Paranormal Personality - the first single

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Paranormal Personality - the first single

Post by While Heaven Wept » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:09 pm

Not liking something is fine, everyone's entitled to their point of view.

Repeatedly stating your dissatisfaction with something is trolling and i'm frankly sick of it.

There are a very small minority of people on this board who are simply out to cause trouble. Much of which stems from personal grievances they have with other individuals. It's childish, pathetic and it needs to stop.

I even question whether some of these people are even fans.

Pitta
Killer
Killer

Post by Pitta » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:39 pm

While Heaven Wept wrote:Not liking something is fine, everyone's entitled to their point of view.

Repeatedly stating your dissatisfaction with something is trolling and i'm frankly sick of it.

There are a very small minority of people on this board who are simply out to cause trouble. Much of which stems from personal grievances they have with other individuals. It's childish, pathetic and it needs to stop.

100% the truth.
Where's my make-up, where's my face ?

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:16 pm

While Heaven Wept wrote:Not liking something is fine, everyone's entitled to their point of view.

What a load of carp. Just come here to cause trouble? I'm pretty sure the non fans you are referring to know at least as much about AC as you do and have spent just as much money on AC. If you dont like whoever stop crying and block them. You dont have to read their posts. There will no doubt be a those hating the new album as those fawning over it. Get used to it.

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:50 pm

I actually really like the drum sound on this track. It is much more lively and loud than what we have heard recently from Alice. Vocals are nice but nothing unusual stylistically speaking. The most interesting part of the song is definitely the atmospheric intro which reminds me a lot of Pink Floyd's Careful With That Axe Eugene and AC's Go To Hell. Lyrics are quite fitting not brilliant but a bit more detailed than most of Along Came A Spider and more enjoyable. Musically it is in many ways typical modern hard rock. It is in my opinion a pretty cohesive track structurally and by no means one of the worst songs of this kind. One thing that this song really misses is a more biting or soaring guitar solo that could have elevated song into better quality. I give it 7.5/10.

One thing I want to say is the single is rarely the most adventurous or interesting song on the album. Black Sabbath's God Is Dead for example was the most overlong and boring song on the whole 13 album. Judas Priest's Redeemer Of Souls was pretty good but there were more interesting album cuts. Van Halen's Tattoo was widely criticized being the worst song on their latest album and Alice's Novocaine (I know many will disagree with me) was lamest song on The Eyes. And this doesn't apply to just hard rock and heavy metal. Besides Alice has said that this album will be quite varied so not all the songs will be in this style(Paranoiac Personality).
I bet that many songs on the album will be both praised and criticized for their musical direction depending on who's listening.

I didn't buy and believe the claim that this album will be in the same vein as Killer for one second. It may have reminded Alice of Killer while making the album and when you are deep inside the creative process you don't see things objectively and besides artist's view of his own work will always be a little different from fans and every fan also has the more or less differing point of view on any artistic product. I say this as a recently published poet.

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:14 pm

The son of Don Quijote wrote:I actually really like the drum sound on this track. It is much more lively and loud than what we have heard recently from Alice. Vocals are nice but nothing unusual stylistically speaking. The most interesting part of the song is definitely the atmospheric intro which reminds me a lot of Pink Floyd's Careful With That Axe Eugene and AC's Go To Hell. Lyrics are quite fitting not brilliant but a bit more detailed than most of Along Came A Spider and more enjoyable. Musically it is in many ways typical modern hard rock. It is in my opinion a pretty cohesive track structurally and by no means one of the worst songs of this kind. One thing that this song really misses is a more biting or soaring guitar solo that could have elevated song into better quality. I give it 7.5/10.

One thing I want to say is the single is rarely the most adventurous or interesting song on the album. Black Sabbath's God Is Dead for example was the most overlong and boring song on the whole 13 album. Judas Priest's Redeemer Of Souls was pretty good but there were more interesting album cuts. Van Halen's Tattoo was widely criticized being the worst song on their latest album and Alice's Novocaine (I know many will disagree with me) was lamest song on The Eyes. And this doesn't apply to just hard rock and heavy metal. Besides Alice has said that this album will be quite varied so not all the songs will be in this style(Paranoiac Personality).
I bet that many songs on the album will be both praised and criticized for their musical direction depending on who's listening.

