New album sales

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: New album sales

Post by revinkevin » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:21 pm

I'm not seeing Alice on the billboard charts in the US. What am I missing ?

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:47 pm

He's still banned in the outer Hebrides! In fact they have a wicker man in his image!

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:40 pm

dadascot wrote:He's still banned in the outer Hebrides! In fact they have a wicker man in his image!

Now that I'd pay to see!!

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:48 pm

revinkevin wrote:I'm not seeing Alice on the billboard charts in the US. What am I missing ?
I believe, if I am not mistaken, the official U.S.charts are announced to the public on Tuesdays. The record label apparently got the numbers early.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:53 pm

Has the album broken 15,000 in World sales yet?

Somwhere In Auckland
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Somwhere In Auckland » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:10 pm

cooperrocks wrote:
revinkevin wrote:I'm not seeing Alice on the billboard charts in the US. What am I missing ?
I believe, if I am not mistaken, the official U.S.charts are announced to the public on Tuesdays. The record label apparently got the numbers early.
Yeah it will be updated Tomorrow and looking at that earmusic post it will be #32 unless something changed

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:30 pm

Although conditioning has me interested in the US chart position, I really like the album whatever the position. Somehow this album has been made catchy and full of hooks. Reminds me of a music paper's review of a Macca single along the lines of " there are so many hooks on this record it makes your hands bleed when you pick it up". Perhaps Alice has called Paul for advice :)
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

Somwhere In Auckland
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Somwhere In Auckland » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:39 pm

Officialy 32 in the USA and 17 canada

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:09 am

I honestly thought it would debut higher than 32. I'd bet that 32 will be its peak position since the entire industry has changed and it's rare to see an album "climb" the charts these days. I'm sure someone posted (and I missed) the USA sales. If I'm not mistaken, didn't W2MN debut in the top 20?

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:04 am

Mr.Bluelegs wrote:I honestly thought it would debut higher than 32. I'd bet that 32 will be its peak position since the entire industry has changed and it's rare to see an album "climb" the charts these days. I'm sure someone posted (and I missed) the USA sales. If I'm not mistaken, didn't W2MN debut in the top 20?
I'm pretty sure w2mn went in at #22 in the USA

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:59 pm

Although sales figures may be woeful (compared to the past), the charts do still act as a symbol of where an artist retains greatest popularity.

Top 10
Australia
Austria
Czech Republic
Finland
Germany
Sweden
UK

Top 20
Belgium
Canada
Greece
Norway

Top 30
The Netherlands

I would imagine the AC camp are rather disappointed by the US position.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:14 pm

My take is this on the Number 32 position in the United States (And this is speculation on my part). One, I don't think Number 32 is that bad, but I definitely expected around a 16-20 spot in the United States. Here is what stands out to me:

1) The first week, Paranormal sold very well (by today's standards) in terms of physical sales and for rock albums. One, it makes a statement on how many people are listening to and buying rock music and it also frankly says something about the age of many of us, lol (no disrespect intended). As Alice fans many of us went out and either bought the album in a store or through Amazon (where the album did well). But where Alice didn't do well is with the downloads, I-tunes, etc. That tells me most of us are old school and still like owning a physical product but we are in the minority in terms of the music buying (or stealing in the case of some people) public.
2) I do think it hurt that the album at least in my area was not available at places like Walmart or Target. I don't know how much of a difference that would make in terms of sales, but a lot of areas no longer have regular music stores and as hard as it is to believe, some people don't buy music through amazon or online at all.
3)I do wonder if perhaps releasing an actual music video would have helped a little as well. I am not sure how many people want to watch the lyric videos though I think Earmusic is doing a better job than any label Alice has been associated with in years.
4) I also think that perhaps if Alice and this isn't meant as a criticism, but if he had started pushing the album a little bit in terms of playing a new song before recently and giving some kind of mention about the upcoming album (at the time)may have helped.

