Alice's Facebook Page

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: Alice's Facebook Page

Post by VinceRaven » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:49 pm

If he really has zero input on what comes out of the Facebook account, the repeated use of 'I' 'I've' 'Me' 'My' etc is disingenuous. It would surely have been better to stick to referring to Alice in the third person.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:43 pm

The whole of Alice Cooper is "disingenous". It is a work of fiction. It is a fake character played by a talented artist.

I think it should be clear to any long time fan that anything that Alice says should never be taken as the absolute truth. It is known he gets a kick out of stretching things--to the point of the ridiculous.

I think it was, and always has been part of the plan---keep people guessing.

Again--I could be wrong (perhaps someone can confirm or deny this), but I happen to think the FB page is simply another way for Alice to generate income.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:26 pm

mr.barlow wrote:The whole of Alice Cooper is "disingenous".
Yes, but being purposefully 'disingenuous' has its disadvantages in the long run. If his whole modus operandi seems to be one of: "gimme the money, I'm just a piss & vinegar, showbiz charlatan", then quite a lot of Joe Public will ultimately view him as a mere caricature; someone whose music has no real creative integrity or substance - which, of course, is what has happened.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:57 pm

concolz wrote:
mr.barlow wrote:The whole of Alice Cooper is "disingenous".
Yes, but being purposefully 'disingenuous' has its disadvantages in the long run. If his whole modus operandi seems to be one of: "gimme the money, I'm just a piss & vinegar, showbiz charlatan", then quite a lot of Joe Public will ultimately view him as a mere caricature; someone whose music has no real creative integrity or substance - which, of course, is what has happened.
There is no doubt that Alice was very clear that one of the main motivations was to become filthy rich, however, it was his (and MANY others) creativity, ingenuity and talent that enabled him to do so.

If Alice had no real talent so to speak, he would not have had a career that has spanned nearly 50 years with periods of tremendous success in each of those five decades.

I think what is lost on a lot of fans is that the whole rock star persona in itself is part of the character. That is the case for almost every celebrity alive. Each has their own schtick and motivations for the persona they create and feed to the press and the masses.

If one can look past the character and the hype and dig into the business side of it all--one will get a better understanding of Alice Cooper. It opens up a better understanding of each era and of the whole damn thing.

Alice is a very talented man--and very shrewd. He is a talented businessman with a unique ability to be able to connect and survive within the constantly changing trends. It's called being calculated. That in itself is a great talent.

Alice and Shep changed the industry of rock n roll. Not only did Alice create great music--they changed--and some would say, created a whole new facet to the music industry.

I'm sure as time goes on, someone will explore the impact that Alice and Shep had on not only music--but the music industry. They had more of an impact that most people realize.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:30 am

Interesting discussion.
I'm not on FB - got cajoled into joining MySpace & was throughly disappointed. FB killed it & now you have Twitter & all the others. It's just too much! I don't need to know when someone has a bowel movement! :yawn:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

jram
Killer
Killer

Post by jram » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:48 am

VinceRaven wrote:I was wondering how long it would take before someone was driven so far up the wall by the Facebook posts that they complained about it on here.
I'm genuinely surprised to be the first - I did a brief search before posting, but obviously "Facebook" returns more results than I was prepared to look through.
mr.barlow wrote:I'm pretty sure that it generates income FOR Alice. They pay a company to run the service but Alice would make money based on the amount of clicks the bait generates. It's all about web advertising.
Aha! I figured it had to be financial, but couldn't work out how, given that the page links to all manner of buzz/feed/worthy-named sites. If they are tracking where the traffic came from, though, then yeah, that makes sense. Dressed up (in the article linked to a few posts up) as "commenting on the absurd."

In that regard, it's as insulting as when dance band Faithless sold their then-new album exclusively through Tesco and iTunes - blatantly financial - but put out a press release claiming it was "a bold move to reach fans old and new." As if limiting sales to two outlets was going to make the record more available.
[Evidently I still have some anger about how patronising that was. Someone check my head and see if there's buttons undone.]

Seems the upshot is that Alice gets another payday, while his fans have to wade through dross for the photos and band posts we initially followed for. And unfollowing is simple, but risks missing that occasional important/interesting announcement.

In agreement with Si, most bands these days have FB, Twitter, Instagram, a website, Youtube channels, plus whatever else (Snapchat, Google Plus, Ello, that new one whose name is two letters and clearly not memorable ones... plus whatever else is in development or breaking through) - it's impossible to know where news will surface.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:39 am

What kind of payday could this generate? A few hundred bucks?

