Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Interesting (from Popoff book)

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:32 am

Cold Room wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:35 pm
Can any of you point out where I or anyone else here has mentioned the term "large tour"? LOL.
You pine for a full show up above. Yet, you honestly think they're going to put in the time and effort to rehearse and hone their skils for a full show and everything it entails for a handful of shows?

Let me say this, I saw the original band at Chiller a few years ago when Alice was at a car dealership right up the road. Everyone assumed it was going to be Good Records Part II and Alice would join the band on stage. Even they thought he might, but he ended up leaving town and never drove the 5 minutes over to Chiller.

They band played and were incredibly rusty. I felt somewhat embarrassed trying to defend them to my non-diehard Alice Cooper friends who described it as a "train wreck". It's a good thing Alice didn't show up that day.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:36 am

Couldn' it just be that Neal and Mike and Dennis are just plain glad about having the opportunity to do something with Alice again ( and of course would enjoy to do more ?)
I doubt they consider it to be "crumbles" thrown by Alice. They managed to do their things for 45 years now ..without Alice.
you really wouldn't understand..

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:29 am

Good observations here by all and as much as I love the ACG, a full blown reunion just will not happen. It would certainly be nice, but seems like it would be an awful lot of aggravation for all and really, without Glen, it just wouldn't be the same.
However, lets be grateful for what we do have. Alice has stayed busy and put out some good albums/tours (Great in many cases) and after all this time, he should have a say in what he wants to do. I'm personally not crazy about HV, but I'm sure there are those who will enjoy it and also glad Alice has had the OG on the last few projects, getting their name out there and it appears to Me there is still affection between them, but Alice just does not want to work them full time and that's just how it is,
As for the OG, Neal and Dennis have been pretty active the last couple of decades after Deadringer in 1989 with some GOOD work out there. Neal's KILLSMITH projects have all been decent affairs and Dennis put out the awesome BONES FROM THE YARD and the less so DRAWING BLOOD. I also thoroughly enjoy the Bouchard Dunaway Smith releases as well as Blue Coupe.
Michael still worries me a little, although he is looking much better than the last time I saw him (April 2009), but he does come off as a Gloomy Gus. Some people are just like that.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:54 pm

Ive not heard deadringer, before.....is it worth a £30-£40price tag? the cover looks like staple 80s rock/AOR (which I like, but approach with caution at those price ranges)

Cold Room
Killer
Killer

Post by Cold Room » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:54 pm

Si.....Sorry, but I have to leave the conversation. Too many in your group with a negative attitude about possible OG reunions. One member's attitude I am sure stems from animosity towards me, others attitudes stem from the fear that any reunion would take away from "their" Alice. I'll stay in my social media area (as flawed as it is) where original band fans are in a more hopeful and positive mode about the future of some form(s) of get together....Alice/Shep be damned! LOL
What you want and what you get are two different things

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:50 pm

Saint&Sinner wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:54 pm
Ive not heard deadringer, before.....is it worth a £30-£40price tag? the cover looks like staple 80s rock/AOR (which I like, but approach with caution at those price ranges)
Yep, pretty much what it is. It's good, if pretty generic mainstream rock. With Bouchard also in the mix it's kinda a precursor to BDS so if you liked that there's no real reason you won`t like this. Most tracks are up on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWPAeHIJOgI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_q-z6sdbWE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jek7bD0ZmNk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMPdgSFRNh8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HzpEutsjiA

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:49 am

Neal had a crumb this weekend playing, for charity, with Alice and Robbie Krieger.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:06 am

Cold Room wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:54 pm
Si.....Sorry, but I have to leave the conversation. Too many in your group with a negative attitude about possible OG reunions. One member's attitude I am sure stems from animosity towards me, others attitudes stem from the fear that any reunion would take away from "their" Alice. I'll stay in my social media area (as flawed as it is) where original band fans are in a more hopeful and positive mode about the future of some form(s) of get together....Alice/Shep be damned! LOL
Strange response and a shame that you feel that way. Actually felt that this thread was better than some of the polarised and insulting ones of recent years. That period seems to have passed thankfully.

