Rise - First reviews

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Rise - First reviews

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:24 pm

I think they were nervous that they could pull off an album of originals and threw these needless covers on.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:59 pm

At least with cds you can burn a copy without the covers. Maybe the track running will play better.
.org

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:41 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:59 pm
At least with cds you can burn a copy without the covers. Maybe the track running will play better.
.org
Or try just burning a cd with all of the covers & you might get that " Expensive Bar Band" sound that AC referred to. :rotfl:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:15 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:24 pm
I think they were nervous that they could pull off an album of originals and threw these needless covers on.
Either that or they just wanted to include them because they enjoy playing them live.

pitkin88 wrote:At least with cds you can burn a copy without the covers. Maybe the track running will play better.
I skipped including "Heroes" and "People Who Died" on my iPod and the album works just as well without them.
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:36 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:14 pm
Im guessing UK sales have surpassed 8000.
Yep. You gotta be realistic nowadays. If the album gets 100k plus globally it would probably be ok nowadays.

Suspiria
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Suspiria » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:44 pm

The more I listen to this album, the more I like it. Have now played it several times since release (that certainly didn't happen with Paranormal). I think it's the best record since Eyes of Alice Cooper.
Neil Harrison.

Rhapsody of Fire
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Rhapsody of Fire » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:07 am

Suspiria wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:44 pm
The more I listen to this album, the more I like it. Have now played it several times since release (that certainly didn't happen with Paranormal). I think it's the best record since Eyes of Alice Cooper.
"Rise" is a Hollywood Vampires' album, not an Alice Cooper's album. Two different entities.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:43 am

That's true.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:20 am

I finally got a copy delivered!
If this was the 1st HV release the forum would be gushing praise for the release! :HEART:
They've balanced the covers w/originals much better & even allowed Joe & Johnny to take lead vocals on a couple of tracks.
The core band has been credited with production & engineering a more cohesive product.
I would like to believe Tommy has a bigger hand in the final mix & release.
I hope they've got some more originals up their sleeve. :alice:
After the "next" AC release & (hopefully) a vid (or audio) of the Japanese release of the "Live HV" set we may have more to talk about. :8):
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:47 am

concolz wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:36 pm
Who's Laughing Now has a T.Rexy swing, but the rest is, mostly, bombastic nonsense. There's lots of stodgy metal plod; the covers add nothing (again); redundant 'intervals'; pointless, elongated codas. As for Bushwackers & Rise - aka Chas & Dave &Vindaloo - 'laughable rubbish' doesn't even begin to describe them.

Congratulations? I don't think so.

I'm siding a bit here with Concolz. Those short pieces are just pointless. The covers I don't like and the drums on the album are pedestrian. The production is muddy and the treatments on the vocals suck the life out of them. As with a lot of newer Alice stuff it would make a good ep. Depp and Perry are not good vocalists full stop. The first track is good but is 4 minutes too long. Bushwackers and Spider are decent and Rise is catchy and the most memorable. I'm sure that one will be the fan favorite live. Sadly, there's not a great song here. 5/10.

Suspiria
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Suspiria » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:15 am

Rhapsody of Fire wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:07 am
Suspiria wrote:
"Rise" is a Hollywood Vampires' album, not an Alice Cooper's album. Two different entities.
Alice Cooper is the lead vocalist. Seems odd to try and claim it's not an Alice Cooper album.
Neil Harrison.

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:17 am

Best thing since “Eyes” imo

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:35 pm

Suspiria wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:15 am
Rhapsody of Fire wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:07 am
Suspiria wrote:
Alice Cooper is the lead vocalist. Seems odd to try and claim it's not an Alice Cooper album.

When has there been an Alice Cooper album where he was not the main songwriter and others are singing less vocals?

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:34 pm

This is NOT an Alice Cooper album.
At the very best it's an album from a band that has Alice as one of a ensemble of lead singers.

If this is an Alice project can anyone please point to a point in his career where he has stood to the side looking almost hapless strumming a guitar...at the neck by the way...and looks kind of like a fish out of water at times.

If there was ever a time for Wagner to be behind the curtain it certainly is during "Heroes" to cover for Alice.

Alice would be much better served thrusting the crutch than strumming that guitar like The Singing Nun.

Shep....if you read this...please take that guitar away from him now. Give him the crutch, the maracas, or even a lasso. Anything but that guitar!

Suspiria
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Suspiria » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:47 pm

Whatever helps you sleep at night. I'd post a rolling eyes emoticon if one was available.
Neil Harrison.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:52 pm

Suspiria wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:47 pm
Whatever helps you sleep at night. I'd post a rolling eyes emoticon if one was available.
You can roll your eyes until you crap out.

Explain to me what in my above comment is incorrect?

Suspiria
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

The muppet show

Post by Suspiria » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:44 pm

Explain to me what is incorrect?? Okay, how about stating that an album where Alice Cooper sings lead vocals is not actually an Alice Cooper album. That is incorrect. It's just plain laughable that you're attempting to argue otherwise. :rotfl:
Neil Harrison.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:04 pm

You may want to tell that to johnny depp and Joe Perry......and Alice himself.

Why is the band called something other than Alice Cooper?

Did Alice and Shep finance this project as they have with nearly every Alice album of the last 20 years?

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:06 pm

For someone who claims to be an Alice Cooper fan its amazing how little you grasp it all.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:16 pm

I also believe there are several interviews where Alice specifically states that the HV is not an Alice Cooper project but rather a new band. At first he referred to it as a "bar band". Perhaps someone has a link or links to those interviews. I'm sure I read them on here through the links on the "news page" on this site over the last few years.

Alice has also spoke of his enjoyment of NOT having to play the Alice Cooper character while playing with the HV and that he likes being just another member in the band.

Let's make a few comparisons.

Are Cream albums Eric Clapton albums?
Black Sabbath albums Ozzy albums?
Tin Machine albums David Bowie albums?
Velvet Revolver albums Stone Temple Pilots albums?

Shall I continue?