Eyes of AC vs. Paranormal.......

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Eyes of AC vs. Paranormal.......

Post by evil syd » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:34 am

After listening to Paranormal for some time now, I realized that it almost has this album has this "Eyes of Cooper Part 2" feel. Sort of this garage band feel to both albums. I would have to go with "Eyes", the tracks are much more stronger, heavier,funnier...a little more of that Coop darkness feel to it,
DoCtOrS wAnT To ChEcK Me, PoKe Me, AnD DiSsEcT Me......

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Eyes of AC vs. Paranormal.......

Post by padre_sliprat » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:46 am

evil syd wrote:After listening to Paranormal for some time now, I realized that it almost has this album has this "Eyes of Cooper Part 2" feel. Sort of this garage band feel to both albums. I would have to go with "Eyes", the tracks are much more stronger, heavier,funnier...a little more of that Coop darkness feel to it,
They're both solid records, for sure. Since the turn of the millennium, I'd say TEOAC, PP and BP are definitive works. The others were spotty, at best. I like that he did release the "off" albums. It gives something to listen to, other than the cream of the crop, so we don't get bored with his best works.

I haven't heard ACAS all the way through, nor have I listened to HV. It's a luxury to have those as well, for sure. I don't know how Pink Floyd fans put up with such a limited discography to choose from. It's abusive to those who support them.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:55 am

padre_sliprat wrote:. I don't know how Pink Floyd fans put up with such a limited discography to choose from. It's abusive to those who support them.
13 studio albums, 2 soundtrack albums, at least a couple of rarity collections and numerous live releases is hardly limited and certainly not abusive for that matter.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:51 am

I lost them after The Wall, all sounded the same to me. Just couldn't see the progression. Still like to listen to the odd track but that's it.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:21 pm

It is sort of interesting. When The Eyes of Alice Cooper came out, I didn't care for it. I loved the heavier direction he went in with Brutal Planet (which is one of my favorite Alice albums ever). Then after Dirty Diamonds came out, I revisited TEOAC and now I really, really like that album.

On the other hand, I prefer W2MN over Paranormal and after about 7 or 8 listens of Paranormal with the exception of a few songs, it still is not one of my favorites. I like Fireball, the title track, Holy Water, and P.P and that's about it on that album. I will go back and revisit it at some point.

One of the problems to me and this has been discussed a lot on here, so I am stating the obvious, but these days there is no support for new music. You can't get radio airplay, there are few real labels anymore, and an artist will put out a new album and then not build a show around a new album and in some cases won't play a single new song off of an album. It is like the artist forgets about a new product a week later. Some might argue, what does that matter? It matters in the sense that sometimes through the years, I have grown to have a better appreciation for new studio songs/albums once I heard songs live or on the radio. It's the old adage of "If a song or album was so great, why is it a hit?" "It isn't a hit because you won't play it."

That's the thing with any new music Alice or other veteran bands put out. Alice could put out his greatest album ever and because the masses will never hear it, you would always have this "can't get past the original band or early solo albums Alice" (not meant as a criticism), there is a perception that the music is in decline when it is not. Sorry for the long ramble!

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:00 pm

Paranormal for me. The music is very well done. Eyes is such a harsh record. It's hard for me to like the music when my ears are crashing. I will say that "Be With You Awhile" is one of the best songs he's ever done. Swooshy and light.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:42 am

Babysquid wrote:
padre_sliprat wrote:. I don't know how Pink Floyd fans put up with such a limited discography to choose from. It's abusive to those who support them.
13 studio albums, 2 soundtrack albums, at least a couple of rarity collections and numerous live releases is hardly limited and certainly not abusive for that matter.
I can still listen to the live sides of Ummagumma, but that's pretty much it. What if they'd finished and released Household Objects? That would have been something interesting. Maybe it wasn't a great idea, commercially, but many fans enjoy those quirky side trips.

