ACAS Review Thread

For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:58 pm

Maurice wrote: With respect JJ, (apologies if this is veering off topic), and aside from glams point, didn't Alice just do that with the last two albums (DD and Eyes)?
You know Maurice, I was thinking the exact same thing. Alice's last two albums, The Eyes of AC and Dirty Diamonds had more "universal" songs like the type that JJ wants and yet those albums didn't sell loads anyways. The reason being is that the industry has changed nowadays (downloading of music, difficulty for veteran acts to get radio-play). A "darker" concept album isn't probably going to sell any worse/better than the preceding two "lighter" albums, so what difference does it make if Alice makes an album for his loyal fanbase?

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:04 pm

With respect JJ, (apologies if this is veering off topic), and aside from glams point, didn't Alice just do that with the last two albums (DD and Eyes)?

Sure, and I didn't have the problem with DD that some do. I thought at least half the songs were treasures.
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
A little speed is all I need
Caffeine! Caffeine!

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:17 pm

Jumping Jack wrote:
With respect JJ, (apologies if this is veering off topic), and aside from glams point, didn't Alice just do that with the last two albums (DD and Eyes)?

Sure, and I didn't have the problem with DD that some do. I thought at least half the songs were treasures.
So if you admit that Alice did just release two albums with more "universal" themes, then why did you previously post that Alice is just going after the "teenage goth demographic"? In fact, I think that Maurice was trying to point out that Alice does do more universal stuff like The Eyes and DD in response to your comment that Alice was just going after the "teenage Goth demographic". Also, The Eyes and DD didn't sell truck loads, so why do you think Alice will have a hit album with "universal" themes when he didn't with The Eyes and DD?

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:08 pm

I happen to think the slasher (primarily teen goths) market is more limited than the general rock market, but maybe his current record company will prove me wrong. Just my preferences and opinion, your mileage may vary.
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
Caffeine! Caffeine!

Maurice
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Maurice » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:14 am

Quote glamprincess >In fact, I think that Maurice was trying to point out that Alice does do more universal stuff like The Eyes and DD in response to your comment that Alice was just going after the "teenage Goth demographic".<

Thanks glam, that is just what I was trying to say!

I think I also see what you are saying JJ ; but possibly the difference with the music business today - compared with, say, when I was a teen (in 19-hundred-and-frozen-to-death!) - in general, is that it is now so much more 'compartmentalised' than ever before, making the high numbers that are required, to have a 'real hit', harder to achieve?

This being- I guess - a resultant effect of the Internet and places like Youtube and myspace. (And other factors of course like downloads, Mp3's etc etc etc).

It seems to me, that Alice - as a Classic Rock tagged performer - is in effect 'visiting' these 'compartments', and, as a result, is 'trawling a wider net' than just his 'Classic Rock' tagged compartment.

So, in doing a couple of 'universal appeal' albums like Eyes and DD, then moving on to - as you say - 'teen goth', plus having perhaps had a brief 'flourish' with Nu-metal(?) on BP, he is actively extending his potential appeal to a broader market than ever before, isn't he?

Just a thought! Although, historically, in the realm of 'Popular Music' it seems to me that Alice has never appeared to have kept himself within any limited musical boundaries much before anyway, has he?
When life becomes more real than children's games
Or we've become too old to play them
My God.

alienspice
Killer
Killer

Post by alienspice » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:50 am

I don't have anything of value to contribute. I just have to say that the phrase "teen goth" is cracking me up. :laugh:

actually, I can say that I can't speak for all teen goths, but the ones I know don't listen to alice because he doesn't take himself seriously enough. I doubt this album will change that, even with the added gravitas of piggy d.
you look like you'd fit in the trunk of my car

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:03 pm

Jumping Jack wrote:I happen to think the slasher (primarily teen goths) market is more limited than the general rock market, but maybe his current record company will prove me wrong. Just my preferences and opinion, your mileage may vary.
You know Jumping Jack, I happen to agree with you on some level. I also prefer when Alice does songs with more universal themes and when the music is "classic rock" as opposed to "metal".

I also think that Alice may have started limiting his appeal when he started doing concepts like "AC Goes to Hell" in the mid-70s because I don't think it was a concept that had mass appeal like the concept of "School's Out". So I actually agree with you on that level.

Where I start to disagree with you is about album sales nowadays. With the way the record industry has changed in the present world, I just don't think it will affect album sales nowadays what concept Alice adopts on his current albums. That's all I was trying to say. I was not saying that I prefer the darker concepts because I actually prefer when Alice deals with more universal topics too.

