For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: ‘Ol black eyes is back Tour

Post by Saint&Sinner » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:39 pm

for the first time in literally 10 years i am excited, genuinely excited for an alice cooper live show.
Dont get me wrong i always enjoy them but the prospect of a brand new stage (sorely needed) and the setlist i saw,
Roses on white lace, teenage Frankenstein, my stars, bed of nails.
that right there is rustling my jimmies tremendously. If only we didnt have terrible horrible seats to kill the mood. sigh.
still me and my mate will headbang so hard i will give myself whiplash!

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:19 pm

surprised no one has mentioned during the "black widow" medley,a portion of "black juju" is also played

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:58 pm

Killer setlist... killer stage... great to see legitimate effort here in giving us something new.

Alice delivers as always, but he does it like nobody else. The band is second to none and covers all eras flawlessly.

I took a bunch of pics and a few videos for a change.... click if you want to see them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAaRO65pUmw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91dVqjpidps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3sSJL7awTI
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Maaki
Killer
Killer

Post by Maaki » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:11 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:58 pm
Killer setlist... killer stage... great to see legitimate effort here in giving us something new.

Alice delivers as always, but he does it like nobody else. The band is second to none and covers all eras flawlessly.

I took a bunch of pics and a few videos for a change.... click if you want to see them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAaRO65pUmw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91dVqjpidps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3sSJL7awTI
Thanks!

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:52 pm

Links to copyrighted material are strictly off limits.. obviously, unless they are from an official channel.
That would include albums, songs, TV broadcasts etc UNLESS posted by an legitimate channel ie EarMusic, Warner Brothers, NBC etc.

Other stuff is a little more difficult. I think nowadays that live clips posted a youtube are a little hard to say no to. It is so normal to see them posted there and linked everywhere else. Also YouTube does have deals in place with copyright holders. If the rights owner doesn`t want a clip there, they can easily get it taken down.

I do NOT know what 1313 posted so I can`t comment on that.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:11 am

Si wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:52 pm
I think nowadays that live clips posted a youtube are a little hard to say no to. It is so normal to see them posted there and linked everywhere else. Also YouTube does have deals in place with copyright holders. If the rights owner doesn`t want a clip there, they can easily get it taken down.
Exactly Si. YouTube videos are everywhere. I think they generally serve as good promotion. Certainly, nobody is skipping a show because of YouTube videos especially as frickin' good as this band is.

But, if the band or you deem them not acceptable here, I'd abide by that without question. It certainly never occurred to me in 2019 that a couple of live vids of individual songs wouldn't be acceptable, until the self-appointed mall guard stepped in.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:28 am

I witnessed the 1987 live shows and performances of Roses On White Lace. It was incredible then--but having Sheryl as the bride just takes this version to an entirely new level.

Whoever came up with that idea and choreography deserves a mountain of praise. Also, the two tiered stage is also genius. They have to find a way to throw someone off the second level!

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:08 am

I have to confess to being a bit of a You Tube junkie. I do like trawling through to view historical concert footage etc.

I’ll also be the first to whinge when someone sticks a camera phone up in the air at a show.

I guess that makes me a total hypocrite :)
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:35 pm

wind_up_toy wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:08 am
I’ll also be the first to whinge when someone sticks a camera phone up in the air at a show.
Whenever I'm taking video, I try to be considerate and keep the phone as low as possible. I only took 2.5 songs and then some clips of a couple others. Some people will practically record the entire show, but that takes away the enjoyment of the show itself when you've viewing the whole thing threw the phone screen.

Too often, I wish I'd taken some video and have taken none so I'm trying to find a little balance. And was trying to capture a few of the rare tunes for people that won't see the show.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:40 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:35 pm
wind_up_toy wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:08 am
Whenever I'm taking video, I try to be considerate and keep the phone as low as possible. I only took 2.5 songs and then some clips of a couple others. Some people will practically record the entire show, but that takes away the enjoyment of the show itself when you've viewing the whole thing threw the phone screen.

Too often, I wish I'd taken some video and have taken none so I'm trying to find a little balance. And was trying to capture a few of the rare tunes for people that won't see the show.
I must say that I never photo / film anything, but my other half does a bit if she comes with me. I do appreciate when people post up good videos, especially if they are considerate when shooting the footage like you are.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

Rhapsody of Fire
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Rhapsody of Fire » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:02 am

rgallie wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:28 pm
Some clips on youtube now for those without facebook.

I have to say Steven is awesome. Stage reminds me of Alice of the 80s, This is going to be awesome.

Ticketing sorted out (in UK anyway), proper new stage design and some awesome songs in the set...can't wait. Had I turned my nose up at this because it has been the same show for years I would be gutted if tickets had now sold out.

On a side note I hope they are packing some WD40 for that guillotine :rotfl:
I read somewhere that they will replace the guillotine with a catapult, and will throw a bunch of faux felines in the crowd.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:15 am

And from what I've seen on YouTube this tour and band ranks right up there with the 1986/1987 band in energy and power. This is Alice at his very best. I have a feeling this tour is going to be a huge success and go down as one of Alice's best. All involved should take a bow.