I didn't buy and believe the claim that this album will be in the same vein as Killer for one second. It may have reminded Alice of Killer while making the album and when you are deep inside the creative process you don't see things objectively and besides artist's view of his own work will always be a little different from fans and every fan also has the more or less differing point of view on any artistic product. I say this as a recently published poet.

Such truth spoken here...I think that people thinking Paranormal would sound like Killer was setting themselves up for disappointment...it could be a variety of reasons that Alice brought up Killer but none the less "Paranoiac Personality" is a great start to what will hopefully be another memorable AC experience...and yes this board has people of varying opinions but I am sure the administrators feel that sometimes it gets a little heated on here...we all love Alice Cooper and we should be able to express our opinions in a civil way...the animosity isn't necessary...
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:22 pm

Devon wrote:Thats something that should be reserved for those who like "Along Came A Spider." ;) JUST kidding.
Hey. :nono:
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:46 pm

The Son of Don Quijote wrote:
"I didn't buy and believe the claim that this album will be in the same vein as Killer for one second."

Nobody has actually said that and yet this misconception persists. When Alice made that reference, he was referring to the songs he was writing with the original band in that he was trying to capture the feel of that album. He wasn't referring to the whole of "Paranormal".

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:14 pm

Tommy Denander's comments did not help fan the flames. He references an album that returns Alice to the sound of his 70s output, so these kinds of comments are at best misleading. Sure, there is a hint of a Goes To Hell style main guitar riff on this song, but their is nothing overall that says a fan of 70s Alice will like this song.
My problem is not people liking something. My problem is that people sit and perpetuate a myth. "Yea, I hear that classic sound and that garage rock influence." No, you don't. It's not there. The interplay between guitars is not classic, the drumming is nothing like how a drummer in the 70s would play, and the production is brickwalled, modern rock/metal by the book. This is not very much unlike Along Came A Spider. It just has professional production. There are a few people here that are cheerleaders. They shout for joy and try to pep everybody up and make them see things that do not exist. These are who my comments were directed to, because they make asinine comments. Enjoy the songs and albums and explain your praise, but I will critique things based on what I hear and dislike.

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Lucius Morthem » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:39 pm

Couldn't agree more with Guttertrash.

Is like if someone comes here saying that they love ACAS (PS: I DO like the album a lot) and tell you it has a brilliantly polished production. That it reminds you of the sound of Billion $ babies and Alice's lyrics are at its finest.

That would be a lie. You can like something, but don't lie about it :)

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:19 pm

I hate how amateur ACAS turned out, but I think in many ways it was more Alice than anything that has been made in a long time. If this album was advertised as something like ACAS with the professionalism that it deserves, I'd be happy to give it a chance, and I'm still open to it, but I'm going to be highly critical when it sounds nothing like it it was touted as being and when I dislike aspects of it.

Holly Grail
Killer
Killer

Post by Holly Grail » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:57 pm

An artist with such a huge arsenal of albums will sooner or later have fans comparing a song with a bunch of songs/albums from the past. Alice has proven he doesnt care to keep a significant style. Alice Cooper is not Motorhead. He could record Brutal Planet and after a minuite could record Pretty Ballerina. Well that was the shock for me which made me a fan of him. So , a new song is a new song!It is what it is and not a song to be compared with another song 40 years later. Thanks God Alice is still writing albums and still confusing us what the heck he has in mind!

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:41 pm

guttertrash wrote:The interplay between guitars is not classic, the drumming is nothing like how a drummer in the 70s would play, and the production is brickwalled.

You've said all of this already. Why do you have to keep repeating yourself? Are you worried that we didn't hear you the first time? Have you just discovered the term 'brick wall', like buying a new pair of Jeans you want to wear them every day?

