New song and video "Don't give up" coming!

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Re: New song and video "Don't give up" coming!

Post by padre_sliprat » Tue May 19, 2020 4:36 pm

Like Paranormal and Breadcrumbs, three years from now this song will be relegated to the forgotten bin. I listened once and that was it for me.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Tue May 19, 2020 8:25 pm

wind_up_toy wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:28 am
Back to the song, I assume Alice is currently camped up in Phoenix so it was interesting he implied that he was in Detroit at the end.
In the SiriusXM interview, he mentioned that the song was a finished song, "Hanging By A Thread," that he and Bob reworked into "Don't Give Up" and released now. I inferred that the singing vocals were actually done in Detroit months ago, but the spoken parts were recorded in Phoenix, because this is where he has been since arriving home from Europe.

Hunter

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Tue May 19, 2020 10:56 pm

padre_sliprat wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:36 pm
Like Paranormal and Breadcrumbs, three years from now this song will be relegated to the forgotten bin. I listened once and that was it for me.
I feel exactly the same.The spoken bits are okay, but the rest sounds like a third-rate Brutal Planet cast off. This was a golden opportunity for Alice to release something 'different'; but he opted for his usual musical comfort blanket.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Wed May 20, 2020 12:34 am

i think its a great little song, i would like to hear the "other version" tho (maybe the ordinary version will be on the new album?) It has got a brutal planet vibe for sure (and not just because of the pick up the bones style riff) which for me is always a good thing.
It made me laugh initially tho when he says "this is alice cooper in detroit". No he bloomin inst ! he is hunkered in his house in pheonix playing on his local golf course. hahahaha but its interesting that this was based on a song for the new album, as this doesn't scream "detroit sound" - do we have any dates for the new on yet? even if its a autumn release or whatever

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Wed May 20, 2020 6:30 am

After being unwell and in hospital twice recently with some symptoms initially thought to be potentially Covid related this song resonates with me.

I've spoken to dozens of healthcare staff while in hospital and had to listen to really sick and rapidly deteriorating Covid patients through the wall in the next ward while I was waiting on my own Covid test results. Never heard stories or coughing like it, frightening. Huge relief when I finally got a diagnosis and it wasn't the virus.

"Hanging on by a thread" were the precise words used to describe a friend's brother's situation with the virus a few weeks ago when he already been on life support for four weeks. He is through the worst now and firmly on the road to recovery. However, at the same time as the improvement was happening, having been improving himself in the same hospital, his best friend suddenly deteiorated and died. Took the nurses and his family ages to convince my friend's brother not to give up and to keep fighting.

As I say, the song resonates.

As to style. I was hoping the next album wouldn't sound or feel like Breadcrumbs or be a retro Detroit nostalgia trip so if this is the direction it's fine with me.

One problem for me though - at the moment, while I'm enjoying playing it a lot I can imagine not wanting to listen in a year or so as it will be reflecting a time I probably won't care to remember - will need to see what the passing of time does for me.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Wed May 20, 2020 9:53 am

hope you'll be getting well soon , Del. The sharp memories of this song will eventually fade away, I'm sure.
I do like the song for what it is now, a message from Alice who felt the urge to speak out on this situation. Don't believe he meant to make big money on this or aimed at a new 18 or SO hit .
as for the style: if this is Alice's musical comfort blanket (well put, Concolz ! ), well it happens to be mine as well. I don't want to find Alice rapping or changing too much his style , which on itself has already a rather broad range.
and surely pleased to see that , at this time of his carreer, he's still capable of making records like Paranormal or Breadcrumbs !
you really wouldn't understand..

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Wed May 20, 2020 2:01 pm

SickThings wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:25 pm
wind_up_toy wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:28 am
Back to the song, I assume Alice is currently camped up in Phoenix so it was interesting he implied that he was in Detroit at the end.
In the SiriusXM interview, he mentioned that the song was a finished song, "Hanging By A Thread," that he and Bob reworked into "Don't Give Up" and released now. I inferred that the singing vocals were actually done in Detroit months ago, but the spoken parts were recorded in Phoenix, because this is where he has been since arriving home from Europe.

Hunter
Thanks for clarifying Hunter, that makes sense.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu May 21, 2020 3:22 am

I like that it's only 3 minutes long and that it is pretty restrained. Nice hook too!

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Thu May 21, 2020 1:10 pm

Del I hope you are fully recovered and you and yours are safe and well.
This song is meant for just NOW. that is the point of releasing it this way. If you don't think you will be listening to it 18 months from just now then that is fine. I have breadcrumbs high on my list of record rotation. I think it is a cracking EP. Paranormal I still dig out and give a regular airing. To me the Alice sound is that classic garage rock and I really hope that the new album is in a similar vain.

Spiner202
Killer
Killer

Post by Spiner202 » Thu May 21, 2020 3:19 pm

I know this has been discussed a little bit already, but do we have a sense on the strategy for releasing the new album? Do we think it's ready to go and they're going to wait for things to get closer to normal? Or is it going to be released as soon as it's ready?

