Hollywood Vampires "Live in Rio" 2023 release

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Hollywood Vampires "Live in Rio" 2023 release

Post by Dannorama » Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:21 pm

This thread is for the live CD, vinyl and blu-ray. I am looking forward to this. It sounds like a fantastic concert.
If ordering online, remember to use the links from the SickthingsUK website: AmazonUK and AmazonUS.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

VinceLeeRose
Killer
Killer

Re: Hollywood Vampires "Live in Rio" 2023 release

Post by VinceLeeRose » Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:26 pm

Rio 2015 seems like an odd choice. The setlist is mostly cover songs. I thought for sure they’d be releasing the 2018 Montreaux concert since they put out the live video for Boogieman Surprise when Rise was coming out
https://youtu.be/X9mjH3hM49o

That setlist featured more of their original tunes and has the current lineup with Glen and Chris, which I think is WAY WAY better than Matt Sorum and Duff McKagan. Maybe they liked the performance at Rio better? You’d think it would cost more to license the cover songs too

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:25 pm

VinceLeeRose wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:26 pm
Rio 2015 seems like an odd choice. The setlist is mostly cover songs. I thought for sure they’d be releasing the 2018 Montreaux concert since they put out the live video for Boogieman Surprise when Rise was coming out
https://youtu.be/X9mjH3hM49o
I agree it's an odd one to release, more because it's so old, and the film has been on YouTube ever since the show took place.
If I remember this was one of the first shows the band played (after the Whisky club shows) so they were still very much in the bar cover band mode, which lessened after 'Rise' was released. I would guess at that point it was still just a bit of fun rather than a serious prospect going forward.

VinceLeeRose
Killer
Killer

Post by VinceLeeRose » Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:37 pm

And it appears the I Got a Line On You video released today has the same edits as the one that’s been on YouTube for a few years, so it seems like the exact same video although Ezrin’s mix sounds way better than the original live video. I went back and looked at the Montreaux setlist and it was still cover song heavy (I guess since it was still pre- Rise release). Still would’ve been nice to have Glen and Chris on the release since I think they got so much better as a band with the inclusion of those guys

alicefannor
Killer
Killer

Post by alicefannor » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:01 pm

I assume this is the live release Ezrin mentioned on the podcast he appeared on….

Damn..was hoping for another AC concert film

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:14 pm

Damn..was hoping for another AC concert film
i think we all were !
i got hold of a HD copy of the Hellfest performance from 2022 and it is stunningly good. if it was a full set (with he's back/teenage frankenstein) it would be in contention for best ever live release (fighting with trashes the world and nightmare returns)
i dont know if i want the Hollywood vampires.....not sure if i care enough tbh

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:45 pm

This sounds so much better than the video that's been on Youtube for years. Bob Ezrin has done a great job with both this and Road. Favorite tracks: I'm a Boy, I Got a Line on You, Train Kept A-Rollin' and My Generation.

I'm not really a fan of the Vampires (even though I like everyone involved in the project) so I'm surprised that I like this album as much as I do. I love Brian Johnson but the version of "Whole Lotta Love" he did on the first Vampires album was terrible; the Alice/Lzzy version works much better. "Cold Turkey" is a song that I have never liked and the boys even manage to make that one pretty good. I don't care for "Raise the Dead" but it makes a very nice concert opener here.

I really like the way Alice sings "I'm A Boy" live; it's much better than the studio version. Alice is a fantastic vocalist, but I don't like his choices on some of his studio tracks; Department of Youth, Man of the Year, and I'm a Boy are some examples where I consider the live versions to be definitive. At times he almost has a Joey Ramone type thing going on on this version and I think it really works.

Negatives:

Alice and the rhythm section sound great. The other 2 (3? 4?) guitarists tend to get drowned out. From the few H.V. videos I've watched they seem a little sloppy at times. I would assume that putting them deeper into the mix might be an intentional choice by Ezrin. On the other hand the 2011 shows that I've heard had the same thing going on and I can't imagine that group of guitarists weren't up to snuff.

"Jeepster" - I'm just not crazy about this song.

nurserozetta
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by nurserozetta » Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:00 am

I heard a rumour they filmed one of their last shows for another live release

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:38 pm

Hope it was the Glasgow one…..was absolutely brilliant

nurserozetta
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by nurserozetta » Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:59 am

jacknifejohnny wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:38 pm
Hope it was the Glasgow one…..was absolutely brilliant
I believe it was Boston

alicefannor
Killer
Killer

Post by alicefannor » Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:22 am

haven't picked up Rio yet..probably will at some point. but it could and should have been so much more.

Glasgow / Boston..a non festival set would be so much better

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:37 pm

Maybe kind of a rude question, but is Joe Perry a bad guitarist? I know he's had a wildly successful, decades long career but I've been listening to some of his live stuff and they don't sound very good to me. Maybe it's just all in the eye (ear) of the beholder, or maybe I've just watched too many Tina S videos.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:58 pm

Mr. Misdemeanor wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:37 pm
Maybe kind of a rude question, but is Joe Perry a bad guitarist? I know he's had a wildly successful, decades long career but I've been listening to some of his live stuff and they don't sound very good to me. Maybe it's just all in the eye (ear) of the beholder, or maybe I've just watched too many Tina S videos.
Next question, is Keith Richards a bad guitarist?
However, to be said both have been sloppy - at times.
The answer is No!
Both have contributed greatly to Rock! :8):
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...