Genuine American Girl

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

alicefannor
Killer
Killer

Genuine American Girl

Post by alicefannor » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:03 am

sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere.

really like this song - very catchy and difficult to get out of my head.

question about the lyrics though, from someone whose native language is not english;

at what point in the lyrics is it obvious that this is a man speaking, and not a woman?

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Genuine American Girl

Post by dadascot » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:48 am

The minute Alice sings!

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:51 pm

It's not obvious.
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."

alicefannor
Killer
Killer

Post by alicefannor » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:00 pm

I struggle to find a point in the lyrics where it's obvious that this is from a man's point of view, instead of a woman.
Anyone?

If Alice hadn't gone on about this in the press, I would have assumed it was a girl who was trying to be something she's not.

Rhapsody of Fire
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Rhapsody of Fire » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:03 pm

alicefannor wrote:I struggle to find a point in the lyrics where it's obvious that this is from a man's point of view, instead of a woman.
Anyone?

If Alice hadn't gone on about this in the press, I would have assumed it was a girl who was trying to be something she's not.
Read this:

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=43272

alicefannor
Killer
Killer

Post by alicefannor » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:26 pm

thanks for the link, but again, no explanation is given.

The lines quoted by Alice there could just as well have been from a woman.

furthermore about the lyrics; what's a "MAC disgrace"?

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:14 pm

MAC is a make-up brand so it's a continuation of the previous line about smeared make-up.

And yes I would argue that if you just look at the lyrics themself the character singing can be a woman (cis or trans), a man, neither or in between. In the end of the day if one believes in "the death of the author" (only the art itself matters not what the artist says about it) then you are free to interpret the song in any way you like.
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."

Rhapsody of Fire
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Rhapsody of Fire » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:01 pm

Swinger wrote:MAC is a make-up brand so it's a continuation of the previous line about smeared make-up.

And yes I would argue that if you just look at the lyrics themself the character singing can be a woman (cis or trans), a man, neither or in between. In the end of the day if one believes in "the death of the author" (only the art itself matters not what the artist says about it) then you are free to interpret the song in any way you like.

By the way, MAC is a great make-up brand, not tested on animals. Great stuff. Like you said, it's up to every fans to interpret the song, as they want. I've never questioned myself about ''The saga of Jesse Jane'', but this one, GAG, :vomit:

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:18 pm

Well, From my POV since it was Alice singing, it was always "Tongue In Cheek" humor & a nod to the LGBT community. Why shouldn't AC be all inclusive - after all he took a girls moniker nearly 50 years ago!! After the line in BML & the answer "Oh, you wouldn't really understand." Why can't ACG & Alice be at the forefront of a (yet another) trend? The lyrics were left ambiguous on purpose! Sorry if the language barrier is a problem. We're here to help you through that! :alice:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:17 am

dadascot wrote:The minute Alice sings!

Of course. I can't believe some people are confused about the song. Alice Cooper is a man with a girls name. Initially people thought Alice Cooper was a girl. Now Alice Cooper the guy actually becomes a girl via a re-worked Neal Smith song.

Rhapsody of Fire
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Rhapsody of Fire » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:38 am

Daggers & Contracts wrote:Well, From my POV since it was Alice singing, it was always "Tongue In Cheek" humor & a nod to the LGBT community. Why shouldn't AC be all inclusive - after all he took a girls moniker nearly 50 years ago!! After the line in BML & the answer "Oh, you wouldn't really understand." Why can't ACG & Alice be at the forefront of a (yet another) trend? The lyrics were left ambiguous on purpose! Sorry if the language barrier is a problem. We're here to help you through that! :alice:
I don't understand all this ''Tongue in Cheek'' humor and it's not a question of language barrier. I guess that I should stick with the ''Edgar Allan Poe'' songs, that's what I like, they are so beautiful.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:54 am

Rhapsody of Fire wrote:
Daggers & Contracts wrote:Well, From my POV since it was Alice singing, it was always "Tongue In Cheek" humor & a nod to the LGBT community. Why shouldn't AC be all inclusive - after all he took a girls moniker nearly 50 years ago!! After the line in BML & the answer "Oh, you wouldn't really understand." Why can't ACG & Alice be at the forefront of a (yet another) trend? The lyrics were left ambiguous on purpose! Sorry if the language barrier is a problem. We're here to help you through that! :alice:
I don't understand all this ''Tongue in Cheek'' humor and it's not a question of language barrier. I guess that I should stick with the ''Edgar Allan Poe'' songs, that's what I like, they are so beautiful.

A 69 year old man singing about painting his nails and doing his make up is pretty funny. If you close your eyes you can see Alice all Baby Jane like strutting his stuff on the dance floor.

Rhapsody of Fire
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Rhapsody of Fire » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:05 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Rhapsody of Fire wrote:

A 69 year old man singing about painting his nails and doing his make up is pretty funny. If you close your eyes you can see Alice all Baby Jane like strutting his stuff on the dance floor.
I kissed a girl and I liked it...

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:39 am

The history of Alice bending the gender lines is quite evident throughout his discography....and tend to be the best songs (imho).....songs like "Never Been Sold Before" dealing with male prostitution, "King Of The Silver Screen" is a fantastic "coming out" song...."Prettiest Cop On The Block" is positively GORGEOUS!

"Saga Of Jesse Jane" is just great storytelling...

"Genuine American Girl".....again, great writing and storytelling.

Enjoy!!
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

Rhapsody of Fire
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Rhapsody of Fire » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:24 am

GailsFriend wrote:The history of Alice bending the gender lines is quite evident throughout his discography....and tend to be the best songs (imho).....songs like "Never Been Sold Before" dealing with male prostitution, "King Of The Silver Screen" is a fantastic "coming out" song...."Prettiest Cop On The Block" is positively GORGEOUS!

"Saga Of Jesse Jane" is just great storytelling...

"Genuine American Girl".....again, great writing and storytelling.

Enjoy!!
Also, I would say Mary-Ann, short song, you hear like a ballad to a girl, and then it finish with those lyrics, I thought you were my man. Total surprise.
Clever and brilliant.

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:19 pm

the genius of this song is that there is nothing to state it outright [to ma anyways]. any female singer could cover this and make it a legitimate anthem, but Alice singing it make it the twisted little humourous gem it is.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:30 pm

The bit I don't get is the reference to the 'girl' having "bleach blonde curls". That immediately means it's not about Alice mocking himself.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:34 pm

Genuine American Girl is this weeks coolest song in the world on Little Steven's Underground Garage. It will get a lot of play on his station this week.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:08 am

revinkevin wrote:Genuine American Girl is this weeks coolest song in the world on Little Steven's Underground Garage. It will get a lot of play on his station this week.

Very nice!!

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:51 pm

The issue isn't the lyrical content, the issue for me is I don't think it is that great of a song and neither is You and All Your Friends. I found both original band songs underwhelming, just my own personal opinion. There are several other songs on the album I like better such as Fireball and The Sound of A.