COULD BOND HAVE SAVED ALICE COOPER?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

mr.barlow

Re: COULD BOND HAVE SAVED ALICE COOPER?

Post by mr.barlow » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:43 pm

You've been a member on here longer than me. You can go back and read how easily offended some members became after reading some of my comments in the past. I was expecting the same backlash--and of course--it came once again in the form of YOU. If you simply found it "not funny" than why the big LGBT rant?

BTW the word "sonny" was a nod to Alice. I thought being a fan you would catch that---but perhaps that is a lyric you find "problematic" and care not to hear.

Just one more question for you. I'm asking for your opinion--not speaking on behalf of the LGBTQ community. Do you think the LGBTQ community be accepting of Alice if he were to start is career today using the same schtick he did to gain notoriety and fame back in the day? That is of a straight man, pretending to be gay--or at the very least androgynous--dressing in drag--taking a woman's name--all in the name of fame and profit.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:10 am

Can someone tell me what " Gay Ray " is? Though my thread has been completely derailed, all this talk of straight straight members is making me **** in a Beavis and Butthead way.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:20 am

Question for Swinger. If Mr Barlow is offending you so much how can you support an artist that openly makes fun of gays and transgenders? We have had The Prettiest Cop on the Block, King Of The Silver Screen, Genuine American Girl, The Saga of Jesse Jane and I think one more that escapes me.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:25 am

"Gay Ray" is a weapon developed by the villain Martin Luther Queen. He has two henchmen "Mr. Tinker" and "Mr. Bell". It's up to Bond to save the day. The name of this installment is "The Man With The Golden Bum".

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:26 am

I forgot to mention Alice was originally on Straight Records.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:46 am

Can we please give this a rest.
I'd hoped it was calm down on its own but it seems not, so please back on topic, or just stop.
Your choice.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:50 am

But Dad--it was just getting fun! Will do.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:55 am

mr.barlow wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:26 am
I forgot to mention Alice was originally on Straight Records.
Do you recall (many posts ago) that I said "Watch it Mr. B" & then you went on your PC rant? :bam:
Not that I didn't think you could handle it but, I could see the storm a-coming. :/
Please tread carefully & your humor will carry you far. ;)
At the moment, not so much. :nono:
P.S. Straight Records was FZ's imprint distributed by W.B. & that was also an inside joke in itself.
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:00 am

Si wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:46 am
Can we please give this a rest.
I'd hoped it was calm down on its own but it seems not, so please back on topic, or just stop.
Your choice.
Sorry Si, I was composing... & on the site before the upgrade it gave you a "heads-up" before posting that there was a recent that could have superseded, as yours obviously did. Please continue on, if possible.
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:02 am

I don't believe in treading carefully. When I have something to say I say it. Basically I rarely use my filter. If people don't like my humor that is fine with me. I still have a day job.

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:55 am

mr.barlow wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:02 am
I don't believe in treading carefully. When I have something to say I say it. Basically I rarely use my filter. If people don't like my humor that is fine with me. I still have a day job.
I have a 26 year old son (the age of my current Mrs.). He says whatever's on his mind - and like you, he refuses to turn on the filter. I will say one thing - at least I know where you and my son stand. That's admirable to a large degree.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

Cold Room
Killer
Killer

Post by Cold Room » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:05 am

As for the topic....
I doubt the use of the Cooper song in the James Bond movie would have stopped the band break up. The process had already begun. Plans were in the works for an Alice solo album and even the media attention gained by a song headlining a Bond movie would not have helped the 4 guys not called "Alice". Would have been nice for $$$ down the road....
What you want and what you get are two different things

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:11 am

"Would have been nice for $$$ down the road...."

You contradict yourself. How can you say the above quote right after you said, "headlining a Bond movie would not have helped the 4 guys not called "Alice".

Cold Room
Killer
Killer

Post by Cold Room » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:14 am

mr.barlow wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:02 am
Lucky for you. Management here allows you to get your licks in on about any topic you want to hit on. Want to bash me...that's OK. (You will get a stern - ''watch it''). A little Glen bashing? No problem. Just a half hearted ''excuse me'' is fine.
But I can't even use a good word like narcissistic. lol "When I have something to say I say it."

