For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: ‘Ol black eyes is back Tour

Post by cooperrocks » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:11 pm

We all have our different preferences but I have a different take. First of all, Nita Strauss is the highlight of this tour as usual. She is so good and adds so much energy to the show and has brought so much new found recognition for Alice. I like the fact he has gone into a little bit heavier sound with a lot of the live songs.

Now my thoughts. Feed My Frankenstein sounds much more fresh on this tour maybe because it is opening the show. This is the best I have heard it sound. Bed of Nails really sounds good live as well. While Raped and Freezin' is one of my favorite original group songs (though I admit I am a bigger solo Alice fan) and I have heard others say this I don't think it flows in that well with the other songs. I actually think I would put Snakebite which has been rehearsed or Freedom there.

The show is great though there seem to be some guillotine problems this year with it not working properly. Roses on White Lace is the absolute highlight for me. That song sounds incredible and the band sounds incredible on it.

I love Teenage Frankenstein as the closer, love it!

This band is so incredible sounding and I love all the solos. I have very few constructive criticisms with the new show. I think we need to all remember that there are people of various ages who became Alice fans and for so long the 80's Alice fan was ignored. Many became fans starting with Constrictor or the Trash album. There should be room for that fan as well.

I have to disagree on Glen Sobel. In my opinion, he is the best drummer Alice has ever had from any era.

I would like to see Billion Dollar Babies be given a rest.

mkayers
Trash
Trash

Post by mkayers » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:13 pm

Does anyone know if we're going to get a full show on the Halestorm dates? Or will it be shortened?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:16 pm

mkayers wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:13 pm
Does anyone know if we're going to get a full show on the Halestorm dates? Or will it be shortened?
I don't think we know yet as no one has said anything officially and obviously the Halestorm tour hasn't started yet, but going on past co-headline things it's likely a couple of songs will have to be dropped and both bands will play around 75-80 minutes.
Will only know for sure after the first show though :)

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:02 pm

Kyler actually said in a recent post that it would be the complete show when touring with Halestorm...

Did My stars get dropped? It wasn't listed on the iowa setlist?
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:06 pm

AlongCameASpider27 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:02 pm
Kyler actually said in a recent post that it would be the complete show when touring with Halestorm...
Oh nice. Didn't see that.
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:02 pm
Did My stars get dropped? It wasn't listed on the iowa setlist?
Bloody hope not!!!!!!!!

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:15 pm

From Kylers post on Alice Cooper Army facebook group:
Been seeing this question a lot - so for any folks wondering, Alice IS performing last on the Alice Cooper/Halestorm/Motionless In White dates and he is playing his full set, 90 minutes. What you will see at the Halestorm / Alice shows is going to be the same show that you’d see on an evening with show. Of course that doesn’t necessarily mean that the setlist will be exactly the same, it’s possible it’ll change a little as we do shows and fine tune things. But you won’t be losing any “Alice” time by going to the Halestorm / Alice dates. Thanks and see you all there!

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:18 pm

I mean maybe its a fluke or a typo or they decided to drop it, but the Iowa setlist from last night on setlist.fm IS missing My Stars...

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:57 pm

I should've waited to buy tickets. I'm pretty lukewarm to the setlist, and if My Stars is out for good, it will make it pretty much not worth seeing. The friend that I got them for is not excited since he is a big fan of the four classic ACG albums, and his two favorites, Halo Of Flies and Dwight Fry, aren't in the set for the first time in a few years. Was thinking about tossing them up for resell, but looking on the ticketmaster site, the Biloxi show has a ton of seats still available and already quite a few up for resell, so I may end up counting this one as a loss.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:01 pm

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:18 pm
I mean maybe its a fluke or a typo or they decided to drop it, but the Iowa setlist from last night on setlist.fm IS missing My Stars...
The Alice facebook account also does not list it.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:24 pm

If it's true and "my stars" was dropped its a **** travesty. The one song EVERYONE was thrilled was added to the set is the song he decides to drop.

Maybe it will get replaced with a cover song. I mean we all want to hear him sing some song by The Doors for the umpteenth time.

What a joke!

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:40 pm

I just hope he has a third Frankenstein song in the works, so that we get the bookends of FMF and TF plus one mid-set also. I really hate the idea of having to wait so long for another one to appear in the set.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:43 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:24 pm
If it's true and "my stars" was dropped its a **** travesty. The one song EVERYONE was thrilled was added to the set is the song he decides to drop.
Everyone? To be honest, "Bed of Nails" got a much bigger response live in Columbus. The response to "My Stars" was fairly flat. I'm not surprised, it's a song the old diehards love, but the casual audience probably doesn't know it.

