Killer
Killer

Re: Detroit Stories first song "Rock 'N' Roll" to be available Fri 11-13-20

Post by Pitta » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:23 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:14 pm
Pitta wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:36 pm
It would be cool to have a deluxe edition. All of the new songs, without the covers ☠️
I think the only way to listen to it will be to burn a copy minus the Breadcrumbs songs.

I wonder will there be a deluxe Japanese edition adding the two missing Breadcrumbs song's?
I don't think that ear music makes Japanese editions.

I would burn a CD without all of the covers. IMO are his covers not really good. He tries almost every time to recapture the old feeling of the original song, instead of making a real Alice Cooper style version.
Pretty ballerina was good, I liked it, and the '89 version of I got a line on you, and Hello Hooray was good too. The rest was not my taste.
Where's my make-up, where's my face ?

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by andyrew » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:40 am

Should have been a double album. Breadcrumbs + new covers on disc 1/tracks 1-10 from artists/songs who inspire his Detroit roots.

9 songs + Hanging on by a Thread on disc 2/tracks 11–20 of Detroit themed originals .

That would satisfy three groups - those who are interested in covers, those who only want to hear originals and those who don’t mind listening to both in one go. I know Alice was considering a double album a while back, but sadly it didn’t materialize.

I’m going to try to enjoy the album as a whole first and see how it is. I do want to see if it will all flow together better than I think it will. Otherwise, splitting the songs up between Breadcrumbs + Covers and only the originals is the next best bet IMO. I haven’t previously heard most of the unreleased covers that weren’t on Breadcrumbs, so I might include them with the originals if I go that route. Makes sense to my overall listening experience if I’ve never heard them before anyways. Plus, the album will be a bit longer.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:41 am

pitkin88 wrote:
I think the only way to listen to it will be to burn a copy minus the Breadcrumbs songs.
It's 2020, you still burn CDs?
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:45 am

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:41 am
pitkin88 wrote:
It's 2020, you still burn CDs?
And oddly enough Alice still sells them.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:30 am

I’m struggling with the single. I knew the original and do think this is a really good version.I think the production and vocals are great but the problem is that there is not enough to hold my interest as I was never a fan of the song in the first place. I’ve played it a few times now to see if it grows and it isn’t. It also feels a bit nostalgic to me and that was my worry for the album, I’m just not into that.

Strange feeling overall is that this has actually increased anticipation for the album. I’m getting over my previous feelings about Don’t Give Up now so If the originals are as interesting and benefit from the same production and vocals we could have a clutch of great tracks coming.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:54 am

Pitta wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:23 am
Umm... what about the 'Rise' triple CD that added a full live concert? That's earMusic. Also the first HV album had a bonus track.

Pitta
Killer
Killer

Post by Pitta » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:15 pm

Si wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:54 am
Pitta wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:23 am
Umm... what about the 'Rise' triple CD that added a full live concert? That's earMusic. Also the first HV album had a bonus track.
You are right. Maybe they make it. I would prefer it. 1 CD original Songs, 1 CD covers, and some bonus tracks.

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:38 pm

I love what Ezrin did with and for Alice back in the day, but Alice needs to work with a different producer. I understand "Alice is doing what he wants" and "we are lucky Alice is still making music" etc... But as a fan knowing he's not gonna be around forever isn't it OK for us to want the best from him ? I've been saying this forever, Rick Rubin would be my choice because I think he could get the best out of Alice, challenge him to be more creative.

He's far to comfortable with Ezrin and everything has been so much about the old Detroit sound and covering other bands. I mean really, how long has this been going on ? This is basically another version of Hollywood Vampires in a more Detroit themed way than an original Alice album. Alice has one of the best, tightest bands in the industry today, yet he keeps relying on other random musicians instead of using the band he has. Why ?? I can't help but think of how good an all original album produced by Rick Rubin featuring his current band could be. Stop trying so hard to capture the old Detroit sound and get the creative juices flowing again to put out something fresh and exciting.
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

Pitta
Killer
Killer

Post by Pitta » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:19 pm

HORRORHOLIC wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:38 pm
I love what Ezrin did with and for Alice back in the day, but Alice needs to work with a different producer. I understand "Alice is doing what he wants" and "we are lucky Alice is still making music" etc... But as a fan knowing he's not gonna be around forever isn't it OK for us to want the best from him ? I've been saying this forever, Rick Rubin would be my choice because I think he could get the best out of Alice, challenge him to be more creative.

