Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Thoughts On And Ranking The New Album

Post by TeresofBlood » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:58 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
recoop wrote:Only bought the CD today-honest. HMV York and the guy behind the counter said the CD was flying off the shelves- I thought I had misheard him but No it apparently has been selling well - the shelves pretty well stocked too.

Anyway, I am very entertained by this Album-there are a lot of influences on the album to my hearing (including influences from past AC offerings). I think the songs themselves are strong musically and the lyrical content is very interesting. The first ten tracks somehow flow together sound and energy wise (for the opposite,imo, listen to Lace and W).

If this had been an offering from another band I would have bought it on hearing it. Alice's voice is strong and growly which I like. I don't know how to rank the album but on first listen I would say its better than most of the solo offerings. So it could be up there with my solo favourites such as Welcome,FTI,TLT and Brutal Planet although this is not a concept album.

Can someone explain what the lyrics of the Sound of A is about or even what A is? (keep failing to find Alice explaining that track).
It's pretty obvious if you don't over think it. A is Alice Cooper.
My theory is that it's about the Sound of the letter A. I underlined all of the "A" sounds. The chorus, Meaningless noise is everybody's toys describes language and the stringing together of letters, vowels, sounds, etc. into our verbal "toys," like poetry or lyrics. Plus the fact that A can make so many different sounds, like "uh" as in underground and "ow" as in sound, ground, around.

The sound of A is in the air
The sound of A is everywhere
With the sound of a gun
And you run
Yeah, yeah, yeah

The sound of A is all around
The sound of A is underground
It will creep into your bone
When you're alone
Yeah, yeah, yeah

Meaningless noise is everybody's toys

The sound of A will keep you down
With that cruel, peculiar sound
It will shoot into your brain
And remain
Yeah, yeah, yeah

Edited my posted because I missed a few haha.

firstmanonmars
Trash
Trash

Post by firstmanonmars » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:35 pm

The Sound of A is about a (dystopic) society trying to control the citizens with the sound of A. Yes, A. Not E, D, G, C.

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:12 am

I think the album is works, it has some really good spots but overall, it's just not great.
DoCtOrS wAnT To ChEcK Me, PoKe Me, AnD DiSsEcT Me......

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:37 am

Liking it a lot......gotta be 3rd on my fave solo albums after just two listens

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:47 am

Really truly like the new album. Disc 1 especially, the 2 ACG tracks on Disc 2 (along w/those on Disc 1) are a harbinger of better things to come!
I think that "Genuine American Girl" could become ranked as an LBGT anthem the likes of Lou Reeds' "Walk On The Wild Side"! :clap:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:04 am

firstmanonmars wrote:The Sound of A is about a (dystopic) society trying to control the citizens with the sound of A. Yes, A. Not E, D, G, C.

It could also be a tribute to The Fonz.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:39 am

post of the day!

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:13 am

pitkin88 wrote:It could also be a tribute to The Fonz.
:rotfl:
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:08 am

pitkin88 wrote:
firstmanonmars wrote:The Sound of A is about a (dystopic) society trying to control the citizens with the sound of A. Yes, A. Not E, D, G, C.

Before he jumped the Shark
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:41 am

recoop wrote:
pitkin88 wrote:

Before he jumped the Shark
That was his blackout episode.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

I'm Pain
Killer
Killer

Post by I'm Pain » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:09 am

The sound of A. I was thinking that the "A" could stand for either Armageddon or Ascension. The album has been pointed out to have strong Christian undertones, and there's two other songs dealing with the end of the world - fireball, and You and All of Your Friends.

The sound of A is in the air.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:03 am

I hope Dennis plays the original on his FB page. Be interesting to see how it compares to the re-make.

grim fact
Trash
Trash

Post by grim fact » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:59 pm

Rob wrote:On the whole so far I like it , would of been much happier if the 2nd cd was given over to the recent sets with the original ACG ,don`t think we really needed anymore live recordings from any of the last few tours especially as BDB is ruined by Alice not coming up with the lyrics at one point ,
With regards to the new album , who will be the first to invent a drinking game around it , any time during the playback you here a Alice Cooper song title or reference you stop and take a drink , you will be certain to be pissed before the end .
Ideal scenario is that it sells well , and at least 3 - 5 tracks get included in the setlist later in the year , ( See I`m already pissed and disillusioned )

Dead Flies
Please, watch your step, dear
The world is out to beat you
Don't you know there's cannibals
Designed to kill and eat you

Generation Landslide
Please clean your plate, dear,
The lord above can see ya
Don't you know people are starving in Korea?