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:43 am

Dannorama wrote:Paranormal for me. The music is very well done. Eyes is such a harsh record. It's hard for me to like the music when my ears are crashing. I will say that "Be With You Awhile" is one of the best songs he's ever done. Swooshy and light.
The last two songs on TEOAC are really abrasive, then again, they're meant to be.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:22 am

I agree that the production on Eyes is pretty harsh. But it does kind of suit the music somewhat. Eyes is a very fine record.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:24 pm

I think they are both very good albums but give the nod to eyes. It has great humour, is consistent and Alice's voice is at its best. Also, this house is haunted and be with you awhile are two of my favourite tracks.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:24 pm

TEOAC wins every time for me.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:29 pm

I like Eyes but would go for Paranormal
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:07 pm

Paranormal by far. I never likes The Eyes Of Alice Cooper!!
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:35 pm

Paranormal by miles. EOAC is a good album, but my least fave of Alice's this millennium.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

E_maniac
Trash
Trash

Post by E_maniac » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:35 am

Paranormal by a bloody long way. Only one sub par song (holy water) Eyes has filler and bad songs to spare (along with the worst ballad of his career - be with you awhile)
Paranormal is strong and doesn't take the foot of the accelerator until the very end. A blistering album which while being fairly straight forward still has enough variety to keep it interesting.
Top songs - Rats, Dead Flies, Paranoic Personality, Dynamite Road, Genuine American girl

the Eyes is just a mish mash of differing styles which lurches from song to song. While the highlights are cool I found they have no staying power, the production is thin and reedy on most of the tracks with only backyard brawl and I'm So angry giving any punch. Again be with you a while is one of the worst songs alice has ever done.
Top songs - Love should never be like this, Between High School & Old School, Backyard Brawl, Spirits Rebellious(though this song should have been heavier and on dragontown)

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:04 pm

It really depends on what you want from Alice. Eyes sounds like him copying the late 90s/early 2000s "garage rock" scene while Paranormal sounds like him copying bands from 60s and 70s (sadly not the ACG though). Eyes has a "fresher" and more urgent element too it...mostly due to a more abrasive production. Sadly the album has quite a bit of filler, but it was also recorded extremely quick and meant to have a spontaneous feel to it. The songs that are winners are all really great. Paranormal probably has better writing, but it also pulls from a larger pool of songs and took probably 10x as long and more money to record, and sadly it isn't better on many levels. Overall not as many low points, but only a couple real winners, and a mix that just begs to be given a second chance. So overall, Eyes due to the nature and intent of the recording on a smaller budget.

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:26 pm

guttertrash wrote:It really depends on what you want from Alice. Eyes sounds like him copying the late 90s/early 2000s "garage rock" scene while Paranormal sounds like him copying bands from 60s and 70s (sadly not the ACG though). Eyes has a "fresher" and more urgent element too it...mostly due to a more abrasive production. Sadly the album has quite a bit of filler, but it was also recorded extremely quick and meant to have a spontaneous feel to it. The songs that are winners are all really great. Paranormal probably has better writing, but it also pulls from a larger pool of songs and took probably 10x as long and more money to record, and sadly it isn't better on many levels. Overall not as many low points, but only a couple real winners, and a mix that just begs to be given a second chance. So overall, Eyes due to the nature and intent of the recording on a smaller budget.
TEOAC has a waaaay better album cover.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:03 pm

E_maniac wrote:Paranormal by a bloody long way. Only one sub par song (holy water) Eyes has filler and bad songs to spare (along with the worst ballad of his career - be with you awhile)
Paranormal is strong and doesn't take the foot of the accelerator until the very end. A blistering album which while being fairly straight forward still has enough variety to keep it interesting.
Top songs - Rats, Dead Flies, Paranoic Personality, Dynamite Road, Genuine American girl

the Eyes is just a mish mash of differing styles which lurches from song to song. While the highlights are cool I found they have no staying power, the production is thin and reedy on most of the tracks with only backyard brawl and I'm So angry giving any punch. Again be with you a while is one of the worst songs alice has ever done.
Top songs - Love should never be like this, Between High School & Old School, Backyard Brawl, Spirits Rebellious(though this song should have been heavier and on dragontown)
Just goes to show everyone has an opinion, holy water is one of the highlights of paranormal, I love be with you awhile, great melody and his voice is superb.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:47 pm

prefer paranormal also above the eyes, but the eyes was/is a very good album imo
agree with dadascot on "be with you awhile" : same league as only women bleed or i never cry . Showing how broad Alice talent is , although it doesn't quite fit with "the Alice image " as we know it. (same for Sister Sarah eg.)
you really wouldn't understand..

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:53 pm

Will go with PARANORMAL.
"I need everything the world owes me..."