New album sales

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: New album sales

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:25 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote: This has been discussed before but for most artists, sales are no longer as important as they were and why streaming figures for individual tracks are what now really matter.
I'm assuming the stats from each time I listen to them are still counted since the tracks are still restricted to the Amazon Music app's sandbox even though I downloaded the album and don't stream it. If what you said is true and streaming is what really matters, that is pretty messed up. All you people who are buying instead of streaming are actually hurting the album. :laugh:

alicefannor
Killer
Killer

Post by alicefannor » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:42 pm

# 6 in the UK is pretty neat, even though albums sales are a joke these days.

What's the final verdict on the US charts?

#4 in Germany apparently? EAR music must do a good job. Deep Purple's last album has also done well (in terms of chart positions at least!)

alicefannor
Killer
Killer

Post by alicefannor » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:45 pm

# 15 in Norway, btw...best position since Hey Stoopid

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:22 pm

#4 Australia
#6 Sweden

Best chart positions there since Trash.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:44 pm

Does anyone know why U.S. info comes in later than these other countries?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:50 pm

From Feezle-Nurs:
I'm assuming the stats from each time I listen to them are still counted since the tracks are still restricted to the Amazon Music app's sandbox even though I downloaded the album and don't stream it."

No I don't think they will be and also you can find it on Spotify and probably all the other services too.

>If what you said is true and streaming is what really matters, that is pretty messed up. All you people who are buying instead of streaming are actually hurting the album.

I don't think you've quite understood the significance of streaming as opposed to sales (whether it be downloads or physical formats).

Maaki
Killer
Killer

Post by Maaki » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:03 pm

Feezle-Nuts wrote:I'm assuming the stats from each time I listen to them are still counted since the tracks are still restricted to the Amazon Music app's sandbox even though I downloaded the album and don't stream it. If what you said is true and streaming is what really matters, that is pretty messed up. All you people who are buying instead of streaming are actually hurting the album. :laugh:
It's not messed up. It is what it is.

I stream the songs from Spotify all the time in the car. I also bought the CD as quite frankly it is a pittance. 18.95€ is about three pints in the pub in Finland.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:34 am

So, we have an album which has cracked the top 10 in several countries for the first time in over 20 years, A label which has really got behind its artist. An album which most of us think is his best in ages. A reunion mini tour in the UK and hopefully other locations which nobody could have seriously predicted a couple of years ago. A UK tour which is selling better than any for a long time, even before the reunion was announced

As Si said, let's put things in context, these are all positives and to me are fantastic actually. Don't forget, W2MN sold better than several previous outings as well so the whole thing is on the up!

In the UK @ 35,000 will go and see the 5 shows. How many 69 year old's get that? If Alice has sold even 10,000 copies by then he will likely have streamed to another 10,000 - 15,000 easily. For me it would be brilliant if he could play PP or Fireball (or any track from the album) to a crowd where most were already familiar with them and keen to hear them!

Yes, Pitkin, I know current sales are unlikely to influence a change in the setlist but it would be great to see it happen. I feel an energy with this at the moment that hasn't been there for ages.

Gonna absolutely love the next 3'months in the build up to the UK shows and to Glasgow. This year is 45 years since I first became a fan and 35 since I was at Glasgow Apollo to see him for the first time. Nobody is going to put me off with negative comments about Ezrin, ACG was better, album sales are crap nowadays. Niggle niggle niggle...this is quite simply the best year for an Alice/ACG fan for decades...enjoy it while you can folks as it certainly will not last much longer!!

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:29 am

del wrote:So, we have an album which has cracked the top 10 in several countries for the first time in over 20 years, A label which has really got behind its artist. An album which most of us think is his best in ages. A reunion mini tour in the UK and hopefully other locations which nobody could have seriously predicted a couple of years ago. A UK tour which is selling better than any for a long time, even before the reunion was announced

As Si said, let's put things in context, these are all positives and to me are fantastic actually. Don't forget, W2MN sold better than several previous outings as well so the whole thing is on the up!

In the UK @ 35,000 will go and see the 5 shows. How many 69 year old's get that? If Alice has sold even 10,000 copies by then he will likely have streamed to another 10,000 - 15,000 easily. For me it would be brilliant if he could play PP or Fireball (or any track from the album) to a crowd where most were already familiar with them and keen to hear them!

Yes, Pitkin, I know current sales are unlikely to influence a change in the setlist but it would be great to see it happen. I feel an energy with this at the moment that hasn't been there for ages.