Certainly no fear here as my Alice is the same as yours, the one who joined a school band with his mates decades ago, finally hit the stars at the end of a run of great albums and then, after years of excess and stress found that he wanted something differen, went his own way and made a success of it.

Our differences? I seem to like the period 1975-2019 a lot more than you do, I am taking a view that there is no major debt to be settled and that there is therefore no obligation to do it. I'm also using a logic that over a period of 40+ years, people and priorities move on and change.

Si's list was far more comprehensive than mine and goes way beyond a few crumbs in my book. It shows to me that the guys are very much still relevant to each other's lives but clearly just not as prominent in Alice's personal and business life as you would wish.

It's all views and opinions here so I'll stick with my main point that a tour (large or small, residencies or multi country) would be booked if Alice wanted it. If he doesn't then that's his choice. He does though, clearly still want to keep in touch and if it turns into something more then so be it. Just can't see him turning his back on the variety of other areas of focus as that makes no sense at all when he is clearly enjoying it.

I have had my ACG fix in Glasgow. It was grea but it certainly and surprisingly didn't leave me wanting more. Turns out that I've moved on as well, That's life.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:40 am

Saint&Sinner wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:54 pm
What Si said is pretty close to my opinion as well. Is sort of generic, but with Neal, Dennis, Joe Bouchard, Charlie Huhn (Ted Nugent from WEEKEND WARRIORS-INTENSITIES IN TEN CITIES) and Jay Johnson, was expecting MORE. The whole thing has a malaise about it and while not terrible, not worth shelling out big bucks for.

One thing that has not been mentioned in this thread mentioned here and somewhat surprised by that . Last month, bought an issue of CLASSIC ROCK with Greta Van Fleet on the cover in a QUEEN 2 pose. The book section has a review of Martin's book and the review mentions that Martin feels and I quote "THe classic Alice Cooper albums from LOVE IT TO DEATH through MUSCLE OF LOVE generally sound like Crap".

I like a lot of Martin's books (Blue Oyster Cult, Heavy Metal Guides for 70's-80's-90's), but a comment like that means I cannot take this book at all seriously.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:21 pm

Martin does seem to have his preferred eras (don't we all) but he doesn't outright slag anything off and it does have allot of varied quotes and bits and pieces i hadn't seen before (maybe for a more completest fan than me it is all old news but for me was very informative)
Id say the book is worth pursuing for a reasonable sum. It's far from perfect (possibly the worst book cover ever?) and there are several times the photos stem from the wrong era being discussed but this is few and far between so nothing to get too worried about.
I enjoyed it overall.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Wed May 01, 2019 3:51 pm

I guess this is my question and I think Si did an excellent job in his commentary. Where does it end? Let's say the original band does 4-5 full shows. Are people content with going to New York, L.A., London to see this? Because the average rock fan has basically always considered Alice a solo artist in all likelihood the size of the venue is not going to change. I know in Nashville Alice played a show a few years ago at a Performing Arts Center (liked the venue a lot) and while there was a good crowd there was also plenty of empty seats and then the next year it was announced the original guys were going to play some songs and the crowd was more or less about the same as the previous year. A good crowd but once again several empty seats meaning it didn't really change overall attendance.

I actually think what Alice is doing right now doing the tour with Halestorm and Motionless in White is a great idea. You will get some younger fans in there to see Halestorm (along with of course those of us who are there for Alice) and Alice may win over some younger fans. To me his current energetic band and playing some of his heavier tunes makes more sense for that kind of tour.

If Alice does a full album with the original band and frankly while I like the Paranormal album as a whole, I thought Genuine American Girl or You and All of Your Friends were average songs at best, with today's technology etc making an early 70's sounding album is very hard to do and if Alice does one album with them and a few shows, is that going to suffice or a year later are people going to still complain?

