Breadcrumbs

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Conspiracy
Trash
Trash

Breadcrumbs

Post by Conspiracy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:16 am

What are thoughts on the Breadcrumbs record so far? A few songs could be heard before release date already.

Phil1985
Trash
Trash

Re: Breadcrumbs

Post by Phil1985 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:38 am

I like what I’ve heard so far, the snippets have been cool, especially ‘your mamma won’t like me’ and I heard the Bob Seger song in its entirety yesterday, just good old fashioned, straight ahead rock.
Dirty diamonds was put to us as straight forward garage rock and after nearly 15 years I still can’t get into it fully, had it sounded like breadcrumbs (at least what I’ve heard thus far) a ballsy, Detroit, not overproduced, garage band sound, then it wouldn’t have left the turntable.
So, excited.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:41 pm

Phil1985 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:38 am
I like what I’ve heard so far, the snippets have been cool, especially ‘your mamma won’t like me’ and I heard the Bob Seger song in its entirety yesterday, just good old fashioned, straight ahead rock.
Dirty diamonds was put to us as straight forward garage rock and after nearly 15 years I still can’t get into it fully, had it sounded like breadcrumbs (at least what I’ve heard thus far) a ballsy, Detroit, not overproduced, garage band sound, then it wouldn’t have left the turntable.
So, excited.
Did you go back & listen to the Bob Seger original & it's B-Side?
It's easy to see why East Side Story was chosen. The b-side isn't half bad either.
AC & the others did a fine job updating a 50 year old Detroit classic!
I still have Dirty Diamonds in rotation though. :alice:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:11 am

So I read on FB that Detroit City 2020 was also played on NWAC...Any official links available to the track taht can be posted?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:53 pm

If anyone can catch the first name Alice says in 'Go Man Go' (the line before "Crazy Anne") let me know. I can't make it out.

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:46 pm

To answer my own question a lyric video has been released for Detroit City 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9owj-5Mw60

Conspiracy
Trash
Trash

Post by Conspiracy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:55 pm

Sure hope he gets the endless covers thing out of his system soon, but these 5 recordings are nice.

Paid special attention to the new original song (Go Man Go), since it gives an update on how the next album could look.

He likes to write lyrics including themes from Steal That Car / Baby Can't Drive / Run Down The Devil / Dynamite Road. Fits the Detroit theme.

Too bad there's not a CD. Just vinyl and online for this EP it seems.

Conspiracy
Trash
Trash

Post by Conspiracy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:59 pm

Si wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:53 pm
If anyone can catch the first name Alice says in 'Go Man Go' (the line before "Crazy Anne") let me know. I can't make it out.
Can't tell either about the prior line Si, but it's Crazy 'Jane', not Crazy 'Anne'.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:02 pm

Conspiracy wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:59 pm
Si wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:53 pm
Can't tell either about the prior line Si, but it's Crazy 'Jane', not Crazy 'Anne'.
Haha true.. no idea why I wrote Anne...

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:03 am

I think the covers sound good. The production is the best in ages. As for the two originals, I am not a fan of the updated Detroit City. The chorus of the original had a great hook, and it fit the song. The updated version feels disjointed and fall flats due to no hook. Go Man Go however is a winner. Punky, garage rock always makes me happy. Hope there are more of these kinds of songs.

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:31 am

If the original Detroit City (in fact the entire Eyes album) had the production sound of DC2020 then I would have preferred the original. As it stands I think the new version is much better.

Has anyone who ordered the vinyl received their digital downloads yet? Was hoping to get this in the car before I head out.

Phil1985
Trash
Trash

Post by Phil1985 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:31 am

Had this on now since last night, when my copy arrived, I think it’s fantastic!!!
I grant you that compared to the original ‘Detroit city 2020’ sounds a little clunky but thats it really, the production is great, raw yet clean, everything can be heard, Alice is in great voice, especially on ‘your mama won’t like me’ that sounds so good, (I’ve woken half of London up this morning with that blasting out of the van window), it’s got balls, I even love the cover (the record sleeve) I know it’s an image we have all seen many times before but it works really well.
Let’s hope this is a true taste of things to come!!!!

Phil1985
Trash
Trash

Post by Phil1985 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:41 am

To reply to Si, could the name before Crazy Jane be ‘kit with the candle’?
Crazy Jane was a comic book character, late 80s early 90s maybe?
I’m sure there was a character in that called something like ‘kit with a candle’
Just a thought, I might be miles away on this.

Model Citizen
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Model Citizen » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:47 am

I'll throw in some love for the original "Detroit City" as well. I really don't dig this reworking at all. The bombastic production and performances of the original are tough to beat. That version feels like an anthemic energetic celebration of the city and its music. The new one feels...empty.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:49 am

Phil1985 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:41 am
I’m sure there was a character in that called something like ‘kit with a candle’
I thought of that as well as it wold kinda make sense. 'Crazy Jane' was/is a member of DC's 'Doom Patrol' but I couldn't find any other related name that fitted with what you hear on the record.
There was a villain called the Candlemaker. Could that b what you are recalling?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:03 am

Si wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:49 am
Phil1985 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:41 am
I thought of that as well as it wold kinda make sense. 'Crazy Jane' was/is a member of DC's 'Doom Patrol' but I couldn't find any other related name that fitted with what you hear on the record.
There was a villain called the Candlemaker. Could that b what you are recalling?
On lyric site has it as "Hamtramck Hammer"
Hamtramck, MI is part of Detroit so would make sense, but 100% convinced.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:17 pm

Wow! This is superb. Exactly how Alice should be, straight forward classic rock. Alice's voice is very strong. Devil with the blue dress on is great sassy blues. I l love this album. Very happy chappy.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:07 pm

I am not sure about the reworked detroit city but perhaps that is because I have recently got eyes on vinyl and have been playing it to death. The new song 'go man go' is a real Alice rocker. My only slight disappointment is that with this being a one off special it would have been a good opportunity to work with the OGs again.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:01 pm

Nothing in the post for me today so no too happy at all. Been streaming it all day though and really enjoying it for what it is and certainly think the Detroit sound is here, not just because of the choice of tracks.

Agree the production is crisp and the voice is clear. Obviously no problem with that but then again I haven't had too many problems with the other recent releases either so no big deal to me overall.

I was never able to play the original Detroit after the first few listens as to me the chorus was cheesy. The new version sounds much better and I have probably already played it more often than the original.

Personally delighted at the recent volume and variety of output in all its forms, it feels like a real Indian summer for the career. Long may it continue.

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:28 pm

I wonder if any thing from this will make its way on to the UK tour. He has been good to us in the UK. DVD releases of UK shows. A halloween show in Glasgow 2011 as well as Arthur Brown in London that year, and the never to be forgotten OACG set in 2017. I wonder if just maybe Detroit City 2020 might edge its way into the spot Desperado was in.
Last edited by rgallie on Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.