).

Then there was the time the roadies celebrated the Brazil tour's end by trashing their room at the Copacabana Hotel in Rio causing the band to be evicted and relocated to a not so fancy hotel.

Other than that, we didn't destroy hotel rooms, although we did swipe pillows and fire extinguishers for our shows.

Reasons being #1 Trashing hotel rooms had become the thing to do for so many bands and we didn't want to be like other bands. #2 We made our rebellious presence known verbally and with the way we looked. #3 Our early tours were funded with bounced checks to the point where most hotel chains had black-balled us. To Joe and Shep's credit, when we became more successful, they paid all of those hotel bills, and the band felt appreciative that they allowed us back.

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Sun May 19, 2024 2:29 pm

Dreary wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 2:39 pm
Yes, there was a night where a vending machine swallowed Neal's quarter and refused to fork over a can of soda and wound up at the bottom of some stairs.

#3 Our early tours were funded with bounced checks to the point where most hotel chains had black-balled us. To Joe and Shep's credit, when we became more successful, they paid all of those hotel bills, and the band felt appreciative that they allowed us back.
Thanks for your as always very informative answers. Re. the incident in my previous comment; a vending machine's involvement in the incident was mentioned in the BDB book. It was also mentioned that Shep and Road Manager David Libert met with the Hotel Manager the next day and managed to get the final bill for all damages considerably reduced (fortunately for Neal).

I've also read Alice's biography (Me, Alice) within which Alice states that the Group (Shep and Joe actually) paid all of their outstanding Hotel bills upon becoming more successful.

Ted

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Sun May 19, 2024 2:41 pm

Yes! Thanks as always Dennis and Ted. I'm still registering the fact that it only cost a quarter to get something from the vending machine. Gotta love that inflation rate. Not.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sun May 19, 2024 8:50 pm

Dannorama wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 2:41 pm
Yes! Thanks as always Dennis and Ted. I'm still registering the fact that it only cost a quarter to get something from the vending machine. Gotta love that inflation rate. Not.
"Put A Dime in The Jukebox" - "I Love Rock'n'Roll" - (Joan Jett cover) was great! We also used to get 3 for a quarter!
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Wed May 22, 2024 9:18 am

Dreary wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 2:39 pm
Yes, there was a night where a vending machine swallowed Neal's quarter and refused to fork over a can of soda and wound up at the bottom of some stairs (when the police knocked on the door of Neal's room, he answered with a Gideon Bible in his hand).

Then there was the time the roadies celebrated the Brazil tour's end by trashing their room at the Copacabana Hotel in Rio causing the band to be evicted and relocated to a not so fancy hotel.

Other than that, we didn't destroy hotel rooms, although we did swipe pillows and fire extinguishers for our shows.

Reasons being #1 Trashing hotel rooms had become the thing to do for so many bands and we didn't want to be like other bands. #2 We made our rebellious presence known verbally and with the way we looked. #3 Our early tours were funded with bounced checks to the point where most hotel chains had black-balled us. To Joe and Shep's credit, when we became more successful, they paid all of those hotel bills, and the band felt appreciative that they allowed us back.
Probably another reason is because You saved Your energies for the show and didn't have the desire to engage in destruction. It used to puzzle Me how performers had the stamina for that, particularly Keith Moon (with his frantic style) and John Bonham (Three hour plus sets with a long drum solo involved).

Thanks as always, DR D
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Wed May 22, 2024 2:45 pm

tuneylune wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 9:18 am
Probably another reason is because You saved Your energies for the show and didn't have the desire to engage in destruction. It used to puzzle Me how performers had the stamina for that, particularly Keith Moon (with his frantic style) and John Bonham (Three hour plus sets with a long drum solo involved).
I think the stamina displayed by performers like Moon and Bonham could have been fueled at least in part by the intake of certain substances.

Ted

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Fri May 24, 2024 6:24 am

Ted Sallis wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 2:45 pm
tuneylune wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 9:18 am
I think the stamina displayed by performers like Moon and Bonham could have been fueled at least in part by the intake of certain substances.

Ted
That probably is very true :) ...or in Moon's case, He was just naturally wired.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Fri May 24, 2024 3:13 pm

There was the time when we were touring with Flo & Eddie (Mark Volman and Howard Kaylan) when both bands were staying at a motel in Texas and one of the guys in their band "short-sheeted" Howard's bed, so when he climbed into his perfectly made bed he could only stretch his legs halfway due to the sheet being folded in half.

So the following night, Howard waited until the culprit was out partying and, with help from Mark, the culprit's mattress was dragged out and dunked in the outdoor swimming pool, then returned to the culprit's room where the bed was made to look normal.