New album update

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: New album update

Post by andyrew » Fri May 12, 2017 2:52 am

I have a feeling that instrumentally, the song "I wanna be an American Girl" is going to have that 70s vibe, with the same kind of humour as Be My Lover, but with the pace of Under My Wheels. Really looking forward to the 28th!

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Fri May 12, 2017 4:57 am

Si wrote:
Ted Sallis wrote:
guttertrash wrote:I hope if the three ACG tracks have been destined to a mini-lp that they will end up just releasing that by itself. No need for the rest for me.
As Alice and the rest of the ACG recorded a total of 6 new songs, I think it would be great if all of the tracks could be put on 1 CD as a standalone release; in order to flesh out the playing time maybe some live tracks from recent special appearances by the ACG could be added.

Ted
Well it does say there are live tracks on the bonus CD. It isn`t clear yet if they are the original band or the current band though.
It would be really good if they were the 7 live tracks from the Good Records set!
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri May 12, 2017 6:26 am

wind_up_toy wrote:
Si wrote: Well it does say there are live tracks on the bonus CD. It isn`t clear yet if they are the original band or the current band though.
It would be really good if they were the 7 live tracks from the Good Records set!
Not really for those who already have those tracks. Better to have something we haven`t already got/heard.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Fri May 12, 2017 9:19 am

Si wrote:
wind_up_toy wrote:
Si wrote: Well it does say there are live tracks on the bonus CD. It isn`t clear yet if they are the original band or the current band though.
Not really for those who already have those tracks. Better to have something we haven`t already got/heard.
Am I missing something? Where can you get the rest of the Astroturf set other than the 2 tracks that featured on the 7"? I would love to see the whole 7 song set alongside the 3-6 new tracks!

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Fri May 12, 2017 9:28 am

I'm just hoping the ACG tracks aren't left of the vinyl version

I'm Pain
Killer
Killer

Post by I'm Pain » Fri May 12, 2017 10:26 am

The new song titles make me cringe - to be honest. When W2MN came out, I voiced my concerns about the Weird Al Yankovic humor on a few of the songs, and was torn apart on this page. However, I stand by my opinion. Turning bad jokes into songs is always a bad idea because any joke really only needs to be heard once or twice. This is what seperates Alice from other artists from his era (Doors, Stooges, MC5, Bowie). For whatever reason, Alice has a silly streak which runs through his art which causes you to not take it seriously. I think the original band anchored him in a good way. I'm looking forward to the album, but my expectations are somewhat low now.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri May 12, 2017 11:11 am

wind_up_toy wrote:
Am I missing something? Where can you get the rest of the Astroturf set other than the 2 tracks that featured on the 7"? I would love to see the whole 7 song set alongside the 3-6 new tracks!
Sorry didn't read correctly, though you meant the *7"* single tracks, not the rest of the set.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Fri May 12, 2017 11:17 am

I'm Pain wrote:The new song titles make me cringe - to be honest. When W2MN came out, I voiced my concerns about the Weird Al Yankovic humor on a few of the songs, and was torn apart on this page. However, I stand by my opinion. Turning bad jokes into songs is always a bad idea because any joke really only needs to be heard once or twice. This is what seperates Alice from other artists from his era (Doors, Stooges, MC5, Bowie). For whatever reason, Alice has a silly streak which runs through his art which causes you to not take it seriously. I think the original band anchored him in a good way. I'm looking forward to the album, but my expectations are somewhat low now.
And it is extremely hard to for me to enjoy a song with lyrics like those found in Disco Bloodbath Boogie Fever or What Baby Wants when the music itself is just as embarrasingly silly. Cold Ethyl is lyrically silly, but it is also clever as hell, and the music makes for one hell of a rock n' roll song. There is nothing on his albums since his major comeback in the mid-80s that has such clever humor. WTMN is like A Nightmare On Elm Street to me, it's got humor but still a sinister edge to it. His newer stabs at humor are like the Scary Movie franchise that is just a silly parody of horror movies. There is no depth or layers or edge to what is being done. I believe he has it in him, because there were moments in ACAS where the sinister element came through a bit, and I think a good producer could have made something special out of that album, but so far, I feel like Ezrin is doing a piss poor job, because he is either pushing Alice into this embarrasingly silly territory or he is OKing Alice's decision to go down that path. Maybe Ezrin is past the point of being able to tell the difference also, because this is not the same mindset that created the gems of WTMN and Dada (or even Goes To Hell and Lace And Whiskey) and definitely not the masterpieces that were the classic era ACG albums.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Fri May 12, 2017 11:33 am

