Johnny Depp verdict

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Gilles27
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Johnny Depp verdict

Post by Gilles27 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:48 am

Does this spell the end for the Hollywood Vampires? I understand that there are differing opinions about Johnny Depp, and I am not trying to stir or start a controversial discussion, but it is a fact that he has been found to be a wife beater in a court of law. Can Alice Cooper really share a stage with him again?
Time is getting closer

ElectedPlus
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: Johnny Depp verdict

Post by ElectedPlus » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:43 pm

I was wondering this too.
I suppose there is some advantage of them not on tour for some time, perhaps that time will tell how his reputation & relationships with public will go. I can't imagine Alice turning a cold shoulder to him.

Gilles27
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Gilles27 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:59 pm

it does make things a bit awkward for Alice. Should the guy who co-wrote Only Women Bleed really be seen to support a verified wife-beater?
My guess is that it won't really matter as Depp will probably disappear into obscurity now anyway and I don't think he'd want to go on-stage in the near future - even in non-Covid times.
Time is getting closer

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:25 pm

Gilles27 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:48 am
but it is a fact that he has been found to be a wife beater in a court of law.
I'm not sure this is correct. Show me the verdict that convicted Depp of Domestic abuse. I thought they had all either been thrown out or settled before any verdict came.

This case was NOT directly about whether he did or didn't, it was about whether a newspaper had the right/evidence to call him a "wife beater", DESPITE the fact he hasn't actually been convicted of it anywhere. Wasn't the the whole basis of Depp's libel suit? I was surprised at the verdict going to The Sun, a paper well known for fabricating stories with little to no evidence.

See https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/mov ... r-1030680/

Depp still has another libel suit going the in US after (allegedly) Heard broke the confidentiality agreement they both signed to end the case and move on with their lives.

As part of getting all the AC related news alerts I also get all the Depp court case ones, as they almost always mention the Hollywood Vampires/Alice and so I get them as well. So almost against my will I've read quite a bit about the ongoing Depp/Heard situation.
*Personally* with the overwelming evidence there seems to be against Heard (audio/eye witnesses/police reports/character statements and her history of abuse with her previous partner etc) I'm amazed this case went against Depp.

But to the question as to whether this will effect Alice/HV. I doubt it. I think Alice completely believes Depp's side and will stand by his friend. I'd be surprised if he doesn't. Whether the record companies and promoters see it the same way we'll have to see. Most of them surely are simply in it for the money, and so will carry on as if this never happened. Depp sells tickets, and his army of fans are likely going nowhere.

Gilles27
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Gilles27 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:41 pm

Si wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:25 pm
Gilles27 wrote:
I'm not sure this is correct. Show me the verdict that convicted Depp of Domestic abuse.
You are correct that he hasn't been convicted of anything, however a judge has ruled that the Sun's 2018 report labelling him a "wife beater" was "substantially true". Therefore anyone else calling Depp a wife beater can be pretty sure that it is legal to do so.

I was also surprised at the verdict as I am definitely no fan of the Sun.

Alice is in a pretty poor position. I don't think he'll willingly talk about the subject at all as I am sure he feels some loyalty towards Depp. However, I also doubt Alice will publicly support Depp in future and I really don't think they'll appear on stage together again.
Time is getting closer

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:50 pm

Gilles27 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:41 pm
Si wrote:
Gilles27 wrote:
I'm not sure this is correct. Show me the verdict that convicted Depp of Domestic abuse.
You are correct that he hasn't been convicted of anything, however a judge has ruled that the Sun's 2018 report labelling him a "wife beater" was "substantially true". Therefore anyone else calling Depp a wife beater can be pretty sure that it is legal to do so.

Just last year they ran a story along the lines of "is this Depp's new girlfriend" and created a whole story about it based on a photograph in a bar after a HV show.
I know people who were there. The girl was a fan, who just happened to be in the bar, and who had waited patiently until Depp noticed her, signed something for her and gave her a hug, and then she left the bar... That was it. No story at all, and yet the Sun had half a page or more on it.
There are many stories about Alice that the Sun has published/posted that have been completely inaccurate as well.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:01 pm

Gilles27 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:41 pm
Si wrote:
Gilles27 wrote:

Also note that it isn`t over yet. Depp will rightly be appealing against the verdict.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:42 pm

From what I've seen & read Depp & Heard were both abusers.
However, in this day & time the courts are weighted in the account of the woman.
No man should hit a woman - ever! Walk away, distance yourselves, please.
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:37 pm

Daggers & Contracts wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:42 pm
However, in this day & time the courts are weighted in the account of the woman.
What if they cut the tip of your thumb off?

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:47 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:37 pm
What if they cut the tip of your thumb off?
That has been what has been reported... But, still Love or not... walk away - make the emergency call & distance yourselves.
Also,try to stop the bleeding...
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:53 am

" I'll cut your thumb off little man ".

Gilles27
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Gilles27 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:15 am

The case wasn't Heard vs Depp, it was The Sun vs Depp. He didn't like The Sun calling him a wife beater. He lost, so it is ok to call him a wife beater. There may be those who think she is also a spouse-abuser, but that is not what was being decided in court. She neither won or lost, and she didn't take him to court.

From what I have read an appeal is very unlikely to be succesful. He didn't need to go to court. He had lots to lose and very little to win. There have been stories about his out of control lifestyle pretty much since he split with Vanessa Paradis, but as there was nothing proved he was managing to cling to his career. He seems to have flushed it away now. Alice is a god-loving family man and I can't imagine him being willing to stay associated with Depp now - and I'm sure the movie studios will all feel the same.
Time is getting closer

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:46 am

I agree with Si. This will blow over and won't harm Depp at all. 100% sure Alice et al band will stand by him.

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:17 am

verdict is a ****take as far as i'm concerned, if you've listened to any of the tapes that are on youtube.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:40 am

Alice has been supporting Depp in public already. Don't think this "verdict" will change his mind.
HV will just go on as before imo
you really wouldn't understand..

forglasgowonly
Trash
Trash

Post by forglasgowonly » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:24 pm

I have been thinking about this too. My instinct is that Alice will stand by Depp. For what its worth, I hope he does. Agree that he is in a tricky position with it though, when interviewers question him. I think they had a mutually self destructive relationship, but I don't believe he hit her. All his ex's stood up in court to defend his character which is incredible, when you think about it.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:11 pm

Tend to agree that HV can continue but this had already hit the film career and the verdict has hurt more. Dropping out of the Fantastic Beasts will hurt and his pipeline of future films isn’t what it used to be.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:29 pm

forglasgowonly wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:24 pm
All his ex's stood up in court to defend his character which is incredible, when you think about it.
Actually I don't think they did appear in this specific case (could be wrong).
They DID offer to appear and they wrote personal statements, but in the end Depp's people didn't think they needed to call them to win, so they (the ex's) published their written statements themselves to show support for him.

I think that is very telling, both that Depp's team were SO sure they would win, and that the women still wanted to publicly help and support him when they could have quietly stayed out of it.
Add that to Heard's ex-partner who supposedly took out a restraining order against her for.... domestic abuse!

nurserozetta
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by nurserozetta » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:05 am

If Alice , Alice’s family , Alice’s bandmates , Alice’s support crew (esp the girls) support Johnny , then that’s more than good enough for me .

I also note Ross Halfin came out strongly in support of JD and was swamped with positive responses

suziginajackson
Killer
Killer

Post by suziginajackson » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:05 am

Sadly 'Mud sticks'

He's already been removed from the next 'Fantastic Beasts' film

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54846285
People try to put us down
Just because we get around