VinceLeeRose
Killer
Killer

Post by VinceLeeRose » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:53 pm

I remember W2MN debuted at 22 and I think sold 22,000 the first week of sales. There was a lot of promotion with that one. I was at the Universal Halloween Horror Nights that year and they were playing cuts from the album on the escalators while Alice had prerecorded safety tips in between songs for the theme park lol

I don't remember as much emphasis on the ACG songs though. Hoping they do the pudding this year!

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:51 pm

VinceLeeRose wrote:I remember W2MN debuted at 22 and I think sold 22,000 the first week of sales. There was a lot of promotion with that one. I was at the Universal Halloween Horror Nights that year and they were playing cuts from the album on the escalators while Alice had prerecorded safety tips in between songs for the theme park lol

I don't remember as much emphasis on the ACG songs though. Hoping they do the pudding this year!

The Alice maze was the best of the lot that year.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:54 pm

cooperrocks wrote:My take is this on the Number 32 position in the United States (And this is speculation on my part). One, I don't think Number 32 is that bad, but I definitely expected around a 16-20 spot in the United States. Here is what stands out to me:

1) The first week, Paranormal sold very well (by today's standards) in terms of physical sales and for rock albums. One, it makes a statement on how many people are listening to and buying rock music and it also frankly says something about the age of many of us, lol (no disrespect intended). As Alice fans many of us went out and either bought the album in a store or through Amazon (where the album did well). But where Alice didn't do well is with the downloads, I-tunes, etc. That tells me most of us are old school and still like owning a physical product but we are in the minority in terms of the music buying (or stealing in the case of some people) public.
2) I do think it hurt that the album at least in my area was not available at places like Walmart or Target. I don't know how much of a difference that would make in terms of sales, but a lot of areas no longer have regular music stores and as hard as it is to believe, some people don't buy music through amazon or online at all.
3)I do wonder if perhaps releasing an actual music video would have helped a little as well. I am not sure how many people want to watch the lyric videos though I think Earmusic is doing a better job than any label Alice has been associated with in years.
4) I also think that perhaps if Alice and this isn't meant as a criticism, but if he had started pushing the album a little bit in terms of playing a new song before recently and giving some kind of mention about the upcoming album (at the time)may have helped.

I agree that Alice could make more of an effort pushing new product from the stage.

Spiner202
Killer
Killer

Post by Spiner202 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:41 am

Somwhere In Auckland wrote:Officialy 32 in the USA and 17 canada
Earmusic is saying #5 in Canada. Not sure which is right, but it would be great if that's true!

From their Facebook:
Switzerland: #3
Canada: #5
Czech Republic: #7

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:42 am

I can only hear two songs from Paranormal which would fit in with the current style of his live presentation, namely, Paranormal (in a truncated version) and Paranoi(a)c Personality.

It's a good record, but, live is a whole 'nother animule. Time will tell.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:12 am

Canadian charts are showing 17 I'm afraid.

Strikes me that there is still a profile here in Europe and, if anything, that it is improving a bit. Also that it is easier to push an artist here e.g. through a few key radio slots.

Alice has been on Radio 2 in the UK at least three times, twice on the Chris Evans show which gets 9 million listeners! While it hasn't resulted in major sales people have certainly been made aware of an album, it certainly helped ticket sales for the shows and no doubt helped Paranormal and PP to both rack up over 300k YouTube views so far - maybe not sales but certainly folk are listening.

Ultimately, while the pitch is "I'm only making this for the fans" there will always be "and I've got one eye on attracting some more of them". This album sets him up to do that, albeit in an ageing market, and hopefully there can be some way of keeping profile up a little longer to give it a chance to shine.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:32 pm

padre_sliprat wrote:I can only hear two songs from Paranormal which would fit in with the current style of his live presentation, namely, Paranormal (in a truncated version) and Paranoi(a)c Personality.

Wait, you mean you can't see Alice tap dancing to Holy Water?

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:55 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
padre_sliprat wrote:I can only hear two songs from Paranormal which would fit in with the current style of his live presentation, namely, Paranormal (in a truncated version) and Paranoi(a)c Personality.

Wait, you mean you can't see Alice tap dancing to Holy Water?
maybe just a little soft shoe.