Genuine American Girl

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Genuine American Girl

Post by Babysquid » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:47 am

cooperrocks wrote:The issue isn't the lyrical content, the issue for me is I don't think it is that great of a song and neither is You and All Your Friends. I found both original band songs underwhelming, just my own personal opinion. There are several other songs on the album I like better such as Fireball and The Sound of A.
Initially I felt the same but they've really grown on me ( especially YAAYF) and GAG is very catchy after a few listens. I think Fireball and Sound of A are the best songs on the album in my humble opinion.

Today Mueller
Trash
Trash

Post by Today Mueller » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:12 am

I too am disappointed with the two ACG tracks.
Very ordinary. I was hoping for something different.
I agree GAG is catchy but to me that does not mean it is good. Plenty of catchy songs stick to my mind and I dislike most of them.

Fireball and Sound Of A are my favourites too. I guess you can say Sound Of A is almost an ACG song, although only Dennis plays on it.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:20 pm

Right and I certainly don't want to get into an argument with anyone (agree with you on the Sound of A) because I love the original band but I love solo Alice just as much maybe even more. I just think with some people and they just believe the original band is the Be All,End All and just can't get past that so it doesn't matter if the songs are only decent or poor, because it is the original band it is automatically better. I do think a lot of the stronger songs on W2MN involved the original band in some ways, but that is not the case for me with the new album.

I'm Pain
Killer
Killer

Post by I'm Pain » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:12 am

[quote="cooperrocks"]Right and I certainly don't want to get into an argument with anyone (agree with you on the Sound of A) because I love the original band but I love solo Alice just as much maybe even more. I just think with some people and they just believe the original band is the Be All,End All and just can't get past that so it doesn't matter if the songs are only decent or poor, because it is the original band it is automatically better. I do think a lot of the stronger songs on W2MN involved the original band in some ways, but that is not the case for me with the new album.[/quote

All a matter of opinion. I love You and All of Your Friends - the drums are like a locomotive. My favorite tracks on the album are the ones the ACG are associated with, and if you omitted those three (GAG, YAAOYF, Rats), and the two Dennis co wrote, and played on, (sound of A, and Fireball), I think you'd really only have the title track as a standout. I'm glad Alice tapped their talents for the new album. I think that overall, the album turned out pretty damn good - much better then I was expecting after the juvenile W2MN (matter of my opinion).

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:06 pm

I could do without Paranormal, Paranoiac Personality, Holy Water, Sound of A and GAG. That still leaves seven decent songs. My "The Honeymoon's Over" ranking - 5.9/10
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:18 am

padre_sliprat wrote:I could do without Paranormal, Paranoiac Personality, Holy Water, Sound of A and GAG. That still leaves seven decent songs. My "The Honeymoon's Over" ranking - 5.9/10
So, Overall a fine addition to the catalog? :alice:
I'm still at 4.5 out of 5, the .5 is for the Touring Bands "Live" material. Still could lose a point because the Honeymoon ain't over! :HEART:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:25 am

Daggers & Contracts wrote:
padre_sliprat wrote:I could do without Paranormal, Paranoiac Personality, Holy Water, Sound of A and GAG. That still leaves seven decent songs. My "The Honeymoon's Over" ranking - 5.9/10
So, Overall a fine addition to the catalog? :alice:
I'm still at 4.5 out of 5, the .5 is for the Touring Bands "Live" material. Still could lose a point because the Honeymoon ain't over! :HEART:
Yes, indeed, Daggers. It's solid, so yeah, a great addition to the discography.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

MVS 1009
Trash
Trash

Post by MVS 1009 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:05 am

Whilst I am genuinely thrilled that W2MN and Paranormal has seen the introduction of DD, BB and NS inputting some material I would still have to raise some question as to whether the actual end product of material that makes the final disc is a fair representation of the ACG or whether the songs that have been put forward to Alice and BOB have been diluted or even changed it in submitted format that's suits there current taste.

Correct me if I am wrong but did Alice say that the guys had put forward enough material (18 songs in once press interview) but only 3 made it onto the album. During the ACG era was it not an equal input where all parties including Bob would have a say therefore the album would be a fair representation of an ACG album.

Bearing in mind this is an Alice solo album both he and Bob would undoubtedly change and make any final decision of what they would deem suitable. The admission that Alice seems to have rejected so much of the material forwarded by the guys makes me even more concerned for any future collaboration and whether we can actually say its an ACG song or an Alice end product?

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:24 pm

MVS 1009 wrote:Whilst I am genuinely thrilled that W2MN and Paranormal has seen the introduction of DD, BB and NS inputting some material I would still have to raise some question as to whether the actual end product of material that makes the final disc is a fair representation of the ACG or whether the songs that have been put forward to Alice and BOB have been diluted or even changed it in submitted format that's suits there current taste.

Correct me if I am wrong but did Alice say that the guys had put forward enough material (18 songs in once press interview) but only 3 made it onto the album. During the ACG era was it not an equal input where all parties including Bob would have a say therefore the album would be a fair representation of an ACG album.

Bearing in mind this is an Alice solo album both he and Bob would undoubtedly change and make any final decision of what they would deem suitable. The admission that Alice seems to have rejected so much of the material forwarded by the guys makes me even more concerned for any future collaboration and whether we can actually say its an ACG song or an Alice end product?
You clearly have to take everything Alice says lightly, but he did state that this song was supposed to be I Want A Genuine American Girl, and that it was then changed under his and Bob Ezrin's eye.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order