Seriously, this is so nauseating. You don't like it, fine. Going on about it is just so boring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoveItToDeath82
Trash
Trash

Post by LoveItToDeath82 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:08 pm

I don't completely agree with guttertrash, but why does it seem to bother some people so much? People can just scroll on past his comments or ignore him or just not retaliate. It honestly seems like he is reiterating his views satirically in the same redundant fashion as those he is calling out.
"I say I'm right, but I know I'm wrong"

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:15 pm

"The interplay between guitars is not classic, the drumming is nothing like how a drummer in the 70s would play, and the production is brickwalled, modern rock/metal by the book."

This was the complete quote, however there were many more sentences to explain my disdain and why it was said this time around.
Last edited by guttertrash on Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:34 pm

LoveItToDeath82 wrote:I don't completely agree with guttertrash, but why does it seem to bother some people so much? People can just scroll on past his comments or ignore him or just not retaliate. It honestly seems like he is reiterating his views satirically in the same redundant fashion as those he is calling out.

:clap:

Agreed.

Somwhere In Auckland
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Somwhere In Auckland » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:40 pm

guttertrash wrote:"The interplay between guitars is not classic, the drumming is nothing like how a drummer in the 70s would play, and the production is brickwalled, modern rock/metal by the book."

This was the complete quote, however there were many more sentences to explain my disdain and why it was said this time around.
Larry is a terrible drummer, and his work on this single doesnt change that. Literally anyone could have done a better job than this boring, bland one dimensional drummer.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:08 am

Somwhere In Auckland wrote:
guttertrash wrote:"The interplay between guitars is not classic, the drumming is nothing like how a drummer in the 70s would play, and the production is brickwalled, modern rock/metal by the book."

Larry is a terrible drummer, and his work on this single doesnt change that. Literally anyone could have done a better job than this boring, bland one dimensional drummer.
Well, Tommy Denander praises Larry. "and damn, he gave the songs a new life and a much more authentic old-school vibe, in the very best sense.”

Read More: Alice Cooper’s ‘Paranoic Personality’: Hear a Snippet and Learn the Story Behind New Song | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/alice-co ... ck=tsmclip

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:29 am

"Larry is a terrible drummer, and his work on this single doesnt change that. Literally anyone could have done a better job than this boring, bland one dimensional drummer".[/quote]

I've read many comments stating how Larry Mullen's playing is weak, and I just scrolled by because everyone is entitled to their opinion.
However, to call him a terrible drummer is just wrong. As a drummer, I can say that Larry plays to what the song needs in U2. He's never overly flashy or trying to call attention to himself. "Sunday Bloody Sunday" is a good example of a basic yet memorable part that enhances the song. As for his playing on Alice's new single, he does a perfectly fine job, probably exactly what Ezrin and Alice wanted. His playing on the middle instrumental break is excellent- very tight and precisely locked in with the guitars and bass. I've only listened to the song once, but I thought he did a nice job.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:51 am

Henry Rollins is a fan: U2 are rubbish and they have the worst rhythm section in big rock. That is the most plodding, corny rhythm section ever to fill a stadium.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:05 am

To be honest the drumming can't be blamed for making this a bad song. That would really be a stretch. If it wasn't known to be Larry Mullen I doubt there would be much said at all.

Someone mentioned Living Colour's Cult Of Personality earlier and there is a lot of similarity in the sound and chorus.

I have listened to the song about six times now. The intro is excellent and eerie and I wish they had worked more with that than the dum dum dum plod. It's ok and nothing more. I'd really like to see Alice challenged by Ezrin and Ezrin challenged by Alice. There seems to be too much mutual respect and back slapping going on. It would be nice if they took some chances and let the insanity out a bit. Alice certainly doesnt sound paranoid or out of his mind here and I think that is what is lacking. It is also a bit sterile sounding.

I'm not an expert on auto tune but some people are saying it sounds like this or something else has been applied to Alice's voice. Anyone?