Also, Nita is just incredible--her energy on stage just brings everybody up a notch. It's contagious. You can see it in Alice--honestly, this reminds me of 1986 Alice.
Me and my friend have commented the same on the last tour, we were just gutted the seats sucked the life out of the crowd. from the footage I am seeing this still seems to be the case, this must really get the band/alice down.
[/If there is one term that makes me wretch it's the term "man cave". Middle aged men in their own romper room with cheap beer signs and overpriced sports crap.quote]
Fully agree, I have a music room in my house with my cds/vinyl and a practise room for my band but my missus is just as at home in them as I am. man cave kinda implies that you need to get away from your missus, I never had that issue as we are into the same crap (broadly speaking)

AliceFan
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by AliceFan » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:42 am

Wasn't like that at all at the foxwoods show the whole audience was into the show singing along to the songs and really interested in the new stage show setup. I don't think Alice /band would let something as little as this worry them according to each of their twitter pages they (band) always have a good time at each show and just go with the flow and are glad to be on stage with a legend like Alice.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:38 am

From the limited footage I have seen, My Stars is the standout musically. It's a pretty faithful version and the drummer even tries to copy Neal!

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:06 pm

"the drummer" - loss of memory? Suppose he has only been there for eight years or so.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:52 pm

Deleted a load of posts. More bickering.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:19 am

My Stars is the standout musically. It's a pretty faithful version and the drummer even tries to copy Neal!
I will look forward to seeing how Glen copes with some of this material, I have always found his style quite sloppy with little energy but would happy to see him nail it.
More worried about roses (I don't want to hear any clips on youtube until I have seen it myself, live) as the drumming by Ken K mary (although not technically difficult) has so much energy and drive it should be a real scene stealer if done right.

nrc
Trash
Trash

Post by nrc » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:55 am

I was thrilled when they announced an early solo tour date for Columbus. I'm not a fan of the double bills and I was excited to see one of the early dates of the new show. It looked like an excellent crowd in spite of thunderstorms in the area that produced a 20 minute downpour just prior to the show.

Put me down as someone who likes venues with seats. I'd much rather have a reserved seat that I can sit in prior to the show and have my spot designated on a ticket even if I end up standing the whole show. I've been down front plenty of times so I'm over fighting for space in a GA pit.

Spoilers below although I think most of this has been mentioned.

I can't say that I would pick Feed My Frankenstein as an opener. I must admit that I've grown a little tired of it being in the set list and now that they have another song where they can use the Alice/Frankenstein I think we they could slot something fresh in there. I suppose as an opener it kind of fits the castle theme.

Fortunately it really takes off from there. NMMNG is a great song and Bed of Nails is one of my favorites from the Hair Band era. I was thrilled to hear Raped and Freezin'. I feared that live performance of that one may have permanently gone by the wayside in these days of hyper sensitivity.

Paranormal is a very mixed bag in my book but "Fallen In Love" really comes to life live with this band. Great riff and great chorus makes it fit right in on this set.

This band also really rocks on Muscle of Love. It hits you in the face like one last blast of greatness from that original group. Followed by Eighteen and BDB things are really rolling.

During BDB they rolled out the first of the new gags. It kind of sort of didn't go off all that well in my opinion. It felt a little bit like a Stonehenge moment. When your awesome death catapult slowly pivots and poofs out a few faux bills it's no substitute for the tried and true waggle them off the sword bit.

Then there's the obligatory Poison. I suppose it's a "must" for the set list based on how many people discovered or rediscovered Alice in that era. But it's another well worn part of the set list at this point.

Nita Strauss solo. She's obviously very talented but she's not my style. I also don't care for solos that aren't part of a song. I get that some folks like this stuff. That's great, enjoy.

Roses on White Lace, again not a favorite. I was thrilled with the "metal" Alice era back in the day because I was in too young for the ACG era so I wanted harder edged Alice. But I don't think those albums have held up as well as a lot of the other stuff so I've never pined to hear this one live. Given the staging it seems like it will be a fixture. I can only say that combining a long dress with lots of stairs seemed troublesome. Be safe everyone.

My Stars! I thought I'd fall over. A favorite that I'd almost given up on hearing live. They rocked it out and I was ready for them to wind it up to a crescendo that would turn it into a rediscovered fan favorite ala' Halo of Flies. Then it just abruptly ended. What?

It seemed like a very awkward transition into a Devil's Food/Black Widow instrumental. The highlight was that thing which is normally that second most pointless of rock endeavors, a drum/bass duet. But they worked in a section from Black JuJu that laid bare the brilliance of the original ACG rhythm section. It was awesome.

Alice is back mit straight jacket and does the best version of Steven that I've heard in years. It was uncanny.

Dead Babies. Now correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like this is the first time in ages I've seen him use an actual baby doll instead of the monster doll. My knowledge and memory aren't as voluminous as some here so I'm open to correction. But it's significant in any case.

