Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Re: “Road,” August 25, 2023

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:16 pm

Rock10 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:08 am
I just bought "Detroit Stories." It's one of his worst albums.

You could have easily listened first before buying.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:23 pm

The end is inevitable but Alice seems to want to go on forever. No indication of him hanging up the top hat. There is too much going on. Road, OG album and the lucrative Hollywood Vampires. If he does I'm sure there will be a never ending Kiss like tour.

Pitta
Killer
Killer

Post by Pitta » Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:54 pm

I read in the german Classic rock magazine that he's working on a new album with Desmond Child actually. It would make me more happy than a nostalgic album with the OGs and Bob Ezrin.
Where's my make-up, where's my face ?

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:56 pm

Hey I preordered the "boxset" for Road on the first day it was available on Amazon...it told me initially it was going to come out on August 28th now I got an email today that said its release date has been removed and they will let me know when/if they get a date????

what gives????
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

Agrophile in Texas
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Agrophile in Texas » Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:09 am

Hmm, that's strange.

I didn't receive an email, but I noticed the other day the single digisleeve first day order I made... the cover art is gone and the page says it's not available. And now they have a separate page for that product (with the Aug 25th release date).

Am I still getting my CD, do I have to re-order? Guess I'll have to contact customer service, though 'Zons CS is awful, I get nothing but headaches and the runaround from them. (I tried to reorder with the new CD page (with the idea of cancelling the original), but it won't group my order like it did previous, for free shipping).

Rock10
Killer
Killer

Post by Rock10 » Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:35 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:16 pm
Rock10 wrote:

I want to own all of his albums.

Agrophile in Texas
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Agrophile in Texas » Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:47 am

Daggers & Contracts wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:18 pm
Agrophile in Texas wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:25 pm
No, I don't expect the second coming of B$B, but if it grades out at the same range as Muscle of Love, I'll be more than happy (and I think they're capable of achieving that).
Admitted that's not too high a bar to set, we will expect (anticipate?) no less. :alice:
:rock: :teach: :headcutoff:
Yeah, I guess I should have put qualifiers on that. I like MoL, gave it a 4 out of 5 (B$B is a 5 out of 5) so a high bar, but not the highest for me.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:33 pm

I really Don't understand the antipathy towards Detroit stories.
For some context, I first got into Alice with greatest hits followed by BDB and then the blackout albums. To me DS has some great rockers like social debris as well as some left field tracks which all the great Alice albums have. Some good blues based rock mixed the Alice humour. To me this is what Alice cooper is about.
I go back to DS more than Paranormal, which I also liked. I am not enamoured by what I have heard from road so far but I am still going to give it a good listen and hope it grows.
I am probably building up my hopes too much for the OGs but that's where my main focus is. Until then I am hoping for the best with road.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:09 pm

I haven't been impressed with most of the OG songs on the recent albums. There have a few I really liked but songs like "Genuine American Girl" and "You and All Your Friends" on Paranormal were two of the weakest songs on Paranormal in my opinion. I just think you can't go home again. The Sound of A I liked by that was written by Alice and Dennis Dunaway many many years ago.

I don't get the dislike for Detroit Stories either. I think it has to be taken within the context of why it was created. It was an album that was a tribute to Detroit. It was a safe just straight up hard rock album. It didn't really feel like a true Alice album but it is a generally good rock n roll album. I think the issue with it is more most fans are tired of all the covers and consider that more Hollywood Vampires territory. I also think that the fact Breadcrumbs was released and that would have been fine but then you got a full-length album of basically the same. Plus the problem was though it used primarily Detroit players, it really could have been anyone playing. I think that is the issue some are having with the first two singles and the 30 second snippets. I love the current band, they are my favorite band of Alice's career but based on the little I have heard so far, it could be anyone playing instead of the now well-established personality and tremendous abilities of the current band. I think most of us were wanting letting the band rip. No need for a theme or anything, just bring out songs with no limitations. You want to bring in a Ballad, do it. You want to bring in a thrash song, do it.

