No more (love at ur conveveince)

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

mr.barlow

Re: No more (love at ur conveveince)

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:49 am

Si--FANTASTIC post!!

To me NMLAYC is the only real embarrassment in Alice's career. Just stunningly awful! I know Alice has tried to play it off as a "joke" or "parody" over the years but I think that is just a cover story.

Wagner mentions in his book that "You & Me" was born out of the middle section of the original version of NMLAYC. He stated that Ezrin did not like the original version. He does not mention anything about the creation of the version heard on the record.

It's always been my guess that WB pressured Alice and Ezrin to include a disco-ish hit on the album. This would also make sense at it was likely some morons at the label that chose it to be a single.

If I were a fan who came on board in 1971 and heard this song, it would have been enough to make me jump ship! It's THAT bad!

I still think that during the L&W debacle Alice's main goal was to try and get a tv variety show, which were all the rage in the USA at the time.

The good thing about NMLAYC is that fact that it is so awful it's fantastic. I laugh every time I hear it and always say to myself "what the hell were they thinking"?

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:12 am

What the hell were they drinking/snorting more like it. No doubt Alice's ego was being fed by Ezrin and Shep telling him how great he was and how he could write anything in any genre and how he was such a talented superstar. Crap song for Mothers: You and Me. Country pie for Tanya Tucker: Damnned If You Do. Disco Alice for Raquel: No More Love at Your Conveveince. It's an abortion of an album for all concerned and NMLAYC sounds like something Dorothy from The Golden Girls might record if she was making an album.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:47 am

The video reminds me of something that the Captain & Tenille would have done on their awful variety show.

It should be used in commercials for substance abuse prevention. The commercial can start with "this is your mind" and show Alice singing "My Stars" and then say "this is your mind on drugs" and play the NMLAYC video.

I will say that I don't find the L&W album all that dreadful and some of it has grown on me over the years, as have a few skin tags. It did give us Road Rats and King of The Silver Screen.

NMLAYC could have been used for blackmail. "pay me one million dollars or I will release this song to radio stations!". I guess Alice didn't have that money to pay them at the time!

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:14 am

Those four consecutive solo ballads just stunk. Insipid stuff apart from OWB Which was a bit groundbreaking at the time with that title. They seemed to fare much better in the US than the UK. If you make a singles comp that lot just drag it down after the classic 45's.

Clones could and should have been massive if Warner had got behind it. Had hit written all over it.

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:26 am

Daggers & Contracts wrote:
Mr.Bluelegs wrote:To quote SI, "While he certainly shed fans from WTMN onwards, I think the real fall was Flush the Fashion, the change of image and sound, and the complete lack of promotion from Warners who didn`t care anymore and were just sitting out the contract. Sure, FTF has it's moments, but it doesn`t sound like anything that came before, so not only had he lost a percentage of fans with each album following WTMN (as the band fans who held out hope of a stylistic return slowly realised it wasn`t going to happen) but he then alienated another large percentage of the latter "Hollywood" fans with Flush, if they even knew it was out!

While I know many fans love the early 80s Alice (FTF-Dada), and I like the albums as well, the majority didn't. The original band fans had mostly long given up. The latter 70s fanbase didn't like the new sound either. The press generally slammed them as well, and the record company didn't care. There ARE gems in there but they don`t stand up to the 70s albums, with the exception of Dada, which if released after 'From The Inside' I think would have got a far higher profile, as it's closer to that album then the three that actually proceeded it.

So to get back to the point (sorry for the waffle)... I think 'no more love...' was just Alice doing what he was doing at that time. Aiming for the mainstream. It's an okay track but no, it wasn`t the start of the fall. That was WTMN in many ways, and the final nail was 'Flush the fashion'."
Great post, SI. I remember when Flush was released Circus Mag called it "his most blistering album since Killer". Alice tried to drastically reinvent himself, but, unlike Bowie with his late '70's albums, the critics didn't applaud it. If the album came out in '78 or '79 during the ascension of punk/ new wave, it might have been better-received. I'm in the category of original fans who enjoyed the change of style. I loved the album, but not as much as FTI. It did chart higher in the USA than FTI, and "Clones" was a minor hit. I also enjoyed SF, Zipper, & Da Da. But I agree that his run of '70's albums is spectacular.
I have FTI & FTF w/a couple of relative singles - "Because" & "No Tricks" on a CD in the car changer. NML was a decent track on L & W but I don't have an 8 - Track player in the car anymore. It did sound good crusing w/a few beers back in the day though![/quote]

"No Tricks", the b-side to "How You Gonna See Me Now", was a great tune and should have been on the album. I also remember the days of cruising with the 8 track and beer!

andyrushworth
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by andyrushworth » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:58 pm

As for the critics applauding Bowie's late 70s albums that isn't true they hated them it was the fans that loved the Bowie albums , the critics pretty much ate humble pie as those albums gained enormous public appeal .

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:47 pm

This is hard for me to say, as I pride myself in recognising that all views are subjective. NMLAYC is a pile of steaming crap and is even worse than Ubangi Stomp.
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:25 pm

recoop wrote:This is hard for me to say, as I pride myself in recognising that all views are subjective. NMLAYC is a pile of steaming crap and is even worse than Ubangi Stomp.
That is simply not possible

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:37 pm

Si wrote:
recoop wrote:This is hard for me to say, as I pride myself in recognising that all views are subjective. NMLAYC is a pile of steaming crap and is even worse than Ubangi Stomp.
Ha..I thought you would have to say something.. One man's Ubangi Stomp is another man's NMLAYC (or public convenience as I call it). To have one atrocious song on the album is bad enough but to have two (and three if one includes Damned if you diddly do) is unforgivable.

Imagine if they had made a video to Ubangi with Alice dancing in a teddy boy outfit- now that would have been shocking.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:43 pm

he did come close to it with the dancing Chickens :/
you really wouldn't understand..

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:22 pm

recoop wrote:
Si wrote:
Ha..I thought you would have to say something.. One man's Ubangi Stomp is another man's NMLAYC (or public convenience as I call it). To have one atrocious song on the album is bad enough but to have two (and three if one includes Damned if you diddly do) is unforgivable.

Imagine if they had made a video to Ubangi with Alice dancing in a teddy boy outfit- now that would have been shocking.

One of the worst rave ups om the history of rock. Makes Shakin Stevens sound edgy.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:51 am

Here's a new upload of the video on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd5gvT_j910

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:32 am

SickThings wrote:Here's a new upload of the video on YouTube:

Now we know why KISS took the throne from him during this era!!

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:13 pm

Devon wrote:

Now we know why KISS took the throne from him during this era!!
I think Kiss had solidified this the year before in 1976 with Destroyer- pity Alice couldn't have stopped Bob Ezrin producing lol

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:26 am

What a waste of time & videotape. Never saw it & sorry I just did. Thankfully S. Crayn posted a dubbed version of "Hello Hooray" that smoothed it out. :8):
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...