He's far to comfortable with Ezrin and everything has been so much about the old Detroit sound and covering other bands. I mean really, how long has this been going on ? This is basically another version of Hollywood Vampires in a more Detroit themed way than an original Alice album. Alice has one of the best, tightest bands in the industry today, yet he keeps relying on other random musicians instead of using the band he has. Why ?? I can't help but think of how good an all original album produced by Rick Rubin featuring his current band could be. Stop trying so hard to capture the old Detroit sound and get the creative juices flowing again to put out something fresh and exciting.
Yes. :clap: every single word is true.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:09 am

HORRORHOLIC wrote:

Spot on. :rock: :rock:

Type-O
Trash
Trash

Post by Type-O » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:13 am

The vocals were really impressive, at least for a man 72 years old. But the song is just bland and pointless. No power, no groove no nothing. Sounds like everyone involved just wanted to be anywhere but in the studio. A bit like "Let's get this over with so we can go back to playing cards".

Railwayman
Killer
Killer

Post by Railwayman » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:23 pm

Type-O wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:13 am
The vocals were really impressive, at least for a man 72 years old. But the song is just bland and pointless. No power, no groove no nothing. Sounds like everyone involved just wanted to be anywhere but in the studio. A bit like "Let's get this over with so we can go back to playing cards".
Agree. Listened to it three times now and find it a 'going through the motions' type of affair, dull and pointless. Hopefully the cd has some more interesting new cuts.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:05 pm

I listened to the original Velvet version (1969?) And then to Lou's version on Rock'nRoll animal...and personally I think Alice did a good job especially with his characteristic voice...still strong at his age!!
you really wouldn't understand..

James Livewire
Trash
Trash

Post by James Livewire » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:42 am

Pitta wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:19 pm
HORRORHOLIC wrote:

Yes. :clap: every single word is true.
Absolutley..

James Livewire
Trash
Trash

Post by James Livewire » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:43 am

Type-O wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:13 am
This is exactly how i feel.. i said to my best mate that it feels like they realised it was 5:05 andf they just wanted to go hom and couldnt be bothered. - and i include the sound production in that too..

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:08 pm

I don't feel Alice or the band are going through the motions. They probably had fun recording it. The song can at least breathe and it is not filled up to the max with instruments. That said, this version adds nothing to the original. It is a perfunctory cover. No one here is really stretching themselves. I'm pretty sure that most people here are tired of the covers and were tired of the live covers. Alice eventually stopped that but doesn't want to give up the ghost in the studio. Maybe he is going through a writing slump who knows.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:22 am

Fifth listen this morning and don’t think I’ll be back. Played Don’t Give Up as well to compare and contrast. A massive difference in conviction and connection for me.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:23 pm

Well, I really liked it on first listen; and still do. As I didn't buy the EP, it's not a problem that the Breadcrumbs songs are on the album; they've grown on me. So far, Ezrin has kept it pretty tight; more garage, rather than hard rock/metal. I hope it doesn't fall apart, mid-way, re 'comedy' tracks or cornball 'hoofers', as happened on W2MN & Paranormal.

I read a short Alice interview recently, where he stated that there were two original band tracks. One of these is I Hate You. Apparently the album also features Motown horns & Motown female singers. He didn't elaborate further. I wonder if the touring band will put in an appearance somewhere.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:34 am

Here it is. Hopefully it will bring a smile to Bob and Janice's face.

http://abcnewsradioonline.com/music-new ... reat%20fun.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:39 am

Though he is pretty low In the mix
In all honesty I prefer Alice guesting on this Ezrin produced kids song :
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ey-HGGiih4Brilliant

Very catchy.