:evil:

And then I'm gonna eat ya!

Seriously
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Seriously » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:50 pm

Played the new album to death, I am very pleased with it as it's a very very good album and as my opinion is the only one that I'm interested in that counts.

Pain in the ar*e changing the CD's for the other two tracks as I am not interested in the 'live' tracks, but I suppose they have their reasons for doing this. :rock: :rock:

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:08 pm

Seriously wrote:Played the new album to death, I am very pleased with it as it's a very very good album and as my opinion is the only one that I'm interested in that counts.

Pain in the ar*e changing the CD's for the other two tracks as I am not interested in the 'live' tracks, but I suppose they have their reasons for doing this. :rock: :rock:
I'm gonna rip those to off of CD2 & add them to a copy of CD 1 (for my personal use). :rock: I'm on the fence about adding the "Live" tracks because I think they all can fit on 1 80min CD.
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:15 pm

exactly what i did too : putting the 12 tracks on one sd card (and I wonder why the 12 weren't put on 1cd?) (perhaps You and your friends didn't fit the theme ( if we consider the paranormality to be the theme ?)
finally getting into Dead Flies, which make me fully satisfied with this cd.
Holy water may be peculiar, but so was the Last man on earth on W2mnm2 and I read no complains about that one :alice:
you really wouldn't understand..

Spettro
Trash
Trash

Post by Spettro » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:17 pm

On a few listens more, it's growing on me. :ghostface:

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:13 am

This is the first album since Brutal Planet that has connected with me.

It's been a week and it continues to grow on me. At first I didn't care much for "Private Public Breakdown" and now it's becoming on of my favorite tracks off the album. Same goes for Dyanmite Road which I'm really starting to get into--a great song.

Holy Water--which I still think is the weak spot is not as bad as I originally thought it was. The damn thing is stuck in my head. In fact most of the songs stick in my head!

This is one of Alice's best solo albums. Fireball is a new classic. It ranks in the best of his solo stuff.

Also, this album has an incredible flow. It was a great feat to tie together all the different styles and have it flow effortlessly.

One more thing--I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that the album is ballad free!

Comus
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Comus » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:48 am

mr.barlow wrote:This is the first album since Brutal Planet that has connected with me.

It's been a week and it continues to grow on me. At first I didn't care much for "Private Public Breakdown" and now it's becoming on of my favorite tracks off the album. Same goes for Dyanmite Road which I'm really starting to get into--a great song.

Holy Water--which I still think is the weak spot is not as bad as I originally thought it was. The damn thing is stuck in my head. In fact most of the songs stick in my head!

This is one of Alice's best solo albums. Fireball is a new classic. It ranks in the best of his solo stuff.

Also, this album has an incredible flow. It was a great feat to tie together all the different styles and have it flow effortlessly.

One more thing--I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that the album is ballad free!
I'm actually quite pleased about it being ballad-free. The last few albums have't really had a quality ballad in my opinion and a poor one really slows things down
Is someone calling me?
...No
I think I hear a voice
It's outside the door!!

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:41 pm

Comus wrote:I'm actually quite pleased about it being ballad-free.
Agreed on that count. Usually the ballads are love song cliches and not memorable.

Still haven't placed this album in context of other albums. Needs time but I've ranked the songs I'm liking the most so far:

1. Fireball - Great atmosphere, lyrics, mood. My understanding is this is mainly the influence of Dennis, a topic I discussed elsewhere.

2. Sound of A - I like the line, "Meaningless noise..." mysterious enough to mean different things and reminiscent of the times when Alice would write mysterious lyrics and the power of his image enhanced the enjoyment and interpretation.

3. Holy Water. Catchy as all get-out. Saw some online reviewers that don't like the religious preaching but I don't see it that way. The album theme is paranormal and I view the protagonist as a religious extremist. Alice overplays the characterization leading to the song being seen (like it does on I Love America) as either satire or conviction, but it could be either.

4. Paranoiac Personality - In a more rock and roll era this would have been a charting single.

5. Paranormal - Finally a solid album opener!

6. Genuine American Girl - This should be a novelty hit if it gets the right push and some luck.

7. Private Public Breakdown - Growing on me.

The rest I can take or leave although there's isn't a song I really hate nor a ballad I wish wasn't on the album.