Thoughts On And Ranking The New Album

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Thoughts On And Ranking The New Album

Post by patrick » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:23 am

had my first listen today and on the whole ( after reading some of these negative remarks here) supprised that it is that good ! Only Dead Flies lacks some flow to me, but it might improve after some hearings.
And most of the reviews I read so far are more than positive..
Thankfull anyway to have another Alice record ( who would have expected that 40 years ago ! )
you really wouldn't understand..

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:04 am

Now finished a third listen through and starting to split out for playlists. Fireball is getting stronger all the time and the opening track for the first list, really sets the pace for some high tempo tracks. Starting to think that several tracks can stand really well on their own. Dynamite Road is really coming through as well and Private Public Breakdown is excellent, love the groove. Whole album is growing all the time.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:17 am

Having had a few listens, this album is really growing on me. The lack of theme actually seems less of an issue now. Paranormal is good but it could have been so much better.... a little more thought into the structure could have made this a classic. Dead Flies has one hell of a riff and Fireball gets better with each listen.

Paranoiac Personality fits great within the album. Fallen in Love is alright, I like the groove, it's very much an album track. Dynamite Road has a Dave Lee Roth feel and the drumming is perfect. I actually think the drums on this record are all spot on and deserves credit.

Private Public Breakdown has a great summer vibe and the muddy guitar tone which initially turned me off is actually quite appealing. It adds a fuzzy, desert rock feel. It's still essentially a blues bar tune but i like it.

Holy Water again feels like it could have been from an early Roth album with the broadway feel. Rats is a thunderous little track, again the drums totally thump on this one, Alice's voice tears right through the entire track. Great stuff.

The Sound of A.... I just think this is great. Shades of Gilmour in the guitars, haunting vocals. Give me more of this please.

Genuine American Girl, stupidly catchy, fun. A song i'd happily have on my car stereo. You and all your friends, some really nice vocals and the band rips on this one.

Live tracks are all energetic enough. Pretty sure I heard Alice stumble over the lyrics on B$B though?!

So as of this moment, i'll give the album a solid 7.5/10. Be interesting to see how I feel about this in 12 months time.

Comus
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Comus » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:28 pm

Love it. I think the reunion tracks are actually two of the weaker tracks which surprised me. I don't understand the hate for Holy Water. It's something different from Alice, as a lot of the tracks are. Only one I really wasn't keen on on first listen was Public Private Breakdown although it improved on a second listen. I think the wait has been worth it, although it is a really short album and I would have liked a little more. I for one am really happy Alice is still trying new things and experimenting when he could easily just do Killer #30 and phone it in. Much rather try something different and misjudge it than play safe and be boring.
Is someone calling me?
...No
I think I hear a voice
It's outside the door!!

Suspiria
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Suspiria » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:56 pm

Having only picked it up this very afternoon, I've had just one playthrough (via cd format) but I would currently say that the standout tracks are Paranormal, Private Public Breakdown and Genuine American Girl. Rest of album is decent but unremarkable imo. Sounds pretty damning but I'm just relieved not to have bought another ACAS.

btw I actually thought (rather foolishly) that the live tracks were gonna be with the original AC group members (I obviously didn't notice that Feed My Frankenstein was listed). That would have made some sense - the entire second disc being an Alice Cooper group album, both studio and live.

Since the live material is standard solo career stuff, I would have preferred it if Genuine American Girl and You and All Of Your Friends had made an appearance on disc one as album bonus tracks. And disc two had been live only. Is slightly frustrating to have to change discs to listen to all 12 new studio songs.
Neil Harrison.

I'm Pain
Killer
Killer

Post by I'm Pain » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:58 pm

I wasn't expecting much - to be honest. With that being said, I'm finding I like this one much better then his previous efforts. I've been a harsh critic of his humor infused songs which border on novelty music, and thankfully he's restrained that a bit on the new album. There's a couple atmospheric tracks (Paranormal - Sound of A) that I'm really digging. Fireball is an absolute blast, as is Rats.

Maybe my only beef is that he's drifting too far from his signature sound. I'm hearing ZZ Top, Pink Floyd, Ghost, and Nickleback when what I really want to be hearing is Alice Cooper. It's the price you pay when you litter an album with session musicians, and special guests. It's no wonder the original band tracks seem to stand out. I'm not saying they're better (but I am), but you have more of an actual artist identity. I love the album From the Inside, but it's so slick, and polished that it comes off as a studio product of the times. Same with the new album. I'm surprised that Bob Ezrin turned into David Foster at some point...