Last spoiler warning. The baby is rescued by giant babies and super giant baby and survives unscathed. Ironically I don't think "Alice" killed anyone this set so I suppose super giant baby is executes him for his lifetime of abusing Little Betty.

Escape. Again, Alice was in great form for these WTMN tracks.

Teenage Frankenstein - see above re: the metal years. But double duty for Alice/Frankenstein how can you beat that? I just don't think it's a good song to end on. My suggestion from that era would be "Freedom". Chain Alice/Frankenstein up and let him break free. Better song. New bit. Done and done. That one's free Alice. If you want more send my VIP ticket to...

Cheer cheer cheer

Standard encore.

Don't misunderstand my commentary about any of this as a negative review. It was a great show and I'll go again given the opportunity. I just think there are still some rough edges that will be worked out in the coming shows.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:17 am

Saint&Sinner wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:19 am
I will look forward to seeing how Glen copes with some of this material, I have always found his style quite sloppy with little energy
You most be talking about some other drummer named Glen, because Glen Sobel is not sloppy...and to say he's lacking energy makes me wonder if you've ever actually seen him play live or on tape.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:54 am

nrc wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:55 am
I was thrilled when they announced an early solo tour date for Columbus. I'm not a fan of the double bills and I was excited to see one of the early dates of the new show. It looked like an excellent crowd in spite of thunderstorms in the area that produced a 20 minute downpour just prior to the show.

Put me down as someone who likes venues with seats. I'd much rather have a reserved seat that I can sit in prior to the show and have my spot designated on a ticket even if I end up standing the whole show. I've been down front plenty of times so I'm over fighting for space in a GA pit.

Spoilers below although I think most of this has been mentioned.

I can't say that I would pick Feed My Frankenstein as an opener. I must admit that I've grown a little tired of it being in the set list and now that they have another song where they can use the Alice/Frankenstein I think we they could slot something fresh in there. I suppose as an opener it kind of fits the castle theme.

Fortunately it really takes off from there. NMMNG is a great song and Bed of Nails is one of my favorites from the Hair Band era. I was thrilled to hear Raped and Freezin'. I feared that live performance of that one may have permanently gone by the wayside in these days of hyper sensitivity.

Paranormal is a very mixed bag in my book but "Fallen In Love" really comes to life live with this band. Great riff and great chorus makes it fit right in on this set.

This band also really rocks on Muscle of Love. It hits you in the face like one last blast of greatness from that original group. Followed by Eighteen and BDB things are really rolling.

During BDB they rolled out the first of the new gags. It kind of sort of didn't go off all that well in my opinion. It felt a little bit like a Stonehenge moment. When your awesome death catapult slowly pivots and poofs out a few faux bills it's no substitute for the tried and true waggle them off the sword bit.

Then there's the obligatory Poison. I suppose it's a "must" for the set list based on how many people discovered or rediscovered Alice in that era. But it's another well worn part of the set list at this point.

Nita Strauss solo. She's obviously very talented but she's not my style. I also don't care for solos that aren't part of a song. I get that some folks like this stuff. That's great, enjoy.

Roses on White Lace, again not a favorite. I was thrilled with the "metal" Alice era back in the day because I was in too young for the ACG era so I wanted harder edged Alice. But I don't think those albums have held up as well as a lot of the other stuff so I've never pined to hear this one live. Given the staging it seems like it will be a fixture. I can only say that combining a long dress with lots of stairs seemed troublesome. Be safe everyone.

My Stars! I thought I'd fall over. A favorite that I'd almost given up on hearing live. They rocked it out and I was ready for them to wind it up to a crescendo that would turn it into a rediscovered fan favorite ala' Halo of Flies. Then it just abruptly ended. What?

It seemed like a very awkward transition into a Devil's Food/Black Widow instrumental. The highlight was that thing which is normally that second most pointless of rock endeavors, a drum/bass duet. But they worked in a section from Black JuJu that laid bare the brilliance of the original ACG rhythm section. It was awesome.

Alice is back mit straight jacket and does the best version of Steven that I've heard in years. It was uncanny.

Dead Babies. Now correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like this is the first time in ages I've seen him use an actual baby doll instead of the monster doll. My knowledge and memory aren't as voluminous as some here so I'm open to correction. But it's significant in any case.

Last spoiler warning. The baby is rescued by giant babies and super giant baby and survives unscathed. Ironically I don't think "Alice" killed anyone this set so I suppose super giant baby is executes him for his lifetime of abusing Little Betty.

Escape. Again, Alice was in great form for these WTMN tracks.

Teenage Frankenstein - see above re: the metal years. But double duty for Alice/Frankenstein how can you beat that? I just don't think it's a good song to end on. My suggestion from that era would be "Freedom". Chain Alice/Frankenstein up and let him break free. Better song. New bit. Done and done. That one's free Alice. If you want more send my VIP ticket to...

Cheer cheer cheer

Standard encore.

Don't misunderstand my commentary about any of this as a negative review. It was a great show and I'll go again given the opportunity. I just think there are still some rough edges that will be worked out in the coming shows.
EXCELLENT REVIEW!!