Alice in the 2010s

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Alice in the 2010s

Post by dadascot » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:40 pm

Assuming 'Breadcrumbs ' is the final release of this decade, how do we assess his output from the last decade?? For me it has been productive and Alice having fun! We have had partial 're-unions on W2MN and paranormal and the unbelievable sight of the band on stage again as part of the induction to the rock and roll hall of fame and even better seeing them live in Glasgow. W2MN was, on the whole, a good album all be it with two stinkers. Paranormal, I thought was a superb classic rock album, breadcrumbs is brilliant straightforward rock. I loved the first vampires album and the second was mixed. Add to that 'live from the Astroturf' which is my favourite live album and the paranormal live and it has been an incredible burst of creativity. The main focus has been on classic rock and roll. Here is to the next decade.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Alice in the 2010s

Post by del » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:52 pm

Personally, I'd swap the Vampires albums but apart from that I'd agree overall.

You could widen this out a bit and reflect on a pretty productive period overall - all the other side projects such as Jesus Christ Superstar and Peter and the Wolf and guesting on other acts work, the ongoing work for Solid Rock, the radio show and the 100s of gigs with the band and also the orchestra in Germany etc. etc.

The music output couldn't have been expected in the mid 00's and has been thoroughly enjoyable and very positive but the overall output, whether you personally like it all or not, is great to see from where I sit. Makes me tied thinking about it.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:33 am

for me W2MN was a out and out classic. I get there are a few songs people dont like but honestly i can listen to the whole album and only get a itchy finger on the ballad. Its a great album with some of the best of his career (under the bed, I am made of you) that makes the album happily sit in the upper tier of his output for me.
Paranormal is a superb classic rock album with only one stinker (holy water) It annoys me that the CD was split and not just done the same tracklisting as the vinyl but that is a minor niggle and more likely a record company thing. Paranormal is my current go to album for just high octane "doing stuff" music. While it is not up there with my top albums (last temptation, welcome to my nightmare, killer, raise your fist, brutal planet) it is in the upper eschalons and miles ahead of eyes, dirty diamonds and along came a spider.
Breadcrumbs is a great little EP and i am enjoying immensely - again it isn't going to replace the afor mentioned records and it is only an EP and designed as a stop gap to keep his visibility up but it is a solid album with great energy and a great vibe. Cannot fault that, i do hope that the planned album doesnt repeat any songs off here tho, that would be very cool.

I'm so glad he got bob ezrin back into the fold, for me his inclusion has resulted in a MASSIVE quality uptick in the 2010s.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:46 pm

If I compare this decades albums compared to the last decades, then to me it is night and day. It is obviously subjective but dragon town and Acas are two of his worst albums, and I am not a fan of BP although lyrically and conceptually it is strong I just don't like the Industrial metal sound. Eyes and DD are solid rockers but to me Alice excels at classic Rock with the Alice twist. It is amazing he can still put out high energy music but frightening that we are entering the third decade of the millennium.

Mr. Templar
Trash
Trash

Post by Mr. Templar » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:58 am

I disagree, strongly.

I didn't mind when he went retro for EOAC and Dirty Diamonds, they were cool. But someone seriously needs to sit Alice down and gently remind him that it's no longer 1971. I remember a blabbermouth article about how he'd like to have Halestorm's audience a few weeks back. But in order for him to do that he needs to modernize his sound.

This decade was a bit promising. W2MN had great potential and I wished he would have toured off that album. Sadly we got Wake the Dead and Hollywood Vampires, Alice's horrible cover band performing horrible covers. Paranormal was his worst album since Lace and Whiskey, and for 2020 he's going back to that 'detroit sound' for the next record?

Honestly, who wants to hear yet another cover of Bowie's Heroes? Im actually surprised Alice and the HV cronies didn't try to cover Queen's Spread Your Wings

Enough Alice! As Nimoy said in a movie: "Time abhors a vacuum." Some of the recent stuff has been alright, but it's also been subpar. I don't want to hear another Paranormal, I never want to hear Paranormal ever again. (Even now I hear Holy Water in my head and I want to vomit)

I guess Im just disheartened he's on the nostalgia concept. The only silver lining to this is that at least both Rob Zombie and Marylin Manson have made crappier albums than Alice.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:29 am

to quote something from WTMNM2 :excuse me ? Of course, everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but this must have been the first time I saw Lace and Whiskey and Paranormal mentioned in the same league :) .
I for one find Paranormal one of his best efforts in the 2010s. The only record I still can't give a decent place is ACAS; problably because the expectations ( promo, clips etc) where too high in comparison with the final result.
but again, each one his own opinion...
you really wouldn't understand..

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:08 am

I'm sure he would love to see far more people jumping around at gigs but even Alice knows that you need to be young to have a young audience.

How many acts in their 70s don't have an audience where 80%+ have grown up with them and are therefore considerably more subdued at gigs and set in their views on the music than they were even 10 years ago. These pages are full of that at times with people craving the good old days, whatever version of that they covet the most.

In the 00s I found that I was playing Alice less and less simply because I preferred discovering newer music. His releases were fine (apart from ACAS) but I wasn't being pulled back to him beyond TEOAC. WTMN2, Paranormal and even Rise (to some extent) have reversed that trend and have freshened things up a lot for me. Breadcrumbs is fine as well, for what it is, but it does feel like a nostalgia trip and has pulled me back a bit. I'm a bit wary of that for next year's release.

Being frank though, whilst I'd love the trip to last forever, the 20s could well see the last releases. I genuinely think he has a couple of original gems left in his pocket and I'm desperate to hear them before covers, unless he is going to reinvent them completely and take them to a different level.

Inmate
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Inmate » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:29 pm

This has been an amazing decade for Alice! As a fan, I’m always going to a remember Alice in the 2010s. It was a great time. :alice:
"I'm just another case…”

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:46 am

Paranormal contained more songs that I liked on an Alice album since Brutal Planet.

I really hope he doesn't go back to a horrible metal shriekfest!

To Mr Templar, a new album of any style won't make an ounce of difference to live Alice as he barely plays any new album stuff.