Si wrote:
wind_up_toy wrote:
Sorry didn't read correctly, though you meant the *7"* single tracks, not the rest of the set.
Ahh I see, thanks for clarifying.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri May 12, 2017 1:03 pm

I doubt it would ever happen, but I'd love to see Alice and the original guys work with Rick Rubin and do an album.

Working with Rubin has worked pretty well for an increasingly long list of artists (Sabbath, Metallica, etc) in getting the artists back to closer to or back to their original headspace and original sound.

Rubin told Sabbath that they would never have used the word "love" in their old songs so he wouldn't allow it on the "13" album.

No doubt, Rubin would tell Alice to tone down the over-the-top overt comedy schlock.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri May 12, 2017 2:18 pm

I'm Pain wrote:The new song titles make me cringe - to be honest. When W2MN came out, I voiced my concerns about the Weird Al Yankovic humor on a few of the songs, and was torn apart on this page. However, I stand by my opinion. Turning bad jokes into songs is always a bad idea because any joke really only needs to be heard once or twice. This is what seperates Alice from other artists from his era (Doors, Stooges, MC5, Bowie). For whatever reason, Alice has a silly streak which runs through his art which causes you to not take it seriously. I think the original band anchored him in a good way. I'm looking forward to the album, but my expectations are somewhat low now.

I agree when I heard those titles it was a huge let down. Good point on the band anchoring him too. Echoing RS it would have been great if Alice had an actual brief for the album: No obligatory ballads, no silly songs, no out of place guest stars and no lazy rewrites. I think Alice and Ezrin are patting each other on the back way too much. Neither one is challenging the other.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Fri May 12, 2017 2:55 pm

well the thing with the exclusive guest appearences happened before (Hey Stoopid)
I wonder how the current band members deal with this, but on the other hand almost each of them is involved in other projects, so maybe they don't care too much
concerning the titles...: "yeah yeah yeah" or Blue turk didn't give away much information neither.. :alice:
you really wouldn't understand..

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri May 12, 2017 4:30 pm

patrick wrote:well the thing with the exclusive guest appearences happened before (Hey Stoopid)
I wonder how the current band members deal with this, but on the other hand almost each of them is involved in other projects, so maybe they don't care too much
concerning the titles...: "yeah yeah yeah" or Blue turk didn't give away much information neither.. :alice:

Well Alice has talked about I Wanna Be and if you dont think the other title gives away much there's not much hope for you.

I'm Pain
Killer
Killer

Post by I'm Pain » Fri May 12, 2017 6:06 pm

pitkin88 wrote:

I agree when I heard those titles it was a huge let down. Good point on the band anchoring him too. Echoing RS it would have been great if Alice had an actual brief for the album: No obligatory ballads, no silly songs, no out of place guest stars and no lazy rewrites. I think Alice and Ezrin are patting each other on the back way too much. Neither one is challenging the other.
I'm not sure how this album is going to be similar to Killer (in feel - as Alice has said), so we'll just have to wait and see. It would be refreshing to see him get back to his roots a bit though, and be less concerned with cracking musical jokes, and gushing about his famous guest stars. I think a focused briefing is an excellent idea.