Genuine American Girl? Ugh, that's gonna be the hit song. It's gonna be used in movies, and you're gonna hear it in commercials - mark my words. I hate silly songs, and it bugs me a bit that the original band is going to be associated with a novelty song, but that song is so catchy, and driving that it's going to be unavoidable. I'm finding myself having a hard time getting it out of my head. Kudos to Neal Smith..

I give it 3 out of 5 stars. Leaving now to go crank up Rats, and pay some bills..

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:55 pm

Probably unintentional, but the acronym for Genuine American Girl... :laugh:
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:16 pm

Did I hear a Black Widow riff in one of the songs? I can't remember which at the moment but I will pay attention next time.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:36 pm

I'm Pain wrote: Maybe my only beef is that he's drifting too far from his signature sound. I'm hearing ZZ Top, Pink Floyd, Ghost, and Nickleback when what I really want to be hearing is Alice Cooper. It's the price you pay when you litter an album with session musicians, and special guests.
This is an excellent point and it's one of the major issues with the last two albums.
I'm Pain wrote: It's no wonder the original band tracks seem to stand out. I'm not saying they're better (but I am), but you have more of an actual artist identity.
They do sound more natural, more like Alice Cooper to me than stuff brought in from outside writers. When I posted my initial thoughts, I had no idea that Dennis was co-writer of "Fireball" and "The Sound Of A", but those tracks were some of my higher rated songs on the album.
I'm Pain wrote: Genuine American Girl? Ugh, that's gonna be the hit song. It's gonna be used in movies, and you're gonna hear it in commercials - mark my words. I hate silly songs, and it bugs me a bit that the original band is going to be associated with a novelty song, but that song is so catchy, and driving that it's going to be unavoidable. I'm finding myself having a hard time getting it out of my head. Kudos to Neal Smith..
I like the song, but I don't like when Alice makes himself the butt of the joke. I think it could have been done more effectively in the third person or without that angle at all. But what's done is done, so how about an MTV quality video featuring Caitlyn Jenner in the starring role and watch this thing explode up the charts.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by andyrew » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:52 pm

Anyone notice the Schools Out riff on "Fallen In Love"? It's at 1:49-1:52.

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:10 pm

Black Widow riff was in Dynamite Road.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:42 pm

Got my copy in the mail yesterday, haven't listened to it yet. Will post a review when I get a chance.

In regards to Christian undertones someone posted: "I don't begrudge the man for his beliefs." I agree and can ignore it if it doesn't go too far. I think even Alice would agree we should ignore him. He famously said that rock stars are "all morons" during a political spat a decade ago and criticized people for getting their views from rock stars. I assume this applies to religion, not just politics.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:47 pm

Ok thoughts after a day of listening! A real grower of an album. I actually like the different styles! I like that Alice is still experimenting and pushing it rather than going for the easy option. The drumming is really good and pushes the album forward which was a bit of a surprise.
Dead flies was the only one that I was a bit unsure of but once I got the headphones on I Enjoyed it more.
Paranormal I think is a superb opener, full of atmosphere.
Fireball is a great rocker and I enjoy the sixties retro feel. Good vocals on this one.
PP works better on the album than as a stand alone, but if they had kept the opening bass riff and gave the guitar a more bluesy vibe I would have enjoyed it more.
Fallen in love is a great straight ahead rocker with the Alice twist.
Dynamite road is superb. The devil went down to Georgia for the new century!
Private public breakdown is another great little rocker with great lyrics. Catchy tune.
Holy water I really like, great fun.
Rats is another straight forward rocker but doesn't really grab me much.
I think the sound of A is superb. It just has a great psychedelic vibe.
Genuine American girl is probably my favourite, a really catchy be bop vibe with the twist of humour you got in every ACG lp.
I'm a bit disappointed in you and all your friends. Not enough bite.
Overall much more consistent than I was expecting and a great rock album, probably closer to eyes than anything else.
As for the live tracks....don't really do anything for me, we have heard these tracks so many times I'm sure. That there could have been something better to fill disk 2 with. Also I thought the box set was a bit lacklustre. Just the cd and t-shirt. I thought there could have been another bonus track or two! Having said that the booklet is really well done. Now I just need to justify buying the vinyl!