Cold Room
Killer
Killer

Post by Cold Room » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:15 am

mr.barlow wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:11 am
"Would have been nice for $$$ down the road...."

You contradict yourself. How can you say the above quote right after you said, "headlining a Bond movie would not have helped the 4 guys not called "Alice".
RE: it would not have saved them from being pushed out the door!

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:28 am

Glen basically dropped out on is own accord around the time of School's Out so how did he get "pushed out the door"? And wasn't it Michael Bruce who first wanted to do a solo project? Your close with all those guys---maybe you can have them share their own opinions on here----or are you speaking on their behalf?

And where have I ever "bashed Glen"?

And as far as narssicistic is concerned, I'm not the one who puts photos of myself all over FB. Photos in which a certain somebody looks like a dirty old mop.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:30 am

I didn't know there was "management" here. Si----are you really Shep using a sly alias?

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:13 am

mr.barlow wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:43 pm
I was expecting the same backlash--and of course--it came once again in the form of YOU. If you simply found it "not funny" than why the big LGBT rant?
You mean the "rant" where the point was that maybe LGBTQ people also enjoy Alice and it's silly that a bunch of old straight men sit and claim we would be so offended when they clearly are more offended by the very idea of LGBTQ people voicing an opinion about stuff they just don't like?

For someone who doesn't care about "offending" people you spend a lot of time talking about how much you don't care.
mr.barlow wrote:
BTW the word "sonny" was a nod to Alice. I thought being a fan you would catch that
Why would I catch that when it had nothing to do with anything we were talking about?

mr.barlow wrote:
Just one more question for you. I'm asking for your opinion--not speaking on behalf of the LGBTQ community. Do you think the LGBTQ community be accepting of Alice if he were to start is career today using the same schtick he did to gain notoriety and fame back in the day? That is of a straight man, pretending to be gay--or at the very least androgynous--dressing in drag--taking a woman's name--all in the name of fame and profit.
I don't know and I don't care. Because you can make the same thing for any artist that started in a past time. Would Madonna be considered provocative if she started today? Probably not. Would the Beatles be groundbreaking if they came out today? No because someone else would have done that stuff between the sixties and now. Would even someone like Marilyn Manson be the big scary boogie man for parents if he started now and not in the 90s? No.
Times change, and some stuff could only happen because they were related to that specific time period. That's not a bad thing or a good thing - things just are different in different eras, that's hardly a groundbreaking revelation.
Last edited by Swinger on Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:28 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:20 am
Question for Swinger. If Mr Barlow is offending you so much how can you support an artist that openly makes fun of gays and transgenders? We have had The Prettiest Cop on the Block, King Of The Silver Screen, Genuine American Girl, The Saga of Jesse Jane and I think one more that escapes me.
I wasn't offended by Mr. Barlow. I just found it silly when someone is sitting and talking about how offended people are when those offended people only exist in their own head, and act like they're being so breaking of "political correctness" when all they do is make a middleschool-age gay joke.

And yes, that is a thing I have complicated feelings about. But as I said before, if anyone cares to read what I actually write, I still enjoy the songs and the band and man as a whole. It's okay to have mixed feelings about something. It's okay to think some jokes has aged badly or "I wish he hadn't said that" without condeming it all. But apparently finding something problematic or pointing out that a joke is in bad taste is the same as wanting it all to be banned forever in some peoples eyes, because it "ruins the nature of comedy" if they aren't "allowed" to make jokes that basically boils down to "gay people are gay isn't that hilarious?".

That's all I have to say. Peace!
Last edited by Swinger on Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:54 am

Cold Room wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:14 am
Lucky for you. Management here allows you to get your licks in on about any topic you want to hit on. Want to bash me...that's OK. (You will get a stern - ''watch it''). A little Glen bashing? No problem. Just a half hearted ''excuse me'' is fine.
Ironic, as I have removed several posts from Mr. Barlow in the last week specifically because he was simply calling YOU names. But of course you wouldn't know that because I proactively removed them before you saw them...
Easier to just accuse me of being biased against you... again...
And no, I don`t think you NEED protecting or anything.. they were simply against the rules of the forums.

Cold Room wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:14 am
But I can't even use a good word like narcissistic. lol "When I have something to say I say it."
No idea what that is referencing. I haven't removed ANY of your posts recently that I recall..
It's so unfair...