Elected 2 version??

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Keith1980
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Elected 2 version??

Post by Keith1980 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:03 pm

When i hear this song on B$B (i have the deluxe reissue) the vocals are coming out only in my right ear bud. On the Box set Life and Crimes the vocals are centered. Are there 2 versions of this song?

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Elected 2 version??

Post by Dannorama » Wed May 24, 2017 1:37 pm

Keith1980 wrote:When i hear this song on B$B (i have the deluxe reissue) the vocals are coming out only in my right ear bud. On the Box set Life and Crimes the vocals are centered. Are there 2 versions of this song?
Pretty observant! The "single" mix had centered vocals. Most likely to ensure proper playback from various radio stations.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed May 24, 2017 1:40 pm

There are more then two.. sort of

I'm no expert but..

The original mix of Elected had the vocals panned to one side. But that was a problem as some mono equipment only played one channel (not a mix or the two, I remember hearing this happen at least once), so you couldn`t hear the vocal. The Box Set version is presumably a different (single?) mix to solve that problem.

There is also the 'Alice Does Alice' version which is a new recording but purposely very very close to the original version. This was the version released last year for the Election.
I think the DVD-A version is also a different mix.

This is my guess off the top of my head. I'm sure someone with greater knowledge can explain it in more detail if needed.

EDIT: Dano beat me too it :)

sumorider
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by sumorider » Wed May 24, 2017 3:31 pm

Also, there are 2 versions of Desperado.
Killer mix and Greatest Hits mix are different.
I prefer Greatest Hits version…

VinceLeeRose
Killer
Killer

Post by VinceLeeRose » Wed May 24, 2017 5:12 pm

Does anyone know why the album version had the vocals panned to the right channel only?

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Thu May 25, 2017 12:05 am

I've always assumed it was the effect Ezrin (?) wanted. The Beatles did that in several of their songs, too. Having fun with stereo....

In early Van Halen recordings, Eddie's guitar only comes out one channel (left, I think, but I can't check right now).

Hunter

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Fri May 26, 2017 12:11 am

VinceLeeRose wrote:Does anyone know why the album version had the vocals panned to the right channel only?
I guess only Ezrin could answer that. Maybe giving the vocal an effect so it kind of sounds like the vocal is being sung through a megaphone. I got the sense that is what they were going for. As far as remixing it for radio, that would have been a must for AM radio play, as AM was mono throughout the seventies and a simple fold down of the two channels would have left the vocals low in the mix (my guess)

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri May 26, 2017 1:54 am

Toronto Bob wrote:
VinceLeeRose wrote:Does anyone know why the album version had the vocals panned to the right channel only?
I guess only Ezrin could answer that. Maybe giving the vocal an effect so it kind of sounds like the vocal is being sung through a megaphone. I got the sense that is what they were going for. As far as remixing it for radio, that would have been a must for AM radio play, as AM was mono throughout the seventies and a simple fold down of the two channels would have left the vocals low in the mix (my guess)

I have asked here before if the 45 mono mixes were dedicated mixes or just collapsed stereo and no one seems to know.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri May 26, 2017 5:12 pm

From SickThings:
"I've always assumed it was the effect Ezrin (?) wanted."

Yes, although he was never really happy with his mix on the original recording. For example, the vocals could have been more prominent.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sat May 27, 2017 2:05 pm

My auld dad gave me his hand-me-down stereo unit which only played one Chanel and for years I thought elected was an instrumental apart from the speech section!

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat May 27, 2017 6:22 pm

dadascot wrote:My auld dad gave me his hand-me-down stereo unit which only played one Chanel and for years I thought elected was an instrumental apart from the speech section!

That's pretty funny.

alan1958
Killer
Killer

Post by alan1958 » Sat May 27, 2017 11:38 pm

dadascot wrote:My auld dad gave me his hand-me-down stereo unit which only played one Chanel and for years I thought elected was an instrumental apart from the speech section!

That must have been a common occurrence here in Scotland , as we had the exact same thing .....My mother had a teak stereogram that had only one speaker working .....

Elected baffled me completely ...where is Alice's voice ? ... :grin:

As did Slade's Coz I Luv You , where the violin solo pans left to right and back again , as does the guitar .....

I remember a neighbor repaired it , and what a revelation to hear EVERYTHING ....