I do think though and there is no question Ezrin is a legendary producer but you have to get out of the safe, generic range. What you get is good, decent albums but disposable albums instead of something you will keep going back to. I actually liked Welcome 2 My Nightmare. To me it felt more like a Goes To Hell sequel than the original WTMN but there is some diversity and some creative songs on there and the production isn't quite as generic on that one. And with the original band album coming out within the next few years, it is a fairly safe bet there are going to be any "I Love the Dead" or "The Ballad of Dwight Frye" type of songs. I think all of us whether the current band, original band, or none of the above really want another album where Alice is truly letting it loose and rocking out.

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:12 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:16 pm
Rock10 wrote:

I have every Alice studio and live album that has an official release on vinyl. Road could be his worst work but I reckon I would buy it to sooth my OCD :rotfl:

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:18 pm

I have heard a few complaints that Alice speaks through this album.

But he has done that since forever, maybe with a little added flair, but his voice has aged. Hes never sung like Axl or Freddie. Alice is Alice because he can switch between a snarl, a romantic deep voice and a soft voice. You can get 3 Alices in one song.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:14 am

rgallie wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:18 pm
I have heard a few complaints that Alice speaks through this album.

But he has done that since forever, maybe with a little added flair, but his voice has aged. Hes never sung like Axl or Freddie. Alice is Alice because he can switch between a snarl, a romantic deep voice and a soft voice. You can get 3 Alices in one song.
You definitely can and that is why I have always thought Alice was a very underrated singer. I do think one of the issues with some fans though is when there is more spoken word vocals than actual singing. I was listening to some of the Hey Stoopid album and there was some great singing on that album. I will also say, and I don't know if all of you have heard it yet, but I really like had Alice sang on Nita Strauss's great new album. He does the vocals on "Winner Takes All." That is a great heavy album, love it.

Spiner202
Killer
Killer

Post by Spiner202 » Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:29 am

cooperrocks wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:09 pm
You want to bring in a thrash song, do it.
You have my attention :clap:

Thrash is my favourite style of music and Alice is my favourite singer so combining the two sounds like a good idea in my head

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:14 am

good points here !
I loved the HV first cd because of the fact that it are merely classic rock songs, sung by my favourite singer...
DS,not being a classic AC album, same story : good rock album , favourite singer..

And indeed, Winner takes all sounds very good imo, would make a great... cover :alice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He0nMwmP3Yc
you really wouldn't understand..

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:02 pm

Spiner202 wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:29 am
Thrash is my favourite style of music and Alice is my favourite singer so combining the two sounds like a good idea in my head
I got into thrash (metal) in 1985 and Alice is one of my favourite singers, if not my favourite. So that combination could be interesting.

Ted

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:22 am

steven15322 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:31 pm
Si wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:59 pm
Well spotted!
Touch of "Eyes..." maybe?
I'm still optimistic (which I wasn't about DS...)
Clips do sound more like Eyes . That's not a bad thing in my opinion as I like that album.
I feel the same about DS. What a dreadful album.

I'm thinking Road Rats here is an instrumental.
The lyrics are on the discography page so it's just a re do. I was surprised to see the lyrics are up for all the songs.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:25 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:22 am
The lyrics are on the discography page so it's just a re do. I was surprised to see the lyrics are up for all the songs.
Actually the lyrics page but yes, I was also surprised. They all appeared a couple of weeks ago via a simple google search so I added them all.
I'll edit/correct them as the songs are released.

Railwayman
Killer
Killer

Post by Railwayman » Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:13 pm

When Looking on the Amazon UK site there doesn't seem to be a CD+Blue ray option only a CD+DVD option. It says 'see all 9 options' but only offers a couple ..... any ideas?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:18 pm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... hingsuk-21

This should be the one. Scroll down and you'll see in the product description it says "CD+ Blu-ray Digipak "

Railwayman
Killer
Killer

Post by Railwayman » Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:13 pm

Thanks Si. Ordered.