I'm Pain
Killer
Killer

Post by I'm Pain » Fri May 12, 2017 6:13 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:I doubt it would ever happen, but I'd love to see Alice and the original guys work with Rick Rubin and do an album.

Working with Rubin has worked pretty well for an increasingly long list of artists (Sabbath, Metallica, etc) in getting the artists back to closer to or back to their original headspace and original sound.

Rubin told Sabbath that they would never have used the word "love" in their old songs so he wouldn't allow it on the "13" album.

No doubt, Rubin would tell Alice to tone down the over-the-top overt comedy schlock.

Rubin is an absolutely excellent choice.

Keith1980
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Keith1980 » Fri May 12, 2017 7:24 pm

Para normal. Doing something different. Try this. PLAY A TON OF NEW SONGS. That would be different. I understand u need to play the hits but MY GOD. Cooper has a TOOON of great aomgs he could play live and wont. That being said.

Cant wait to see the cover art.

Anyone know the price range for the deluxe box set thats being produced for this? Im assuming cds and vinal are included.

Are the 3 band tracks only on vinal?

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Lucius Morthem » Fri May 12, 2017 7:26 pm

1: According to Earmusic, the album has a garage sound similar to those early Alice's albums...

2: ANYONE BUT RUBIN!

Rubin is the kind of producer that DOES NOT DO THE JOB

Metallica, Johnny Cash and Black Sabbath: The same situation, Rubin let them be and then just engineered everything.

Alice needs a producer who challenges him, who pushes him beyond the limits (In fact, every artist needs a producer like that)

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri May 12, 2017 8:37 pm

The whole point of Alice Cooper was that is was absurd! It was never meant to be taken seriously. Alice has talked since the beginning as he had no intentions of ever being a pretentious serious minded artist. On the contrary, it was all about great music, having fun, using satire and comedy to mock both the music industry and the current culture, and to make tons of money.

This is why I love Alice. He never took (or still takes) himself too seriously. If you truly understood the whole of Alice Cooper you enjoy it even more as you are in on a big inside joke!

The band and solo Alice gave the world incredible music all while laughing all the way to the bank--literally!

I will agree that this may have hurt him as being taken "seriously" by the music press and scholars, but I think the fans are more upset over this than Alice himself.

Need not worry--history will be very kind to Alice.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Fri May 12, 2017 9:55 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
The whole point of Alice Cooper was that is was absurd! It was never meant to be taken seriously. Alice has talked since the beginning as he had no intentions of ever being a pretentious serious minded artist. On the contrary, it was all about great music, having fun, using satire and comedy to mock both the music industry and the current culture, and to make tons of money.

This is why I love Alice. He never took (or still takes) himself too seriously. If you truly understood the whole of Alice Cooper you enjoy it even more as you are in on a big inside joke!

The band and solo Alice gave the world incredible music all while laughing all the way to the bank--literally!

I will agree that this may have hurt him as being taken "seriously" by the music press and scholars, but I think the fans are more upset over this than Alice himself.

Need not worry--history will be very kind to Alice.

There is a huge difference in using satire and comedy to mock the industry and putting out absurdly silly ditties with no depth. Satire always has a clever, poignant slap in the face or else it is useless. Alice has crossed way passed that to the point that there doesn't even seem to be a purpose for the humor.

The way he explains I Wanna Be is exactly the issue. It originally started as I Want A Genuine American Girl, but he felt like the Alice thing to do is make it another cross-dressing song. The joke is played out. It's not funny when you rely on the same puns over and over. It is lazy or a lack of searching for new ideas. I feel like the original title could have had a great, clever lyric, but he went for the silly factor instead of clever. It's just gotten tiring.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri May 12, 2017 10:35 pm

From guttertrash:
"I feel like the original title could have had a great, clever lyric, but he went for the silly factor instead of clever. It's just gotten tiring."

You don't even know what the lyrics are. As Si pointed out, it's extraordinary how some people have already made up their minds about what the album s is like based on almost no information.