Alice is a touring machine. The other guys (no disrespect to them) have not been though Dennis has been active in recent years. There is a grind to touring and what I love about the current band is the energy they maintain and frankly after seeing Alice live many times my excitement is when Alice adds rarely heard tracks like The World Needs Guts, Pain, Grim Facts etc. not hearing School's Out or Eighteen again. I think Si is right maybe a 50/50 show for a few weeks is best case scenario but I actually think many people are fine with things like they are today, still drawing good crowds (so many older artists are down to the club level, Alice isn't), and still putting out quality albums. I actually wish Alice would do a full album with the current band. Roxie loves the 70's sound, Chuck Garric loves the heavy stuff, and I would love to hear Nita Strauss shred on an Alice album.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed May 01, 2019 6:16 pm

cooperrocks wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 3:51 pm
I guess this is my question and I think Si did an excellent job in his commentary. Where does it end? Let's say the original band does 4-5 full shows. Are people content with going to New York, L.A., London to see this? Because the average rock fan has basically always considered Alice a solo artist in all likelihood the size of the venue is not going to change. I know in Nashville Alice played a show a few years ago at a Performing Arts Center (liked the venue a lot) and while there was a good crowd there was also plenty of empty seats and then the next year it was announced the original guys were going to play some songs and the crowd was more or less about the same as the previous year. A good crowd but once again several empty seats meaning it didn't really change overall attendance.

I actually think what Alice is doing right now doing the tour with Halestorm and Motionless in White is a great idea. You will get some younger fans in there to see Halestorm (along with of course those of us who are there for Alice) and Alice may win over some younger fans. To me his current energetic band and playing some of his heavier tunes makes more sense for that kind of tour.

If Alice does a full album with the original band and frankly while I like the Paranormal album as a whole, I thought Genuine American Girl or You and All of Your Friends were average songs at best, with today's technology etc making an early 70's sounding album is very hard to do and if Alice does one album with them and a few shows, is that going to suffice or a year later are people going to still complain?

Alice is a touring machine. The other guys (no disrespect to them) have not been though Dennis has been active in recent years. There is a grind to touring and what I love about the current band is the energy they maintain and frankly after seeing Alice live many times my excitement is when Alice adds rarely heard tracks like The World Needs Guts, Pain, Grim Facts etc. not hearing School's Out or Eighteen again. I think Si is right maybe a 50/50 show for a few weeks is best case scenario but I actually think many people are fine with things like they are today, still drawing good crowds (so many older artists are down to the club level, Alice isn't), and still putting out quality albums. I actually wish Alice would do a full album with the current band. Roxie loves the 70's sound, Chuck Garric loves the heavy stuff, and I would love to hear Nita Strauss shred on an Alice album.

Why do you assume the band want to make a 70s sounding record? I know Alice live is a nostalgia act but we shouldn't assume the band want to just sound retro. Alice has said in the past that he wants a Killer sound to an album so it might get a little confusing.

I would be happy as I'm sure many others would to see a small residency in NYC or CA. I think the band might too.

Nothing Alice does solo changes attendance figures at this point. Anyway, as discussed, this should not be solely about money. Alice can afford to keep buying classic cars for a few years without sending out Cheryl to work as an aerobics instructor.

Makes me laugh how people can't wait to hear Nita on record with Alice. What recording experience does she have again? Kanes noodling hair spray solos were bad enough.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed May 01, 2019 6:45 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:16 pm
Alice can afford to keep buying classic cars for a few years without sending out Cheryl to work as an aerobics instructor.
Sheryl...
pitkin88 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:16 pm
Makes me laugh how people can't wait to hear Nita on record with Alice. What recording experience does she have again? Kanes noodling hair spray solos were bad enough.
Actually I believe she has a ton of recording experience, doing sessions on other peoples albums, video game soundtracks, and other stuff. She just isn't credited on most of it (often as there ARE no credits as such).
So it's not like she's never been in a studio before.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Wed May 01, 2019 6:50 pm

[Why do you assume the band want to make a 70s sounding record? I know Alice live is a nostalgia act but we shouldn't assume the band want to just sound retro. Alice has said in the past that he wants a Killer sound to an album so it might get a little confusing.

