Our friend, Baz

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Our friend, Baz

Post by Dannorama » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:13 pm

We have lost a good man. Baz Howes has passed away.

You all know him as Baz. His thirteen year, six-coin status on this forum smartly earned him the coveted title of Gaye Blade. It is a fitting tribute to his genuine good nature and hearty sense of humor. His presence here was always positive, and he will be sorely missed.

Baz lives on in the hearts of his friends. His dedication to laughter, generosity, and good will are overshadowed by his love and devotion to his friend, soul mate, and bride, Jill. She wants you all to know how much she and Baz enjoyed meeting up with all of you Sickthings at the pubs and going to the gigs.

Personally speaking, I got to know Baz as the result of us both being members of this forum. He contacted me in 2005, and our friendship began. He got me quickly addicted to the pleasures of exchanging fridge magnets. His favorite thing to do was to promote his beloved West Yorkshire in every way possible. Fiercely loyal, he often said that Yorkshire was God's own country. He taught me some of his favorite colloquialisms from the area, and I returned the favor with a dose of good old American slang. We met in 2008 when he and Jill flew over for a wonderful visit. It was a marvelous trip, and we made the most of each moment. We even met up with fellow Sickthing Mr. D in Gatlinburg, Tennessee for a once in a lifetime experience.

My family and I send all of our love and sincere empathy to Jill and her family. I say "empathy," because the last thing Baz would want is "sympathy." We feel their loss, and I am sure that many of you do, too.

So, please join me in salute to this fabulous man, Baz.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Our friend, Baz

Post by Si » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:27 pm

Well said Danno. I know that was hard to write and thank you for doing it.
Some of the newer people here might not know Baz, as his situation prevented him from being as involved in recent years as had been in the past, but he was one of the originals on the forums when we first started them, and his self-deprecating and unique sense of humour made him many friends here. I hope some will relate some of those stories here.
Baz and Jill opened their home to Jenn and I several times, not for anything Alice related but just to hang out, see the sights and walk the Yorkshire hills. Good times.
I remember when he first became ill we stopped by the hospital while traveling on tour. We brought him a card, signed by Alice (I think) and the whole band with their best wishes. He was blown away, but it was a small thing to do. He was a huge music fan, especially Alice of course, but also southern rock especially. I remember us driving somewhere with him singing along to Molly Hatchet, the Yorkshire man with a southern heart.
Lots of memories...

Baz was a good man. In trying to think what to say I kept coming back to that simple thing. The world needs more of them.

Safe travels my friend...

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:35 pm

Very sad to hear of your loss.

x

MrD Returns
Killer
Killer

Post by MrD Returns » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:00 pm

MY heart dropped yesterday morning when Danno told me the news. I considered Baz not only my friend but one of my best friends. We got to know each other here on the forum when he found out that I'm from Alabama. He was very interested in any thing Southern. I'll never forget one of his first pm's to me asking..."what the bloody hell is grits?" After many questions about such intriguing subjects as corn bread and SEC football I told him that if he and Jill ever wanted to see an real southern football game just come on to Alabama and I'll take ya'll. So in October of 06 they did just that. They spent an entire week with us and we just had the best time spending that week with our new friends from across the pond. Sharon cooked for them almost every night, we had black-eyes peas and corn bread, fried chicken, collard greens , grits with biscuits and sausage gravy and one special day we had a bar-b-q where I smoked 4 giant racks of pork ribs. We even had one of our Cajun friends come over and make gumbo and jambalaya for them. We took them to the Jack Daniels distillery in Lynchburg TN, to Little River Canyon and to an Alabama football game. It was and still is one of the best times I've ever had.
A couple of years later is when we met up again in Gatlinburg TN with Danno of which he spoke of earlier.
I cant add much to what Danno said about Baz. One of the truest hearts and best senses of humor I've ever known. Always in good spirits whenever we got together on line. But I think some of the best times were right here on this forum. Especially when we were making fun of Shoesalesman and doing everything in our power to make Sparky laugh so hard that whatever beverage she was drinking at the time come out of her nose.
I'll sorely miss the old limey bastard.
When I die I hope I'm surrounded by burning gas and shattered chrome.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:11 pm

MrD Returns wrote:But I think some of the best times were right here on this forum. Especially when we were making fun of Shoesalesman and doing everything in our power to make Sparky laugh so hard that whatever beverage she was drinking at the time come out of her nose.
Agreed, MrD. This is where I remember him the most. He was one of the first members to welcome me on STUK when I joined in May 2005, and a wad of us got thick (and stoopid haha) over the years. Some of the best times were in Sickthings Sing, where we parodied Alice's songs and ribbed each other in made-up lyrics. Many weren't politically correct to today's standards, some down right questionable, but all were from the heart. To show the type of friend he was, he typed every single one of those jingles out and put them in a calendar for me. I believe the Sings thread is still there in Fun & Games... and those gems would be waaaay back in the fold.

