Mike Pinera

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Mike Pinera

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:31 am

Mike Pinera ( Special Forces and Zipper Catches Skin ) has kindly agreed to do a Q & A so feel free to come up with some questions here and I will forward on FB.

I will forward his responses for Si to add here.

mr.barlow

Re: Mike Pinera

Post by mr.barlow » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:29 am

Great job! This could answer so much if he talks openly.

There are so many questions I'd like to ask that at the time I can only think of one. I will add to the list as the week goes on.

What was the original direction and concept for the album? There is a markedly different tone and sound from the first track "Skeltons In The Closet" to the last track "Vicious Rumors" (which happens to have you as a co-writer and is the best song on the album).

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:33 am

Please keep them coming! He got back to me very quickly so he is obviously looking forward to it.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:36 am

Mike was also on the Special Forces tour too so lots to ask about that.

KeithGale
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by KeithGale » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:40 am

How did the writing process work, did Alice have lyrics or were riffs brought to the sessions?

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by VinceRaven » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:45 am

Great work! Well done.

I could fire off questions all day. Some of these probably overlap a bit, so apologies for that.

How often does Mike get asked about this period? Does he still encounter a passion for it or does it rarely come up?

How different was the atmosphere between the studio recordings of Special Forces and Zipper Catches Skin?

Dick Wagner described the recording of Zipper Catches Skin as “a drug induced nightmare.” Would Mike concur?

What are Mike’s abiding memories of the Special Forces tour? How did the band keep it together during what must have been a gruelling experience?

How did Mike feel about the fact that Vicious Rumours wasn’t fully included in the Special Forces tour set? Everyone I know that’s a fan of the album rates this as one of the best songs on it.

The Paris TV Special is a real oddity. Does Mike have any specific memories of making that which he could share with us?

Perhaps Mike could clear up for Si where the Metro footage for Seven and Seven Is and Model Citizen was filmed?

Is Mike happy to see the Glasgow Apollo gig finally get an official (albeit limited) release and does he have any specific memories of this one?

Was there a feeling that the final gig of the Special Forces tour (at the Glasgow Apollo) was likely to be the last live outing for some time?

And, following on from that question, was there ever any belief that there would be a tour for Zipper Catches Skin?

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:57 am

In re-reading my first post I see i made an error.
It should read:

"....markedly different tone from the first track WRITTEN for the album to the last track...."

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:19 pm

Was "Tag You're It" written and recorded in full or in part for the Special Forces album and ended up being used on "Zipper Catches Skin" to help fill up the album.?

Were you credited on Zipper along with Duane Hitchings, and Craig krampf because you were present at the Zipper sessions or was it because of your playing on recordings done during the Special Forces sessions which were used on Zipper?

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by VinceRaven » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:35 pm

A question about the Tom Snyder appearance would be good as well, though I can't think of anything specific at the moment.

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:45 pm

Went to all the London and Birmingham shows , looked like the band and Alice didn’t even wash the previous nights make up and fake blood from their faces. They looked grimier and grimier with every show. Thinking they were passed out between shows or just past the point of caring ! is that so ?

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:48 pm

Alice was always very generous with his bandmates, a really nice guy. Was this different in this special episode of his carreer, did Alice contribute to the writing sessions, did he have something to say about the final result ?
you really wouldn't understand..

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by VinceRaven » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:11 am

I reread some stuff and it seems that Mike and at least some of the others were indeed anticipating a Zipper tour. If that really is the case, does he have any thoughts as to what that tour might have looked like and what songs from Zipper did he think might have made an appearance? And would any others from Special Forces have made a live debut?

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:23 pm

A lot of good playing by Mike on SF...know it's been some time ago, but does he recall what songs He played guitar on ZIPPER?

Getting off the subject a little, but truly enjoy "Ride Captain Ride" from Blues Image, especially his solo towards the end of the song. How much time did it take to develop that?

Richard Polodor produced Blues Image and SPECIAL FORCES...any interesting tales about those periods?

Thanks very much.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:51 am

Im probably going to get the questions to him by Mon so if anyone has any more get them to me soon.

nurserozetta
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by nurserozetta » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:04 am

Firstly thanks for doing this , should be rally interesting.

My question , this was a completely new touring band , what was the audition like and what was the “brief” provided to the band members prior to the tour ? Further was the actual tour like ?

Railwayman
Killer
Killer

Post by Railwayman » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:55 am

Just thank Mike for his contribution to the Alice story. Special Forces was the first tour I saw and that band will always be special to me

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by VinceRaven » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:54 pm

I mentioned that Mike Pinera was answering questions to a friend of mine and he has a non Alice query that you could throw in if you want.

Mike's band Thee Image signed for ELP's Manticore label in the mid seventies and my mate is under the impression that this was a time of generously lavish expenses until the money ran out. Any memories of how they got that contract and what it was like for them on the label would be appreciated.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:48 pm

I'll make sure to ask.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:48 pm

1 was there any songs rejected from the album he wished were included?
2 as said earlier the tone of the album does seem to change was this deliberate??

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:46 pm

What actually happened with "for Britain only?" was this the only song written at the time? was this a left over tune from SF or completely new?

I just want to know anything from the recording, what set up he used. how long did the respective albums take to record, how was the atmosphere with alice/producers etc

I think most of the other questions cover things off.