Alice's Voice

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

tommycooper
Trash
Trash

Alice's Voice

Post by tommycooper » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:13 pm

Just seen footage of Liam Gallacher wandering off stage at a festival gig moaning that he'd lost his voice/ got a sore throat. For me, that's a result....but it did get me thinking about the number of singers who have to cut short gigs and tours because of voice "problems".
How come Alice is able, year after year, gig after gig, to keep delivering when his tour schedule seems to be far more punishing than singers a third his age? No matter how fit he keeps himself, surely he can't be immune from sore throats, viruses or infections which seem to floor others?

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Alice's Voice

Post by SickThings » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:36 pm

He's not. He soldiers on. Over 50+ years of singing, he's learned how to deal with it.

In 2010, he had a really bad case of laryngitis. I saw him in Kettering, OH, and was amazed that you could barely tell it during his show. I'd half-expected the show to be canceled because it. He sounded rough at times, but it was still a great performance. When he appeared on UK TV shows a couple of weeks later, he could barely talk. Yet he managed to perform those shows, too.

He does seem to have a remarkable immune system, because I'd think he'd be sick all the time from the punishing schedule, meeting and shaking hands with so many people, etc.

Hunter

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:49 pm

I tried to post this earlier so if a double reply-sorry.

To the original post- I have heard Alice, once or twice, be suffering from a croaky throat whilst performing (via youtube). Once when he was a drinker and once when not. I think that fact that he does not drink alcohol is a big plus in that his throat will not dry out in the same way as a drinker. Someone having a drink to calm their nerves might find that their voice suffers. Delicate moisture balance needed in throat area for singers. Wider effects of dehydration, inflammation and hampering immune system especially as the singer gets older
( Alice does seem to be doing ok as he ages -probably a faustian pact in the 1970s lol)
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:08 pm

SickThings wrote:He's not. He soldiers on. Over 50+ years of singing, he's learned how to deal with it.

In 2010, he had a really bad case of laryngitis. I saw him in Kettering, OH, and was amazed that you could barely tell it during his show. I'd half-expected the show to be canceled because it. He sounded rough at times, but it was still a great performance. When he appeared on UK TV shows a couple of weeks later, he could barely talk. Yet he managed to perform those shows, too.

He does seem to have a remarkable immune system, because I'd think he'd be sick all the time from the punishing schedule, meeting and shaking hands with so many people, etc.

Hunter
I've seen shows when his voice has been less then perfect, once or twice it's been almost shot. I remember one time in, I think, Glasgow when it was completely shot and seem to remember he maybe actually broke character for a second and said he would need help? The show was still amazing as the audience just carried him along (as you would expect in Glasgow haha). Two nights later he was okay(ish) again.
Of course there is also the Trash era awards show when his voice was shot as well... That was baaad.
So it does happen. I think he just gets on with it and does the best he can rather then cancel the show and disappoint people.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:30 pm

Before I go on stage I do about a twenty minute voice warm up..it amazes me the amount of younger actors I work with who don't do any or go and have a fag instead! I'm sure Alice does a full vocal warm up before every show! I wonder if he has a voice coach?

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:41 pm

Second attmept at posting this one as well-gremlins tonight-seems to block out if someone else typing/posting

So, Si which Glasgow gig was that?

I saw him on SF tour 82 in Glasgow- a bit growly voiced. The crowd seemed high on being there (or high on something)and were in full support. From memory, I was upstairs beside a load of lairy Iron Maiden fans and we were all standing on the heads of the seats. The whole row of seats seemed to be swaying back and forth. Most of the rows seemed to be doing this but luckily none collapsed. Glasgow likes a wild party!

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:45 pm

For anybody interested this link is about the effects of alcohol on the voice. I used to counsel people with alcohol problems so I retain links of this sort.

http://www.jeanniedeva.com/singers-alcohol

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:20 pm

recoop wrote: So, Si which Glasgow gig was that?
DT maybe? I can`t remember exactly. Somewhere around there I think.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:45 pm

From Si:
"DT maybe? I can`t remember exactly. Somewhere around there I think."

It did happen in either on both legs of that tour, I think.

homerx
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by homerx » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:39 pm

The childhood story of nearly dying made him stronger I'd suspect.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:42 pm

as far as i remember : at the beginning of Trashes the world he's voice is not perfect and also in the show at Basel he was not 100%
so it does happen. Human after all, isn't he :alice: !
you really wouldn't understand..

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:48 pm

I wrote:
"It did happen in either on both legs of that tour, I think."

That should be "It did happen on both legs of that tour, with Manchester being at least one place, I think."

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:50 pm

From Patrick:
"at the beginning of Trashes the world he's voice is not perfect"

He did indeed have a cold before that show.

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Lucius Morthem » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:11 pm

Well, he got a stomach flu at the beggining of the South American tour, He couldn't even move.

Chile got cancelled... lucky me, right?

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:22 pm

dadascot wrote:Before I go on stage I do about a twenty minute voice warm up..it amazes me the amount of younger actors I work with who don't do any or go and have a fag instead! I'm sure Alice does a full vocal warm up before every show! I wonder if he has a voice coach?
I don't believe he does much/any warm up.
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:38 pm

I like to attribute his and Dennis' extended youthfulness to all the long distance running early in life. Being non-smokers is definitely a plus.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:16 am

NotSoPerfect wrote:
dadascot wrote:Before I go on stage I do about a twenty minute voice warm up..it amazes me the amount of younger actors I work with who don't do any or go and have a fag instead! I'm sure Alice does a full vocal warm up before every show! I wonder if he has a voice coach?
I think you're right. I'm pretty sure there is little if none at all.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:17 am

His voice is too ugly to attract germs

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:58 am

mr.barlow wrote:
NotSoPerfect wrote:
I think you're right. I'm pretty sure there is little if none at all.
Why do you think that? I've never worked with a singer that didn't do a vocal warm up! Actors yes, singers no!