Although I'd never met him in person, we exchanged mail many times, and he sent me many personal *appendages* that really didn't surprise me. A toenail. What I thought was sea moss that wasn't. A pair of rubber underwear. A picture of his face superimposed on Danny DeVito's body (poor Danny). Times when I needed a laugh and an appreciation of what a great friend could be... he was there. And IS there still.

Thoughts and well-wishes to his family, to Jill, to those who were close to him. Baz is an unselfish guy, the true definition of someone who'd look to get the best out of a situation for you before him.

I'll see you in every mug I raise, pal. Cheers!! :drink:
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Voodoo Revolution
Killer
Killer

Post by Voodoo Revolution » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:12 pm

I am so saddened to hear this. While I never had the pleasure of meeting him personally, I have had interactions with him on this forum over the years and, to a lesser extent, MySpace (yep!). He always had a wicked sense of humour and I know he is going to be deeply missed.

I'm not quite sure what else to say as I am at a loss for words after hearing this news....

Rock on, Baz!

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:48 pm

My sincerest sympathies to his wife and those who knew and loved him. RIP, Sir.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

moonshadow
Dada God
Dada God

Post by moonshadow » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:12 pm

Such sad news, My love to all that know and love Baz. Farewell Baz, thanks for all the Tull cd's. Your sense of humour is immense, certainly off the wall at times! Look after those Dales for us Baz. Moonie.X
You've got to trust your dreamers heart
Nobody else will tell you when you fall apart.

Rhapsody of Fire
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Rhapsody of Fire » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:06 pm

Sorry for your loss.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:03 am

Si wrote:Well said Danno. I know that was hard to write and thank you for doing it.
Some of the newer people here might not know Baz, as his situation prevented him from being as involved in recent years as had been in the past, but he was one of the originals on the forums when we first started them, and his self-deprecating and unique sense of humour made him many friends here. I hope some will relate some of those stories here.
Baz and Jill opened their home to Jenn and I several times, not for anything Alice related but just to hang out, see the sights and walk the Yorkshire hills. Good times.
I remember when he first became ill we stopped by the hospital while traveling on tour. We brought him a card, signed by Alice (I think) and the whole band with their best wishes. He was blown away, but it was a small thing to do. He was a huge music fan, especially Alice of course, but also southern rock especially. I remember us driving somewhere with him singing along to Molly Hatchet, the Yorkshire man with a southern heart.
Lots of memories...

Baz was a good man. In trying to think what to say I kept coming back to that simple thing. The world needs more of them.

Safe travels my friend...

Well said, Si. Baz was definitely a good man. Sad day indeed.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:19 am

Seemed like a good bloke. RIP.

MVS 1009
Trash
Trash

Post by MVS 1009 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:39 am

When I joined here many years ago I exchanged quite a few posts with Baz. Always found him very warm, friendly and he had a wonderful sense of humour. My condolences to his wife and family. R.I.P.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:22 pm

In case anyone wishes to attend or send something, Jill has asked me to pass on the following:
Baz's funeral will take place on Sept 14th at 1pm at Alford Crematorium, Station Road, Alford, LN13 9LH.

alienspice
Killer
Killer

Post by alienspice » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:00 am

I've been gone for ages but I recently saw the news on FB and wanted to come here and pay my respects.
Baz was such a funny guy, and is a huge part of my fondest memories of all night "fun and games" on the forum back in the day. My heart goes out to his family and those who knew him personally who will feel this loss most deeply.
xoxo
spice
you look like you'd fit in the trunk of my car

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:00 pm

Sorry to hear this...Thoughts and prayers to his Family and Friends.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

lattss
Killer
Killer

Post by lattss » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:28 pm

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. I don't post on this board much at all, but I have been coming here and reading for years. I did want to express my condolences though.

I think it is amazing how great music (especially Alice!) can bring people together and form great friendships. I loved reading your stories. These memories will always be special.

Baz
Gaye Blade
Gaye Blade

Post by Baz » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:55 pm

Just wanted to thank everyone who has posted about my wonderful husband Baz your tributes were very touching and heartfelt it makes me so very proud how well thought of he was Thanks again Jill xx
I`m one of the `Over 50`s `.