I would be happy as I'm sure many others would to see a small residency in NYC or CA. I think the band might too.

Nothing Alice does solo changes attendance figures at this point. Anyway, as discussed, this should not be solely about money. Alice can afford to keep buying classic cars for a few years without sending out Cheryl to work as an aerobics instructor.

[/quote]

I am not trying to get into an argument with you here because I respect your opinion but I feel there is a contradiction here. If people want an album with the original band then they want a modern sounding album? What then would be the point? That doesn't appear to be in their wheel house and Alice has made modern sounding records for that time like the excellent Brutal Planet etc.

Nita Strauss's instrumental album is amazing. I also love the Kane Roberts years. Raise Your Fist and Yell is one of my favorite Alice albums ever and outside of the current lineup, the years with Roberts on lead guitar was my second favorite Alice lineup. I like hard driving guitar solos. As far as not about money, that is making an assumption that Alice owes anyone anything or vice versa I suppose. The original band (and I know this topic is tired) made some really good albums and had some good years together. They were great for that era an era that ended 45 years ago. That is not to dismiss anything they did. Some of the other members of the band were planning solo projects too etc. There were apparently some band issues that starting occurring really with Billion Dollar Babies etc. Most bands (with a few exceptions) have about a 10 year life expectancy and then the originals start leaving and often the lead singer goes solo. Alice happened to have a big success with Welcome To My Nightmare and decided to move into that direction and at this point he is still putting out good albums and like you said the original band isn't going to affect attendance. He likes having a younger band around him and he is able to make the albums and write the lyrics he wants to write. It doesn't mean he doesn't care about the guys in the original band or even want to play with them on occasion but professionally his life changed many years ago. It is sort of like former places of employment I have had. There are still friends I have there and good memories, but when I left those jobs for another I choose to move forward. Like most of the people but don't have a desire to go back to the old job in most cases. Thanks for your comments.

VinceLeeRose
Killer
Killer

Post by VinceLeeRose » Fri May 03, 2019 1:02 am

Nita Strauss is not a song writer. She is a hired gun to play other people’s songs. (And average at that. Although she is good at flipping her hair and running around) This is why she has not been writing songs with Alice Cooper the last 5 years.

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Fri May 03, 2019 1:05 am

VinceLeeRose wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:02 am
Nita Strauss is not a song writer. She is a hired gun to play other people’s songs. (And average at that. Although she is good at flipping her hair and running around) This is why she has not been writing songs with Alice Cooper the last 5 years.
She released an entire album of songs that she wrote.
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri May 03, 2019 1:22 am

NotSoPerfect wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:05 am
VinceLeeRose wrote:
You also don't know whether she has written anything with/for Alice or not....
Many songs are written but not recorded or released, for all sorts of reasons.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri May 03, 2019 2:48 am

Si wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:22 am
NotSoPerfect wrote:
VinceLeeRose wrote:

I remember Steve Crayon writing some stuff for Alice that was never used.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Fri May 03, 2019 3:00 am

Si wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:22 am
NotSoPerfect wrote:
VinceLeeRose wrote:
I was rather disappointed with Orianthi's Solo release although it has vocals, Nita embraces the Satriani idea. I've been impressed by the videos & songs I've heard. Ms. Orianthi & Mr. Samboras' release didn't receive too much favor & soon Mr. Sambora was history from what I've read. I think Nita has been a fine addition to the touring band & maybe some studio work in the future.
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Sat May 04, 2019 12:30 am

Not to mention outside of Alice himself, no one gets louder cheers than Nita. She and Alice were featured on the cover of Guitar World magazine. When she appeared on some WWE broadcast it showed Alice Cooper guitarist. She has helped Alice publicity wise. She has been a true asset to the band and can flat out play. I hope she stays with Alice for years to come