I'm Pain
Killer
Killer

Post by I'm Pain » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:00 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
I'm Pain wrote: Maybe my only beef is that he's drifting too far from his signature sound. I'm hearing ZZ Top, Pink Floyd, Ghost, and Nickleback when what I really want to be hearing is Alice Cooper. It's the price you pay when you litter an album with session musicians, and special guests.
This is an excellent point and it's one of the major issues with the last two albums.
I'm Pain wrote: It's no wonder the original band tracks seem to stand out. I'm not saying they're better (but I am), but you have more of an actual artist identity.
They do sound more natural, more like Alice Cooper to me than stuff brought in from outside writers. When I posted my initial thoughts, I had no idea that Dennis was co-writer of "Fireball" and "The Sound Of A", but those tracks were some of my higher rated songs on the album.
I'm Pain wrote: Genuine American Girl? Ugh, that's gonna be the hit song. It's gonna be used in movies, and you're gonna hear it in commercials - mark my words. I hate silly songs, and it bugs me a bit that the original band is going to be associated with a novelty song, but that song is so catchy, and driving that it's going to be unavoidable. I'm finding myself having a hard time getting it out of my head. Kudos to Neal Smith..
I like the song, but I don't like when Alice makes himself the butt of the joke. I think it could have been done more effectively in the third person or without that angle at all. But what's done is done, so how about an MTV quality video featuring Caitlyn Jenner in the starring role and watch this thing explode up the charts.
Genuine American Girl is gonna be a big strip club song too - just like Poison.
Last edited by I'm Pain on Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Lucius Morthem » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:22 pm

Regarding the album, maybe we should stop separting the "ACG tracks" and the rest.

Alice has said that the difference is that the whole band played on those two tracks.

But Neal and Dennis played on part of the album too. And they wrote for the album too.

The only difference between GAG and YALOYF is that Michael played on those.

Back to the topic.

The album has many styles if you could say so, it's great as Alice can handles all of this, but to me the problem lays in production.

Still, love the album. Song I listen to the least is Private Public Breakdown, just don't like it, a complete downer for me.

Dead Flies on the other hand is wonderful! What to say about the Sound of A, impressive to hear that it was the first song Alice ever wrote.

Dynamite Road, Fireball, Holy Water: Liked them a lot but we can all get different ideas from the same song. Holy Water for me is a little obscene, isn't that funny?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:17 pm

Lucius Morthem wrote:
He's on 'Rats' as well. In fact they all are. Not sure why they are advertising it as just two original band tracks unless the credits on the album are wrong.

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:38 pm

Si wrote:
Lucius Morthem wrote:
He's on 'Rats' as well. In fact they all are. Not sure why they are advertising it as just two original band tracks unless the credits on the album are wrong.
I'm guessing because those two were the only ones that were both written and performed by the original band?
While Rats features the entire band no one (not counting Alice himself) wrote on it and on the tracks Dennis co-wrote he's the only one from the original band performing.

At least this explains why different sources claimed either 2 or 3 songs by the original band when the album was first announced.
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:18 pm

Had several more listens and I like all of the album except for "You and All Your Friends." I still don't care for that one.

Maaki
Killer
Killer

Post by Maaki » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:28 pm

I am liking the album. I haven't received my copy so I am going with Spotify so far. Apparently there is no "I've fallen in love..." there at all, so reserving judgement on that.

Anyway, I like most of the songs. Rats is a bit boring but ok - more than a real filler. The sound of A, I have no opinion on yet. I just can't decide if I really really like it or if it's very boring. It may be one of those songs that makes me thing that..

I really wish someone would shoot Ezrin and his guest musician fetish out the airlock, though. It's 40 years overdue to be quite honest. And if it's on Tommy then he can go with Bob as far as I am concerned. Many of the songs lack the oomph from great musicianship to push them to another level, but Bob caters for his mates. Fireball screams for a great guitarist and the playing is the definition of boring and mediocre. Ace Frehley would have killed that for a penny if you really need to bring in guests. But I guess Bob is more used to replacing Ace than the other way around... Needless to mention that I still stand by what I wrote months ago - if you are going to bring in musicians, bring the best, or don't bother at all. Original band members plus touring band would have resulted in a better end product.

Still, my initial reaction after three listens is positive and happy. How can that be? Songs are good for the most part, which is the most important thing.

Maaki
Killer
Killer

Post by Maaki » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:35 pm

Also - I love Nita killing the Vai solo on FMF and then burying it and sitting on the grave for a smoke, on a proper recording :HEART: