Mar Y Sol 1972 album

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

suziginajackson
Killer
Killer

Mar Y Sol 1972 album

Post by suziginajackson » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:36 am

Amazon UK has got a listings for a live album, recorded at the Mar Y Sol Festival in 1972

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s?ie=UTF8&keywo ... ex=blended

Release date is April 28th, 2017, and the track listing seems to be pretty much the same as the live album that was released as part of the 'Old School' box set:

Be My Lover
You Drive Me Nervous
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah
I’m Eighteen
Halo Of Flies
Is It My Body
Dead Babies
Killer
Long Way To Go
School’s Out (instrumental)

Presumably this is another bootleg release
People try to put us down
Just because we get around

nurserozetta
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: Mar Y Sol 1972 album

Post by nurserozetta » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:40 am

I;m not sure that Schools Out ( which appeared on Old School) actually appears on this new boot.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:44 am

"Cleaned and Mastered for Vinyl" but listed as a CD?

The track listing would be the same as most of the shows had the same setlist.
To the best of my knowledge this isn`t a radio show, it's a soundboard recording.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:46 am

nurserozetta wrote:I;m not sure that Schools Out ( which appeared on Old School) actually appears on this new boot.
It's probably the "jam" that was played before the song was finished. Basically the band jamming around the main riff. No lyrics.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:41 pm

Si wrote:"Cleaned and Mastered for Vinyl" but listed as a CD?
I've pre-ordered the vinyl version, limited to 500 apparently.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:56 am

Cd + vinyl for me.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:58 am

Could you both report back on the sound quality please? If it is as good as the box then this is a great release. I was bemused as to why the full show wasn't on the box and I think Amuk said only some songs survived and not the full show.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:13 am

The clips sound really good. It sounds like it has some crackle like this was taken from a record.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:23 am

I've pre ordered my 12 inches of shiny black wax!

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:30 am

pitkin88 wrote:The clips sound really good. It sounds like it has some crackle like this was taken from a record.
The sound, assuming they are using the source I have know of, is very good although a little dry as it's a soundboard tape (not a radio show as I think it says on Amazon). As far as I know this recording has never been pressed to vinyl before.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:40 am

From pitkin88:
"I was bemused as to why the full show wasn't on the box and I think Amuk said only some songs survived and not the full show."

I don't think I wrote that and if I did, I must have been thinking of something else. The answer to your question is that a show from this tour was already included.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:51 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:From pitkin88:
"I was bemused as to why the full show wasn't on the box and I think Amuk said only some songs survived and not the full show."

I don't think I wrote that and if I did, I must have been thinking of something else. The answer to your question is that a show from this tour was already included.
There are afaik two recordings of the show (or two versions of the same recording, I don`t know). One is incomplete. The version that seems to be on this release is a second more complete version that seems to have surfaced relatively recently.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:35 am

From Si:
"There are afaik two recordings of the show (or two versions of the same recording, I don`t know). One is incomplete. The version that seems to be on this release is a second more complete version that seems to have surfaced relatively recently."

I think I've only ever been aware of the full recording.

Also, as was suggested in the original post, this is not an official release and this is the sort of thing which would make any official release less likely (and no, I'm not stating that in relation to this specific recording).

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:31 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:From Si:

Also, as was suggested in the original post, this is not an official release and this is the sort of thing which would make any official release less likely (and no, I'm not stating that in relation to this specific recording).
Why would a release like this make official releases of other shows, less likely? That makes no sense, conventional wisdom says the more official releases made available, the less market share unofficial releases can claim.

Nice business model if what you state would be true.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:57 pm

"There are afaik two recordings of the show (or two versions of the same recording, I don`t know). One is incomplete. The version that seems to be on this release is a second more complete version that seems to have surfaced relatively recently."

This is the sort of thing that probably shows there is a market fot it. It sounds like sour grapes again to be honest. WB and Alice Cooper have had years to release stuff. Why they have chose not to is financial folly especially during the CD boom era.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:08 am

Toronto Bob wrote:

Why would a release like this make official releases of other shows, less likely? That makes no sense, conventional wisdom says the more official releases made available, the less market share unofficial releases can claim.

Read what he said. He said an unofficial release of a recording would makes it much less likely there would be an official release of the same recording, even if they had a better source recording to use.
He clearly wasn`t refering to other shows, although it could effect that as well.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:11 am

pitkin88 wrote:

This is the sort of thing that probably shows there is a market fot it. It sounds like sour grapes again to be honest. WB and Alice Cooper have had years to release stuff. Why they have chose not to is financial folly especially during the CD boom era.
There was the suggestion many years ago that they could make things available directly in digital form. However you have to realise that they don`t own the rights to many recordings (especially classic ones we all want) and so logistically it probably just isn`t feasible or financially viable.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:55 am

Si wrote:
Toronto Bob wrote:

Read what he said. He said an unofficial release of a recording would makes it much less likely there would be an official release of the same recording, even if they had a better source recording to use.
He clearly wasn`t refering to other shows, although it could effect that as well.
??
So what is the statement "(and no, I'm not stating that in relation to this specific recording)" seems that he is saying that. Regardless, not having a proper archive or the rights to release anything is on Shep. But since they have no control - those rereleases that DD mentioned should have nothing to do with hapless AC and Shep so this unauthorized release will have exactly zero effect on any WB archival release. Likely Amuk is just having a sad that any ACG recording is being released - he seems to hate that for some unknown reason. If he hates bootlegs so much he only has to look to his hero Shep for the blame. Hey maybe it's a bit of karma, after all Shep and Joe were earning $ off of bootlegs in the early days - right?

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:10 am

Si wrote:
Toronto Bob wrote:

Well they could do something that the bootleggers ( or grey area ) can't do and that is add liner notes, recollections, commentary from the band, stats, photos etc.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:47 am

Please release anything, any show from the original group and I buy it. Official or not.