Maurice
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Maurice » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:41 pm

alienspice wrote:I don't have anything of value to contribute. I just have to say that the phrase "teen goth" is cracking me up. :laugh:

actually, I can say that I can't speak for all teen goths, but the ones I know don't listen to alice because he doesn't take himself seriously enough. I doubt this album will change that, even with the added gravitas of piggy d.
Well I think you are quite wrong spice!

Humour is always a valuable contribution to any discussion in my honest opinion. :grin: And I appreciate that possibly 'classic-teen-acid-goth-rock' is probably more the thing that tickles your pickle?

But obviously JJ has views on this 'teen goth' thing; and glam mentioned ageism in this thread too - so I say what about all the 'old goths'?, who is there to stir their semolina? Are they being ignored thru' ageism?

Your point with regard to how seriously Alice may- or may not - be taken by that tranche is appreciated though, (by me at least ;) ).
My God.

Hobo in the Snow
Trash
Trash

Post by Hobo in the Snow » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:07 pm

I think Alice has a pretty good opportunity with the album... a lot of classic rock acts from the early 80's and late 70's are out doing pretty good tours this summer and coming out with some great albums.... e.g Whitesnake , D Leppard, J Priest to name a few. Alot of people are remembering what they listened to in the good ole days and giving it one more go

I hope Cooper can grab a ride on this wave as well- and I think he will do so if ACAS is reminiscent enough of the "classic Alice". From the limited clips I hear, this might be the case

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:41 pm

For what one person's opinion is worth, I finally got the download and listened to the music which to me is far more important that the concept or lyrics. I can't give a song by song break down yet as I have only heard it twice, but I love the overall sound of the CD!!! It does have a late 60s, early 70s feel to a lot of it which for me is a good thing and it rocks. I am not sure any one song is good enough to bump WOMD, DD, LIA out of the live set list, but a streamlined version of the whole thing could work for the theatrical middle segment of the show. It will be interesting to see how the arrangements are done live, and whether some of the repetitive choruses get tightened up. I can help but wonder what Chuck and Keri will do with these. Those boys will be beat by the end of the night!

An ACAS tour with 45 mins of hits, 30-40 mins of ACAS, and 4-5 warhorses to close would be wonderful! The theatrical segment is what needs updating the most anyway, IMHO.

My 2 cents, have at me. I do enjoy others opinions, even the Goths of any age, LOL!
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
Caffeine! Caffeine!

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:32 pm

Maurice wrote:but obviously JJ has views on this 'teen goth' thing; and glam mentioned ageism in this thread too - so I say what about all the 'old goths'?, who is there to stir their semolina? Are they being ignored thru' ageism?
Funny again, Maurice. We don't want to forget the "more elderly" Goths or "youth-challenged" Goths! :laugh:

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:59 pm

Get them while they last. Soon to be offer on the official website:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... n%26sa%3DN
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
Caffeine! Caffeine!

nimsowner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by nimsowner » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:28 am

Jumping Jack wrote:Get them while they last. Soon to be offer on the official website:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... n%26sa%3DN
Shoey wanted to know if they have it in Mermaid green.
PLEASE, save me from this sick man!

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:30 am

If they do..I"ll buy it for him...so long as he promises pix! :laugh: Hey Shoey....how far away is your birthday? ;)
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

alienspice
Killer
Killer

Post by alienspice » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:46 am

Wow. Goth Spider Princess Teen just takes it to a whole other level, doesn't it? ;)
you look like you'd fit in the trunk of my car

vince_raven
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by vince_raven » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:10 am

Choker not included ?!? Well they had me sold until then.
Cooper took the stage,put on the best rock show since Gloria Estefan/Miami Sound Machine in 1987.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:28 am

NotSoPerfect wrote:how far away is your birthday? ;)
Far enough ahead. :evil:

Is it just me or does this mermaid look like Rob Zombie?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3264/260 ... 5a.jpg?v=0
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Maurice
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Maurice » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:27 am

I particularly enjoyed the Goth Cheerleader (or 'Go Goth! Go! Goths'!) - something of a' Cooperesque-Contradiction' !

Thanks for that JJ - now to find a similar site that serves OAP Goths! :grin:
My God.

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:28 am

Here is the second official review: Click. It is pretty positive. Only one minor negative comment.

I think many people misunderstood why I created this thread. It was to post the official reviews as they appear. Oh well, I'm always up for a little discussion.

SKULLBOY
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by SKULLBOY » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:36 am

Shoesalesman wrote:
NotSoPerfect wrote:how far away is your birthday? ;)
Far enough ahead. :evil:

Is it just me or does this mermaid look like Rob Zombie?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3264/260 ... 5a.jpg?v=0
Perhaps it's a mermaid wearing a Rob Zombie costume!
"I was scared to death, afraid to close my eyes
And find that I was gone . . . "