Gonna absolutely love the next 3'months in the build up to the UK shows and to Glasgow. This year is 45 years since I first became a fan and 35 since I was at Glasgow Apollo to see him for the first time. Nobody is going to put me off with negative comments about Ezrin, ACG was better, album sales are crap nowadays. Niggle niggle niggle...this is quite simply the best year for an Alice/ACG fan for decades...enjoy it while you can folks as it certainly will not last much longer!!
Hear hear. My first Alice was the same Apollo gig. In fact my mate who was with me that magical night is coming to novembers show and it will be his second Alice gig. I think the success of this album will have an impact on the set list. I remember the review of the glasgow trash gig where the reviewer said the biggest difference was the feeling of success. Ok SALES are down, as they are for every artist but as SI pointed out, downloads etc, but surely most people going to the concerts will know the new album, even (before certain people start screaming) 'casual fans' will get the album before going. Great time to be an Alice fan.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:18 am

Sure is! Was about to get married 35 yrs ago and took my fiancée to the Apollo, she was as stunned by the fans as she was by the show. She will be there this year too. I've worked hard on her over the years, never became a big fan but loves the shows and is still amazed by some of the fans. My brother's mate's father used to own the Apollo and he told stories about the atmosphere that night. Said it was incredible even by Apollo standards.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:49 am

I remember the review (Sunday Mail I believe) said it was more like a religious event than a gig! We dogged school to go and buy the tickets, couldn't believe the queue when we got there. Anyway back to the main point, at the very least there will be a few more songs then there has been off the last two albums.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:14 pm

dadascot wrote:
del wrote:So, we have an album which has cracked the top 10 in several countries for the first time in over 20 years, A label which has really got behind its artist. An album which most of us think is his best in ages. A reunion mini tour in the UK and hopefully other locations which nobody could have seriously predicted a couple of years ago. A UK tour which is selling better than any for a long time, even before the reunion was announced

Hear hear. My first Alice was the same Apollo gig. In fact my mate who was with me that magical night is coming to novembers show and it will be his second Alice gig. I think the success of this album will have an impact on the set list. I remember the review of the glasgow trash gig where the reviewer said the biggest difference was the feeling of success. Ok SALES are down, as they are for every artist but as SI pointed out, downloads etc, but surely most people going to the concerts will know the new album, even (before certain people start screaming) 'casual fans' will get the album before going. Great time to be an Alice fan.

Most people will know the new album? You've been reading too much Keith.

jram
Killer
Killer

Post by jram » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:15 pm

KeithGale wrote:This is the current midweek update for the UK album chart, bear in mind Alice could drop by Friday or even go up!!!

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/al ... rt-update/
Currently placed at #3

alicefannor
Killer
Killer

Post by alicefannor » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:43 pm

jram wrote:
KeithGale wrote:This is the current midweek update for the UK album chart, bear in mind Alice could drop by Friday or even go up!!!

Currently placed at #3
that's quite something, actually.
Usually with the likes of Alice, it goes in at a decent (if you're lucky :) ) position, then disappears in the second week.
If he manages to stay in the top 10 for two weeks that's pretty special. At least considering how the last 25 years have been in terms of his chart position.

Hopefully this bodes well for a new live dvd, recorded on the upcoming UK tour!!!

Maaki
Killer
Killer

Post by Maaki » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:41 am

Paranormal debuted at #9 in Finnish official chart.

Link in Finnish, sorry that part of the site does not seem to be in English. Which is baffling to be honest, but it is what it is. Or alternatively I just failed to find the English list.

http://www.ifpi.fi/tilastot/virallinen- ... it/2017/31

BrianRS
Trash
Trash

Post by BrianRS » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:21 am

No 3 in the UK was the midweek position for the week ending August 4th. The official UK album position when the UK chart was published on Friday evening was No 6. Still pretty good though.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:59 pm

alicefannor wrote:
jram wrote:

Currently placed at #3
that's quite something, actually.
Usually with the likes of Alice, it goes in at a decent (if you're lucky :) ) position, then disappears in the second week.
If he manages to stay in the top 10 for two weeks that's pretty special. At least considering how the last 25 years have been in terms of his chart position.

Hopefully this bodes well for a new live dvd, recorded on the upcoming UK tour!!!
Actually this is common with most veteran hard rock acts in the last several years. They will have a decent opening week chart wise and then drop rapidly. It is the way the music business is these days.

Somwhere In Auckland
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Somwhere In Auckland » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:59 pm

Alice Cooper's new album "Paranormal" reached great chart positions all over the world!

- Germany: #4 (highest chart entry in 45 years since the classic “School’s Out”)
- Australia: #4 (highest chart entry in 39 years).
- Belgium: #5
- UK: #6 (highest chart entry in 23 years) / #1 Rock Charts #1 independent Charts
- Sweden: #6 (highest charts entry in 28 years since the smash hit album “Trash” in 1989)
- Finland: #9 (best charts entry ever) #1 physical album sales
- USA: #6 current album charts (#32 Billboard 200, #1 Hard Music Albums, #3 Current Physical)

On release date, “Paranormal” climbed the iTunes rock charts at #1 in 12 countries and the Top5 in 20 countries.

Thank you all for your support!

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:31 pm

UK midweek chart is showing it at 22 now.

Will no doubt fall a little further but at least it means a few thousand more folk have gone out and bought it. A few years ago a debut at 22 would have been cause for a minor celebration.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:10 pm

Are there any figures in yet for Gibraltar or The Outer Hebridies?