In addition, I posted three videos on YouTube.... "Roses On White Lace", "My Stars" and a video medley containing short clips of 4 or 5 other songs. The "Medley" has 758 views and 4 comments, "Roses" has 620 views and 7 comments and "My Stars" has 394 views and 0 comments.

mr.barlow wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:24 pm
Maybe it will get replaced with a cover song. I mean we all want to hear him sing some song by The Doors for the umpteenth time.

What a joke!
While I think you're totally overreacting and painting with a broad brush, especially since we don't know if it's actually been dropped, the reaction a song elicits often has a big influence on whether it stays in the set or not.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:50 pm

My Stars hasn't been played since 1974. Most people have no idea about that song, but it would be nice to offer something to those who like that era. I guess if the show does end up seeing My Stars dropped, Raped And Freezing is that song for this tour even though he played it about a decade ago. Pretty lackluster setlist all around with the two terrible Frankenstein songs and two Trash songs. The obligatory one is indeed Poison, but Bed Of Nails is god-awful too.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:26 pm

Bed Of Nails is the GIANT turd in the whole set. Maybe he'll replace "My Stars" with the even bigger steamer "House Of Fire". If he dropped "My Stars" (which is THE best song in his catalog) I lost a mountain of respect for Alice.

For years I've spent defending his "business" decisions to play sets that appeal to the "casual" fan as I understand the business behind it. But he finally gives his diehard fans (who by the way have supported him through the great years, the bad years and the corporate sell out years) an epic add to the set (even if it was a truncated version) and after a few shows he drops it. [EDITED]

[Edited for Language and a second post deleted for same reason. Please re-read the rules you agreed to....
Last edited by mr.barlow on Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:29 pm

Hey Alice---why don't play some of your Hollywood Vampires tripe in the place of "My Stars"? Why not have a giant inflatable Johnny Depp walk out and kiss your ass!

BTW--spend some money and fix the guillotine!

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:00 pm

Barlow: It's not that I disagree with you, I don't. 'My Stars' is one the best songs Alice has ever recorded and one many fans have been campaigning to get in the show for years. That it hasn't been played live since 1974 is just crazy.
But if you repeatedly use profanity to express your views it will be deleted.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:11 pm

Sorry Si---This one has me apoplectic. You know how I always support Alice in his dubious decisions based on business---but this is inexcusable.

This is a pure slap in the face to the diehards. We've been treated to greatness and mediocrity over the years and we have supported him through all of it.

I bit my tongue and even supported his cover songs crap knowing the reasons behind it.
I get the whole Hollywood Vampires things---it's business and it's money.

But to FINALLY tip your hat to us fans who were there (some from day one--myself since 1980) and rode the rollercoaster with him and to then give us the finger is just inexcusable.

I'm taking this one personally. Alice just gave me the big finger, while he slathers all over the casual fans who own Greatest Hits and loved him in the "Staples" commercial.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:28 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:11 pm
Sorry Si---This one has me apoplectic. You know how I always support Alice in his dubious decisions based on business---but this is inexcusable.
If it's true I can possibly guess reasons why... but I don`t agree with the decision. If it's true I'm VERY disappointed, even slightly heartbroken.... It sounded amazing in the clips.
mr.barlow wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:11 pm
This is a pure slap in the face to the diehards. We've been treated to greatness and mediocrity over the years and we have supported him through all of it.
No, it isn't. Look at it from the other side. Alice is likely well aware that the hardcore fans wanted to hear it. In fact I know he was. People also desperately wanted Roses to be played (which to be honest I though we had even less chance of getting).
So.. they tried both out. *If* he's listened back to the shows and decided 'My Stars' doesn't work, for whatever reason, then I get that he would drop it. But won't be a deliberate slap to the hardcore fans. The fact it was tried out shows that he's listening and prepared to try things, but at the end of the day if he doesn't think it works in the show it will get dropped. Hardly the first time a song has only lasted a few shows.
Personally I don't agree it didn't work from what I've heard of the performances. I thought it was amazing to hear it finally, even a shortened version, and the more they played it the better it would be, but then I don't agree with a lot of the choices... such is life.

I agree it feels like a kick in the teeth, but it really isn't personal! Maybe the fact he thinks it didn't work this time will mean later on it WILL get played, and even better...

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:39 pm

CALM YOURSELVES, PEOPLE. My Stars has NOT been dropped. I attended the last 2 shows and watched it happen both times.
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:44 pm

NotSoPerfect wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:39 pm
CALM YOURSELVES, PEOPLE. My Stars has NOT been dropped. I attended the last 2 shows and watched it happen both times.
Thank you!

Crisis over... nothing to see here :alice: