Man With The Golden Gun

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Man With The Golden Gun

Post by VinceRaven » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:52 pm

Hey Dennis,

Can you share some thoughts on how you put this song together?

I'm especially intrigued as to how the prospect of it being used as the theme to the new Bond film influenced the various musical elements you included. How much extra effort, if any, went into being cinematic for this one?

And, since it's Friday, do you have a favourite Bond theme?

Thanks

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Man With The Golden Gun

Post by Dreary » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:21 pm

Vince and I used to go to a local Drive-In near my house (my parent's home) in Phoenix. We saw the Pink Panther films, Psycho, Edgar Allen Poe's Tell-Tale Heart trilogy, and the Bond films. We noticed that at the very end of each James Bond film, following the final credits, the very last thing you saw on the screen was the name of the next Bond film.

Later on, we found out that Neal was also aware of this. In 1973, the band saw Live and Let Die and had already planned to find out what the next film title was so we could write the title track.

As for writing the song, like most people, we were quite familiar with John Barry's style and did our best to come up with riffs and melodies true to his legacy. It was a full on collaboration with everyone working together in the rehearsal room under Jack Richardson's expert talent for helping us arrange the parts so they would accommodate the horns that were to be added later. I leaned on Jack as a fellow bassists for ideas in the middle section, and we decided to have the low piano note double the opening bass riff for a orchestral feel (I had also done that on Hello Hooray). All of the various parts were complex but our unified goal was clear so they fell together fairly easily.

The icing on the cake is Liza Minnelli's amazingly high background vocals.

Unfortunately, the Muscle of Love sessions wrapped up a bit too late and Lulu had already been contracted for the film.

My personal fave Bond themes are Goldfinger and Live and Let Die.

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by VinceRaven » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:54 pm

Thanks Dennis

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:56 am

quote Unfortunately, the Muscle of Love sessions wrapped up a bit too late and Lulu had already been contracted for the film.
so it has nothing to do with the fact that the ACG reputation at that time was stil "too special" ? Thought I read that somewhere .. But it would have fitted perfectly, imho...
you really wouldn't understand..

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:07 pm

patrick wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:56 am
so it has nothing to do with the fact that the ACG reputation at that time was stil "too special" ? Thought I read that somewhere .. But it would have fitted perfectly, imho...
Which is likely why that story was spread around!

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:27 am

Si wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:07 pm
patrick wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:56 am
Which is likely why that story was spread around!
Well, that could have been true as well but we missed the deadline. Also, the Bond themes were British artists.