Re: More tracks to hear...

Post by robcam » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:50 am

The track Paranormal has been released on Google Play Music for streaming

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:54 am

Paranormal is on Spotify US. Hmm. Well I guess since it's now a single and not a sample there's no harm in listening to it. :laugh:

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:04 am

Just gave it a listen. First impression: intro reminded me immediately of House of the Rising Sun. Agree that it sounded very disjointed and all over the place. Thought it was an odd choice for an opening track.

Second impression: I like the song a lot. It's different, unpredictable; a pleasant surprise. I enjoy the instrumentation - the way it rises and falls. It almost feels like an overture since Alice's vocals are clearly not the centerpiece of the song.

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:33 pm

"Paranormal" is great. It would sound great next to "This House Is Haunted", "I Am Made Of You" and "Is Anyone Home?"......DJ, please.
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:05 pm

The track has a good feel to it. Some of the stops and differences in tempo do feel a bit jarring. I think the main vocal ideas are good and i like the rock guitar passage towards the end.

I think it's a grower.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:52 pm

I am totally on board with "Paranormal." Love the changes throughout, love the contrasts in sound, and I really appreciate the creative drumming. That middle break reminds me of how fun it is to discover a good new record. I think it's engaging and adventurous. Anxious to hear the rest. Two weeks to go!
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Somwhere In Auckland
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Somwhere In Auckland » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:05 pm

While Heaven Wept wrote:The track has a good feel to it. Some of the stops and differences in tempo do feel a bit jarring. I think the main vocal ideas are good and i like the rock guitar passage towards the end.

I think it's a grower.
Thats the most annoying part, it's OK to have the intro, but to repeat it after the first verse kills momentum of the song

Somwhere In Auckland
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Somwhere In Auckland » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:07 pm

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:37 pm

The video is like a glorified screen saver. Not a great album opener by any means. C at best.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:58 pm

Sounds like an unfinished song with a solo bridge section thrown in that does not fit at all and a lazy repeating of the first part as a means to try to tie everything together...it's like their were three separate ideas in the song and no idea what to donwith them, so "the master of arrangement" said "Let's throw them together, because people will assume since I am the king of arranging and production that it is genius." I am utterly letdown by what Alice's twilight years have turned into because of his rekindling of work with Ezrin.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:03 pm

Alice is still a hell of a performer, and he can still sing like a man half his age. I really hate that he has not surrounded himself around people with better ideas

Voodoo Revolution
Killer
Killer

Post by Voodoo Revolution » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:21 pm

guttertrash wrote:Sounds like an unfinished song with a solo bridge section thrown in that does not fit at all and a lazy repeating of the first part as a means to try to tie everything together...
This. I had high hopes for this song after hearing the teaser on that Italian station (which turned out to be basically the whole song!).

When I listened to the whole thing, my first reaction was "Huh. That's it." It's good, I like the vocals and the story of the song but I feel it could have been so much better.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

Spettro
Trash
Trash

Post by Spettro » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:21 pm

It's dark, it's proggy, it's cool. I got a mid 70's vibe from it. It's good in my book. :laugh:

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:30 pm

The usual bombast; grafted-on guitar histrionics; tedious tune; plus BE's burnt-to-a-cinder production. Dreadful.

Somwhere In Auckland
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Somwhere In Auckland » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:53 pm

Using the intro part multiple times makes the song disjointed and kills the flow.

I agree with guttertrash it sounds like multiple ideas cut and pasted to make one song, Erin is definitely sterile these days

Spettro
Trash
Trash

Post by Spettro » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:34 pm

I broke down and listened to the 30 second clips and I really gotta say that I think Paranormal is shaping up to be a Zipper Catches Skin sequel.

I don't think it's a bad thing but, from the snippets it just feels like the album is all over the place.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:54 pm

I'm liking the song "Paranormal" after hearing the full thing.

Definitely a departure, but it rocks hard and has a creepy factor.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:13 pm

I liked what I heard of Paranormal from last week's preview. Having now heard the whole track I think it's a top drawer tune, and whilst quite short (at 4:11), I think it has an Iron Maiden style 'big song' feel to it. I guess it helps that I've always been a fan of songs that take you in 'different directions'. I think it would make an excellent show opener.

The only thing I don't like is that the mid-song instrumental starts with sound only on on the right speaker, which doesn't work anywhere near as well as say Wind Up Toy.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:42 am

The song is really good up to that guitar breakdown 3/4 through. It wasn't memorable or contributed anything the song. But it comes back at the end.

Holly Grail
Killer
Killer

Post by Holly Grail » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:51 pm

"Paranormal" is a grower and what I like most is his vocals and the interesting story. It maybe lacks some more lyrics or something!
The intro with Alice starting singing like that is magic to me and even though it may not be killer song it will always be getting a "play" beacause if its unique atmosphere.