Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: COULD BOND HAVE SAVED ALICE COOPER?

Post by Babysquid » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:34 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:49 am
I don't believe in political correctness--in fact I loathe it! It has ruined the nature of comedy. Anyone offended by my post needs to learn to laugh at life and themselves. We get one go around on "this ball of hate" there is no sense in taking yourself too seriously.
Not wanting to derail this thread too much but as someone who believes in what I think of as liberalism I actually quite agree with you. I suppose it’s not so much the original intentions of political correctness but the way so many choose to wield it like some sort of left wing facist paradox.

Where were we? Oh yes Bond! Save the ACG? Did he save Duran Duran?

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:16 pm

dadascot wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:07 am
In micheals book he says he likes the song and wishes it had been chosen by the Bond people. The album was released a full year before the film. My thoughts are that the song would have been re-edited for the film and would have been as big a hit as wings which would have impacted on MoL sales and opened the album up to more fans. The thing about the break up was that the band were set to renegotiate a new contract with WB and two monster hits MAY have been enough to get a great deal that would have encouraged them to continue, if the band had also been allowed a decent break.
I didn't realize there was such a long ago between the release and the movie. I think there is a fan edit played over the opening of the movie on you tube. There was certainly enough time for the track to be tinkered with.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:44 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:25 am
mr.barlow wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:31 am
than all is fair because I don't share their sense of self-righteousness.
I share your sense of humour and I'm not afraid to admit it!
That's because you're a rotten bastard too!

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:48 pm

What I find funny is there are members here who get all bent out of shape when feeling offended, yet they are on a fansite of a man who made millions by being offensive.

Can you imagine if Alice was starting his career in today's politcal correct world?

The snowflakes would cry that the song "'Im Eighteen" is discriminatory against those who are not eighteen and Alice's use of the crutch is an insult to crippled people.

"Black Juju" would be construed as racist.
"You Drive Me Nervous" would be an insult to those suffering from anxiety.
"Muscle Of Love" --ohhhhhh the toxic masculinity!

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:07 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:25 am
mr.barlow wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:31 am
than all is fair because I don't share their sense of self-righteousness.
I share your sense of humour and I'm not afraid to admit it!
Agreed and agreed.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:10 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:48 pm
What I find funny is there are members here who get all bent out of shape when feeling offended, yet they are on a fansite of a man who made millions by being offensive.

Can you imagine if Alice was starting his career in today's politcal correct world?

The snowflakes would cry that the song "'Im Eighteen" is discriminatory against those who are not eighteen and Alice's use of the crutch is an insult to crippled people.

"Black Juju" would be construed as racist.
"You Drive Me Nervous" would be an insult to those suffering from anxiety.
"Muscle Of Love" --ohhhhhh the toxic masculinity!
The above would be found offensive, yet truly offensive bodily functions are becoming mainstream. It's a twisted world.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:24 pm

I blame those farting Hollywood Vampires!

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:01 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
I don't believe in political correctness--in fact I loathe it! It has ruined the nature of comedy. Anyone offended by my post needs to learn to laugh at life and themselves. We get one go around on "this ball of hate" there is no sense in taking yourself too seriously.
Yes, making lame references about a black gay dancer with a punny name who no one but a handful of Alice Cooper fans remembers -truly the nature of comedy is ruined if a "provocateur" like you wouldn't be "allowed" to make "jokes" like that.
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:11 pm

Babysquid wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:26 pm
mr.barlow wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:53 am
I wonder if the LBGTQ will lead a protest to have Martin Luther Queen removed from The Strange Case concert video. Also, could Alice be accused on "identity appropriation" as he has a woman's name, made his name in the early days dressing in women's clothes when he actually is a heterosexual male. That would be blasphemy in today's ridiculous world.
I doubt that video is even on their radar. Might be good publicity for Alice if it appears though.
Yeah, cause LGBTQ people obviously can't be Alice Cooper fans. And they obviously didn't exist before now. No, why would some of us enjoy the music of a man who transgressed gender norms and always seemed to be on the side of those who were considered freaks by society. No, LGBTQ people only exists to be killjoys and hate stuff that grumpy old men who like to complain that "it was better before" enjoys - that's the only thing we do. ;)

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:38 pm

What I meant by that swinger is that The Strange Case video hardly likely to be significant enough to concern them

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:07 pm

I know what you mean. (well I don't know what you mean by "them" - as if it's an organization or something) That was my point, if it's on any LGBTQ peoples radar it's because they're already Alice fans - why else would anyone care about an obscure concert film from the 70s.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:32 pm

Swinger wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:01 pm
mr.barlow wrote:
Yes, making lame references about a black gay dancer with a punny name who no one but a handful of Alice Cooper fans remembers -truly the nature of comedy is ruined if a "provocateur" like you wouldn't be "allowed" to make "jokes" like that.
Swinger wrote:
mr.barlow wrote:
I didn't give the gay guy the "punny" name nor did I choreograph the over the top gay routine he performed on stage. Alice did. Alice to this day uses the limp writsed hand gesture on stage. I find both to be funny. I can care less if you dress in a dress or are as gay as Liberace. My problem is with people like you who get their panties in a knot over some ridiculous comedy. You may not find it funny but many do. Who the hell are you to decide what could be laughed at? I know there are many LGBTQRSTUV fans of Alice and most have a sense of humor. You obviously do not.

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:55 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:32 pm
Swinger wrote:
mr.barlow wrote:
Swinger wrote:
mr.barlow wrote:
I didn't give the gay guy the "punny" name nor did I choreograph the over the top gay routine he performed on stage. Alice did. Alice to this day uses the limp writsed hand gesture on stage. I find both to be funny. I can care less if you dress in a dress or are as gay as Liberace. My problem is with people like you who get their panties in a knot over some ridiculous comedy. You may not find it funny but many do. Who the hell are you to decide what could be laughed at? I know there are many LGBTQRSTUV fans of Alice and most have a sense of humor. You obviously do not.
I find Alice funny. I enjoy Martin Luther Queen in both the Nightmare show and Strange Case. I've never complained about that. And while I find some of Alice songs problematic these days I've never complained about them on this forum either, because I still enjoy them.
What I don't find funny is people making "gay ray" jokes that a 12 year old would think was too juvenile and then act like they're edgy and breaking some social taboo by saying that. But apparently not finding that funny and not finding it funny when people rant about people complaining and being offended about Alice material when NO ONE has complained is the same as not having a sense of humour.
Last edited by Swinger on Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:59 pm

Swinger wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:11 pm
Babysquid wrote:
mr.barlow wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:53 am
I wonder if the LBGTQ will lead a protest to have Martin Luther Queen removed from The Strange Case concert video. Also, could Alice be accused on "identity appropriation" as he has a woman's name, made his name in the early days dressing in women's clothes when he actually is a heterosexual male. That would be blasphemy in today's ridiculous world.
I doubt that video is even on their radar. Might be good publicity for Alice if it appears though.
Yeah, cause LGBTQ people obviously can't be Alice Cooper fans. And they obviously didn't exist before now. No, why would some of us enjoy the music of a man who transgressed gender norms and always seemed to be on the side of those who were considered freaks by society. No, LGBTQ people only exists to be killjoys and hate stuff that grumpy old men who like to complain that "it was better before" enjoys - that's the only thing we do. ;)
You are aware that the reason Alice Cooper dressed as a woman in the early days was to shock people and garner attention. All of the members were straight heterosexual males and one can make the argument that they exploited the norms of the day in which the general public had a huge distaste for the gay lifestyle. They made themselves seem gay in order to be perceived as freaks.

Alice always did stick up for "the little guy" and the "outcasts". That's what made him so accessible to so many different types of people. But one of his main personality traits is he NEVER took himself too seriously! I'd love for him to read these posts. He'd be laughing at the seriousness of some of his fans who are offended by such nonsense. Alice made his millions by being offensive. Again--he played the androgynous part in order to game fame. If anything he exploited gayness to make himself rich. Maybe you should turn your ire at him.

Can you imagine if he tried this schtick today? Being a straight religious man dressing as a woman, and taking a woman's name all in name of making a buck. How would that sit with you? Do you agree with Alice still using the limp wristed gesture on stage?

Live your life as you want to live it. Just don't tell me--or anyone--what they find funny is offensive to you. You are not the judge of what is acceptable and what others are allowed or not allowed to find funny.

We live in a free society (at least here in the USA) and I will NEVER bend to the tyranny of political correctness. If I offend you then you deserve it as your political correctness offends me!

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:03 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:59 pm
Swinger wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:11 pm
Babysquid wrote:

You are aware that the reason Alice Cooper dressed as a woman in the early days was to shock people and garner attention. All of the members were straight heterosexual males and one can make the argument that they exploited the norms of the day in which the general public had a huge distaste for the gay lifestyle. They made themselves seem gay in order to be perceived as freaks.

Alice always did stick up for "the little guy" and the "outcasts". That's what made him so accessible to so many different types of people. But one of his main personality traits is he NEVER took himself too seriously! I'd love for him to read these posts. He'd be laughing at the seriousness of some of his fans who are offended by such nonsense. Alice made his millions by being offensive. Again--he played the androgynous part in order to game fame. If anything he exploited gayness to make himself rich. Maybe you should turn your ire at him.

Can you imagine if he tried this schtick today? Being a straight religious man dressing as a woman, and taking a woman's name all in name of making a buck. How would that sit with you? Do you agree with Alice still using the limp wristed gesture on stage?

Live your life as you want to live it. Just don't tell me--or anyone--what they find funny is offensive to you. You are not the judge of what is acceptable and what others are allowed or not allowed to find funny.

We live in a free society (at least here in the USA) and I will NEVER bend to the tyranny of political correctness. If I offend you then you deserve it as your political correctness offends me!
That was my point. I don't find Alice offensive. Never have. But apparently some of you like to claim LGBTQ would be all offended when we're not. And apparently pointing out we're not offended (and that his breaking of gender norms and being on the side of the freaks back in the day was something positive) is the same as being offended now.

Care to point out what I said which is soo "tyranically politically correct" when all I did was say LGBTQ people can be Alice fans too without being offended and not find your childish gay jokes and your "everyone is so offended"-schtick funny? Apparently that is enough to offend you.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:25 pm

Like I said---I don't care if you find my humor childish or funny. Political correctness offends me. Who is anyone to tell me what I can or cannot say, what is proper and what is not, what is acceptable and what is not?

The Martin Luther Queen name and choreography is as childish as it comes---and that's what makes it so damn funny!

I'm sure that there are gay people who find the "gay ray" funny. I have a few gay friends are over-the top queens who make Liberace look straight, who would laugh at that joke.

So in closing, in order to extend a hand of peace, I will change the plot of the Bond film. Peter Sellers as Bond will have to stop Martin Luther Queen from flooding the world with "Queer Beer". Is that better for you sonny?

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:47 pm

Gee old fart, I never said what you can or cannot say - have your "gay ray" or "queer beer" if you want. But apparently you can say how people would or would not be offended by Alice and how silly of them it is to be offended - when those offended people only exist in your own head.
Personally I would prefer Martin Luther Queen as Bond stopping Peter Sellers from taking over the world from the underground with his Hetero Metro-system. What do you say about that dear?

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:59 pm

Those Metro-Hetero's are in a class all of their own. And I'm offended by your ageism.

There are people on this site---you are one of them--you are offended by what I write. You are on a fansite of a straight man who made his career by taking a woman's name and being offensive. You don't see the ironing (inside joke) in that?

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:05 pm

Swinger wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:55 pm
mr.barlow wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:32 pm
Swinger wrote:

Swinger wrote:

I find Alice funny. I enjoy Martin Luther Queen in both the Nightmare show and Strange Case. I've never complained about that. And while I find some of Alice songs problematic these days I've never complained about them on this forum either, because I still enjoy them.
What I don't find funny is people making "gay ray" jokes that a 12 year old would think was too juvenile and then act like they're edgy and breaking some social taboo by saying that. But apparently not finding that funny and not finding it funny when people rant about people complaining and being offended about Alice material when NO ONE has complained is the same as not having a sense of humour.
>>>>>>"And while I find some of Alice songs problematic these days..."

Care to share which ones and why you find them "problematic"?

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:25 pm

Don't call me sonny and I won't call you old fart, old fart. ;)
Once again, I'm not offended by what you write, I just don't find you funny - and those are not the same thing. I will however admit I think it's silly that you write a long spiel about how easily people are offended and how you don't care about that and pat yourself on the back for not being "politically correct" when no one had commented about being offended.

And no, I don't care to share what lyrics I find problematic because, as I said, I still enjoy the songs. I'm not offended by them, some jokes just don't age well - that's hardly something new.