Detroit Stories Review

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Detroit Stories Review

Post by concolz » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:38 pm

The latest edition of Uncut magazine has a short review of the album (plus a six page article on the band's early days in Detroit). Although the reviewer highlights a couple of tracks - Social Debris & Independence Dave - overall he's not too impressed. Calling it "more Nugent than Stooges", he states: "Too often, though, it sounds slick and perfunctory, as though Coop's just a tourist in his own town". 6/10

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: Detroit Stories Review

Post by VinceRaven » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:35 pm

Cheers. Is the six page article any good?

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:14 pm

VinceRaven wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:35 pm
Is the six page article any good?
Not really. It's basically about how the band fitted into the '69/'70 Detroit 'scene'; with particular reference to MC5 & The Stooges.The new album gets a couple of paragraphs. Apparently they'd considered asking Iggy to feature on it, but then ruled that out as too much of a distraction.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:25 pm

concolz wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:14 pm
"Apparently they'd considered asking Iggy to feature on it, but then ruled that out as too much of a distraction."
Hmm... yeah, that sounds right... wouldn't want a big guest star on an Alice Cooper album....
(see Billy Gibbons, Rob Zombie, Ozzy, Slash, Satriani, Vai, Halford, Chris Cornel, Aerosmith/Motley/Bon Jovi etc etc... Even this one pulls in a ton of famous names)

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:15 pm

reviews are what they are ..
only yesterday I read a review in an old 1974 magazine about WTMN : the reviewer said that finally Alice was back on
track after the weaker previous lp's being.... Billion Dollar Babies and Elected ..( hm.... )
you really wouldn't understand..

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:57 pm

Not really related to subject title, but I remember some years ago when an Australian fan posted a review to a show which had just been published in his area's main newspaper... a review of a show that hadn't happened, and was actually due to take place the following day...

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:24 pm

Not a review but a "New" interview.
https://ew.com/music/detroit-stories-al ... interview/
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:04 am

I'm normally so pumped for a alice release. Man, i just am not feeling this one, im more excited for the blu ray (which i have been robbed of £60 to obtain)
I really hope i'm wrong but the omens are not good at the minute.

Miller
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Miller » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:59 am

Saint&Sinner wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:04 am
I'm normally so pumped for a alice release. Man, i just am not feeling this one, im more excited for the blu ray (which i have been robbed of £60 to obtain)
I really hope i'm wrong but the omens are not good at the minute.
100% agree with you on this, with 4 of the songs that were already on the Breadcrumbs EP, the vanilla sounding Rock and Roll and the forgettable Our Love Will Change The World which sounds pretty much like the original. Sure he's done covers before on different albums and The Hollywood Vampires and I didn't mind them except the bland sounding Johnny Depp on Heroes. I will wait and see with Detroit Stories but my expectations of it are not high.

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:15 pm

Si wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:57 pm
Not really related to subject title, but I remember some years ago when an Australian fan posted a review to a show which had just been published in his area's main newspaper... a review of a show that hadn't happened, and was actually due to take place the following day...
Not Alice related but this reminds me of an article in Hit Parader Magazine back in 2001. It was a review of the Ozzy Osbourne/Rob Zombie Merry Mayhem show that at the time of the article would have been well underway. The review went on to describe Rob Zombie's awesome stage show, Ozzy playing all the hits and stuff like that. The problem is Ozzy injured his ankle about two weeks before the tour was to start and when the article came out the tour hadn't actually started yet :rotfl:
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:28 am

Not Alice related but this reminds me of an article in Hit Parader Magazine back in 2001.
yeah i am sure we have found some crackers like this, i remember a Blaze Bayley review from classic rock magazine that described all his iron maiden songs he played ........which of course , he didn't! hahaha makes you wonder how many times they have done this......i suspect more than we realise.

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:20 pm

I was just reading an article about it and they mentioned Alice and Sheryl both had covid this year. Never heard about it, but fortunately they’re okay. Alice had a quote about it, too.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:35 pm

Mr.Bluelegs wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:20 pm
I was just reading an article about it and they mentioned Alice and Sheryl both had covid this year. Never heard about it, but fortunately they’re okay. Alice had a quote about it, too.
Maybe that's when the Cooper Clan started learning to Tap Dance for lung recovery. :HEART:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:24 pm

Mr.Bluelegs wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:20 pm
From what I/we can work out, if correct, it was pretty late last year. As you can see from the front page, news directly about Alice appearing on interviews etc pretty much dried up from around October onwards. Before this he was doing one or two at least almost every week. He was announced to appear in Joe Walsh's 'VetsAid' in mid-December but I've found nothing to confirm he actually appeared.
This *could* explain why.
The new interviews that have started appear were presumably done either late December or very early this month (for them to be ready for the current issues, due to the lead time print magazines need).

I'm a little surprised that there hasn't been more attention about this. Not while they were actually sick, but now they've apparently recovered it would surely have been news-worthy.

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:49 pm

i've never even heard a rumour of that, and a quick google brings up nothing, where was this mentioned? ditto Si, i'm sure he would have put some sort of message out about a recover. knowing him it would have been along the lines of if his Hollywood Vampire days didn't finish him off, Covid certainly won't!
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:44 pm

killer wolf wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:49 pm
i've never even heard a rumour of that, and a quick google brings up nothing, where was this mentioned?
https://ew.com/music/detroit-stories-al ... interview/

Pitta
Killer
Killer

Post by Pitta » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:59 pm

Where's my make-up, where's my face ?

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:17 am

A few more reviews. The first one - printed in The Independent - calls the album 'a masterpiece'. Blimey! The others are rather more restrained.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/revi ... 05785.html

https://riffmagazine.com/album-reviews/ ... t-stories/

https://www.loudersound.com/reviews/ali ... bum-review

https://www.ghostcultmag.com/album-revi ... -earmusic/

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:13 pm

Sister Sledge. Sigh.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:52 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:13 pm
Sister Sledge. Sigh.
Yes, I noted that. Aren't they from Philadelphia? I liked their '70s singles, but what have they got to do with Detroit? Couldn't they at least have got somebody associated with Motown. Anyway the song stinks, and that's only the snippet!