Am I The Only One Who Liked W2MN?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Am I The Only One Who Liked W2MN?

Post by cooperrocks » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:27 pm

I realize everything is subjective but I regularly see fans complain about the W2MN album. I like Paranormal a lot but I have to say I like W2MN even more. I always thought it compared more to the comedy on GTH than the original WTMN but I thought it was a fun album with good songs and I like Ezrin's production on that one a lot better than Paranormal.

Freeze
Trash
Trash

Re: Am I The Only One Who Liked W2MN?

Post by Freeze » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:43 pm

I like W2MN alot too , and rank it quite high on my favorite AC album list. To me it was easily the best album since The Last Temptation , maybe even DaDa. As for Paranormal, I need to listen it more, but so far it doesn't top W2MN for me. Still a pretty good album, though.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:05 pm

I thought I liked it on release, but after repeated listens it became apparent there was no substance to it. It's a bit too silly but that could be overlooked if the songs were good. Sadly there are only three legitimately good songs on it. The rest is the definition of bland, forgettable and meh.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:25 pm

I like a couple of the songs but when there are more songs on an album that make me cringe than ones I like, I don't tend to listen to it very much.

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:42 pm

Not a fan. That had a very short shelf life on my play list. Humor is ok but he took it too far. Too much funny bone and not enough jugular. Many of my friends who are rockers and enjoy Alice live thought it was a real turd. Much to varied in styles.

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:38 pm

I Loved and still love W2MN.
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:06 pm

I like it! :alice:
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:19 pm

No problem with W2MN. Solid songs, well mixed. Good variety, diversity. Gets regular play.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:31 pm

A poor idea to try and re-heat a classic album. A huge mistake on the first song as we are introduced to Kanye Cooper. Two horribly unfunny comedy songs that rank up there with the worst of his songs ever. Not a good album.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:38 pm

revinkevin wrote:Not a fan. That had a very short shelf life on my play list. Humor is ok but he took it too far. Too much funny bone and not enough jugular. Many of my friends who are rockers and enjoy Alice live thought it was a real turd. Much to varied in styles.
Good summary. I feel the same way.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:52 pm

I have to say six years later it is still in semi-regular rotation for me.

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:55 pm

I LOVE Nightmare 2...for me personally, it has his best ballad, I love Something to Remember Me By....Caffeine is an addicting song and loved seeing it done live...Under the Bed's chorus gets me pumped...I could go on and on....I love it....easily in my top 10 maybe highter....Paranormal has been amazing and can't stop playing it....
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:36 pm

I mean it's not Trash or Constrictor

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:47 pm

guttertrash wrote:I mean it's not Trash or Constrictor
I like the Constrictor album a lot (though Raise Your Fist and Yell is even better in my opinion) Trash is a decent straight ahead pop metal album. Some good songs there (though Hey Stoopid is far superior of an album). Thanks for your reply.

Keith1980
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Keith1980 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:03 pm

Their are only 4 albums i haven't been able to really get into as a whole. Easy Action, Schools Out, Eyes of Alice Cooper, Dirty Diamonds

W2MN is high on my list of great albums, the story is great the songs work and sound great. As far as comparing the old ones to the new album the new album has only been out for not even a week yet everything else we have had time to listen to for at least 6 years up to 48 years lol Paranormal i havent played anything else since i got it last friday. i think this one is going to be a close number 1. im wondering if Alice is going to dive into some realy obscure tracks for the next tour and if this album was done to help bring those albums out in concert more? These new songs are extreamly short and to the point like the 3 blackout albums of the 80's. Flush the Fasion was a bunch of short stories from tabloids and this is a collection of 12 short stories from like a twilight zone book Alice has said. so who knows.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:25 pm

The first five songs are tight, concise, and (fairly) conceptual. After that, the whole thing - bar When Hell Comes Home - falls flat on its face; a sprawling, self-congratulatory, dog's dinner of execrable 'comedy', homages (Stones/Jackson/Who), plus the sappiest ballad this side of Vegas Manilow.

It's overproduced, overly slick, stuffed full of Ezrin's rent-a-sessioneer; with a crap cover to boot.

Spiner202
Killer
Killer

Post by Spiner202 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:50 am

Still a big fan of Welcome 2 My Nightmare. The only bad song is Ghouls Gone Wild.

The weird thing about that record is that it has absolutely no business being good. It has so many terrible ideas jammed into one record, but almost every single one of them works flawlessly.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:22 am

pitkin88 wrote:A poor idea to try and re-heat a classic album. A huge mistake on the first song as we are introduced to Kanye Cooper. Two horribly unfunny comedy songs that rank up there with the worst of his songs ever. Not a good album.
I agree completly. I thought it was foolish to try and do a sequel to a legendary album. He could have incorporated some themes from the album into the project but left it as a stand alone album.

Then--the most unforgivable aspect of it all--to me the greatest travesty in the Alice career---is that damn cover! It makes the RYFAY cover look like a Roger Dean album cover! The original WTMN cover is one of the classiest and best looking album covers in the history of music. The "sequel" then contains one of the most embarrassing covers in the history of music! The cover ruined the whole thing for me!

Also, it cheapened the original WTMN as now it has a bastard sequel attached to it forever. It's like the "Caddyshack II" of rock n roll.

With all that being said, it's a decent album that suffers tremendously from two very awful tracks --Disco Bloodbath... and What Baby Wants. I'd take "No More Love AT Your Convenience" over those two turds any day of the week.

Speaking of album covers--it's my opinion that if Paranormal had a better cover than the one it has--which by the way was likely done in thirty minutes with a budget of $8.00, it would have an even greater impact.

Now that the album is doing well maybe they can issue it with a new cover aimed at people above the age of 14 years old! But...I think I have a better chance of hearing "No Baloney Homosapiens" performed live than them ever doing this!

I'm Pain
Killer
Killer

Post by I'm Pain » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:19 am

W2MN is maybe my least favorite Alice Cooper album ever. 3 of his most embarrassing songs ever recorded are on that album; what baby wants, Disco Bloodbath, and Ghouls gone wild.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:50 am

How did I forget "Ghouls Gone Wild"? Well..I kind of forgot the whole album. I haven't listened to it in years.