Analyzing & The Meaning Of Lyrics & Songs

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

PFOLGORE
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Re: Analyzing & The Meaning Of Lyrics & Songs

Post by PFOLGORE » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:53 am

I find it best not to over think either Alice Cooper or David Bowie lyrics. They are both masters at creating some great imagery with their lyrics with little substance behind them.

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:04 pm

I think the early Alice Cooper lyrics, TLT album and Brutal Planet and a few more have a lot of substance in them.....compare them to that Kiss dross and 99% of that overproduced 80’s hair band shite.

Rhapsody of Fire
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Rhapsody of Fire » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:10 pm

About the song "Pass the gun around", Mr. Barlow, you talked about a bottle of vodka. And speaking of vodka, what I see in that song is a game of Russian roulette. Picture this: A hotel room, a lot of fans partying with Alice. Then, he gets a gun from the drawer. There's one bullet for six holes. That's mean 84 percent chances to survive, 16.66 chances to die. 666... The number of the Beast and the Antechrist in the Apocalypse. A woman approches, put the gun on her head. The rush of adrenalin is incredible. If she hears the little click...she will know that she won. Remember... 84 percent chances to survive, and then... pow...

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:28 am

The meaning of any song has different interpretations to each listener.

The song is about alcoholism. Wagner confirms it as such. Alice comparing the bottle to a gun.

The song is a very sad song about a man (Alice) coming to terms with his alcoholism and what it has done to his life. Basically making it not worth living. It is a song about loneliness, alienation and a life ruined by alcohol and addiction.

It also fits the theme of the album of a lost identity. Of a person not knowing who or what they are anymore.

Alice has mentioned in an interview that during the height of his crack use he looked into the mirror and saw his eyes were bleeding. Also, comparing cocaine (or any drug) to a woman is common in the drug culture. I believe that this song was as much about his crack addiction as it was his alcoholism.

The line "sees a little blood from his eyes" is a direct reference to the above Alice anecdote.
The line "she was just a reason to unwind actually the last thing I could find" to me is a reference to the crack cocaine. Alice turned to it to unwind after quitting booze in 1979, and it ended up doing the exact opposite.

The song is about a broken man who lost it all and wants to die. He wants all of the misery to end. It's the most personal song ever written by ALice and a fitting way to end the album and that period of his personal life. The ending with the baby saying "Dada" is brilliant as it points to the rebirth of both his personal life and career that was about to come just a few years later.

Also, the end of the album starts the beginning of the album.

Alice has used the word "Sonny" in lyrics throughout his career. I love the fact that "Sonny" is the character in Dada--and in essence the character is himself. There is SO MUCH in that album that is overlooked or misunderstood. It's a window into the mind and soul of Alice at that time. A true masterpiece!

nrc
Trash
Trash

Post by nrc » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:20 am

Agreed with the thoughts here. The last part of the song sounds like an actual relationship that has gone sour and not just a prostitute.