This song has me very hyped up for the new record and I hope it's indicative of the direction Alice takes!

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Thu May 21, 2020 6:38 pm

I am assuming that it is going to be pushed back awhile mostly due to pressing plant shutdowns. The “Don’t Give Up” 7” has a release date of August 14th, so it is safe to say that the pressing plants are likely running quite a bit behind now due to shutting down. If any didn’t, they likely got backed up pretty good also.

As with the new Deep Purple album, it could get pushed back for business reasons if another shutdown were to coincide with the initial release date.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Thu May 21, 2020 6:45 pm

As for Don’t Give Up, did Alice say the track Hangin’ By A Thread was specifically made for this album or is it possible that it was a finished song that might have been laying around from one of the previous albums? My curiosity comes from the use of the touring band. If it is new, it means they may actually have some recording contributions on the new album, or it could have been a track that was re-recorded with the band, or the band didn’t play on it at all and were just used for the video.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Thu May 21, 2020 7:01 pm

padre_sliprat wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:36 pm
You listened once to Paranormal? Well done, I got it around 18 months ago and still not heard it, didn't like the snippets of the songs when it came out, so very doubtful I will even stick it in the CD player.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Fri May 22, 2020 12:08 am

You listened once to Paranormal? Well done, I got it around 18 months ago and still not heard it, didn't like the snippets of the songs when it came out, so very doubtful I will even stick it in the CD player.
You brought the album 18 months ago and haven't played it once? That seems bizzare. I can understand not liking it (although its a cracking little album except holy water) but to not even listen to it, it makes no sense to me.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:12 am

guttertrash wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:45 pm
As for Don’t Give Up, did Alice say the track Hangin’ By A Thread was specifically made for this album or is it possible that it was a finished song that might have been laying around from one of the previous albums? My curiosity comes from the use of the touring band. If it is new, it means they may actually have some recording contributions on the new album, or it could have been a track that was re-recorded with the band, or the band didn’t play on it at all and were just used for the video.
I was wondering the same thing.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Fri May 22, 2020 5:12 am

dadascot wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:10 pm
Del I hope you are fully recovered and you and yours are safe and well.
This song is meant for just NOW. that is the point of releasing it this way. If you don't think you will be listening to it 18 months from just now then that is fine. I have breadcrumbs high on my list of record rotation. I think it is a cracking EP. Paranormal I still dig out and give a regular airing. To me the Alice sound is that classic garage rock and I really hope that the new album is in a similar vain.
All good now thanks. With Breadcrumbs it's partly the nostalgia trip that doesn't do it for me. That and the fact it's mainly covers of songs I was never that fond of anyway. I much prefer listening to new material nowadays and want to see acts pushing on rather than wrapping back to the good old days. Breadcrumbs just didn't give me the feeling of discovering something new which Paranormal certainly did for me. Bit like the covers section in the set list a while back. It was what it was but I wanted back to Alice's own music.

I also like the garage sound but if it's used it needs to be carrying something new. One of the most positive things for me is that from Brutal Planet onwards I now have a fairly long list of songs I return to. Unfortunately Breadcrumbs hasn't added to it.

I genuinely like Don't Give Up's attitude and sound and hope the negativity I have for the circumstances subsides. If it does I'm sure the track would be added to my list. If not then it's raised my hopes for getting something on the list from the new album.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Fri May 22, 2020 7:02 pm

Saint&Sinner wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:08 am
You brought the album 18 months ago and haven't played it once? That seems bizzare. I can understand not liking it (although its a cracking little album except holy water) but to not even listen to it, it makes no sense to me.
Makes sense to me, I wanted to buy it, but didn't want to hear it. I am sure you have something but never used, doesn't have to be a CD.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Fri May 22, 2020 7:19 pm

I bought the W2MN and Paranormal vinyls and haven’t opened either, because while I listened to them on spotify and didn’t like them (except for a couple moments on each), I have all the other major studio releases on vinyl, so I felt like I might as well get those after this many years of collecting. Hell, I got Along Came A Spider on cd and vinyl, since I had no way of hearing it before hand.

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Fri May 22, 2020 9:06 pm

Could Hanging By A Thread be a left over from Brutal Planet that eventually became "It's The Little Things"? So then the band thought it would be cool to use the Pick Up The Bones vibe for the reasons I mentioned earlier?

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Tue May 26, 2020 11:12 pm

del wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:30 am
After being unwell and in hospital twice recently with some symptoms initially thought to be potentially Covid related this song resonates with me.

I've spoken to dozens of healthcare staff while in hospital and had to listen to really sick and rapidly deteriorating Covid patients through the wall in the next ward while I was waiting on my own Covid test results. Never heard stories or coughing like it, frightening. Huge relief when I finally got a diagnosis and it wasn't the virus.

Get well soon, Del. I'm very sorry to hear of the individual passing.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."