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:43 am

I'm sure Alice has many people working and running his Facebook pages. He's a busy guy. Tours constantly, golfs almost daily, is a husband, father, and grandfather. I couldn't really imagine him maintaining two pages(NWAC being the other). He records his radio show while touring and I read where he allows the local syndicated affiliates to pick many songs to play which most people think Alice picked. I'm not knocking him, actually it's admiration. I don't know where he finds the energy to maintain that pace. He is a shrewd businessman, too.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:14 am

Here's an article I found that kind of gives you an idea of what's going on.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/8/612198 ... dam-levine

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:20 am

Mr.Bluelegs wrote: He records his radio show while touring and I read where he allows the local syndicated affiliates to pick many songs to play which most people think Alice picked.
About the radio show, Generally in any five hour show there is a percentage of songs marked (on the playlist available before the show) as changable. These are the ones that are generally in the middle of a block of three tracks so that Alice's intro's and outros from each block make sense.
However there are certain stations who change others as well, like PlanetRock who happily cut Alice halfway through a sentence so they can play something off their own playlist. He'll say something like "Speaking of Joe Perry here's[cut]" and they'll play something Alice would unlikely ever pick for his show.
There is also a HUGE amount of repetition on the show, songs that Alice has been playing every few nights for years on end. When I listened to the show regularly I honestly go completely sick of hearing things like 'Radar Love' over and over again.
I used to record each show, and edit out the songs just to keep AC's stories etc and by the time I stopped some years ago, it was down to about 20 mins of Alice per 5 hour show.
When you realise that, you can work out how long it actually takes to record a weeks worth of shows. He doesn`t listen to the songs when recoring, just records the links between them. That isn`t a criticism, just the way it's done.

nurserozetta
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by nurserozetta » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:58 am

pitkin88 wrote:What kind of payday could this generate? A few hundred bucks?
Exactly surely Alice & Shep have enough money without having to resort to this sort of crap

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:13 pm

I really don't understand why everyone is up in arms or confused about this. Alice's facebook presence is huge, therefore it makes sense for a company to capitalise on that by using click bait tactics to drive traffic to advertising platforms. It's one of the biggest growing forms of advertising today. I personally hate it, hence why I unliked the page.

But that's it. Couldn't give a toss, i'll happily get my info from Sickthings. Not gonna lose sleep over it. From Alice's perspective, it's obviously a good financial decision and i'm sure he profits very well out of it. Seems to me that every time Alice makes money, some people on here attack him. Could it just be jealousy?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:22 pm

From Sickthing:
"I was referring to this but quoted the wrong part."

I still don't see how it was "condescending". We are all members here, yet so few people appear to read the news which Si collects in one place for us so dilligently.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:22 pm

From pitkin88:
"Unless you think you might miss something by doing so."

That was already discussed.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:25 pm

From Si:"
"He's right though, I stay subscribed as nowadays new info appears all over the place and don`t what to miss something important."

Very little (if any) of it exclusive to the official Alice Cooper Facebook page though.

>And he's right that the bottom line is many people on facebook do seem to believe it's Alice posting everything on the page. They believe they are taking with Alice himself.

A sad but true statment.

>I think that sort of stuff (creepy houses/weird illnesses etc) should be stuck on a NWAC page (AC talks about such weird stuff on the radio show), not the official Alice feed.

Different people run that page.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:29 pm

I'm pretty sure that it generates income FOR Alice. They pay a company to run the service but Alice would make money based on the amount of clicks the bait generates. It's all about web advertising.

Exactly and from what I understand, that has been very successful. In other words, there are people out there who enjoy the content in those posts.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:41 pm

From concolz:
"If his whole modus operandi seems to be one of: "gimme the money, I'm just a piss & vinegar, showbiz charlatan",

I have to be careful before someone accuses me of being "condescending" but if you've been a serious fan as long as you say you have, then it doesn't sound like you've been paying attention. OF COURSE it has been "his whole modus operandi" - it is one of the reasons his career has has lasted as long as it has, as we have previously discussed. I apologise for any illusions that have been shattered.

>then quite a lot of Joe Public will ultimately view him as a mere caricature; someone whose music has no real creative integrity or substance - which, of course, is what has happened.

That is absolutely and totally false. For one thing, you are assuming that "Joe Public" even cares (they don't as he is still very much in demand as a live performer as a even a brief look at his recent history will show) and for another, I can't think of anything that can happen now that will make people suddently after a few decades of being fans turn around and say "Well, actually, I never liked "Killer". I just pretended to and secretly always thought "Welcome To My Nightmare" was a terrible album." It isn't going to happen because Facebook isn't that important.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:48 pm

From mr.barlow:
"Alice and Shep changed the industry of rock n roll. Not only did Alice create great music--they changed--and some would say, created a whole new facet to the music industry."

Let me give one small example of how that has been recognised. I didn't see it it myself but on "The Steel Wheels Tour", I understand that The Rolling Stones had footage of Alice (along with footage of other rock legends) projected onto the video screens during the song "It's Only Rock N' Roll (But I Like It)". I think that has at least some significance.

>I'm sure as time goes on, someone will explore the impact that Alice and Shep had on not only music--but the music industry. They had more of an impact that most people realize.

I think quite a bit of that has been discussed here as well.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:51 pm

From jram:
"but risks missing that occasional important/interesting announcement."

You won't and you can trust me on that.

>In agreement with Si, most bands these days have FB, Twitter, Instagram, a website, Youtube channels, plus whatever else (Snapchat, Google Plus, Ello, that new one whose name is two letters and clearly not memorable ones... plus whatever else is in development or breaking through) - it's impossible to know where news will surface.

You just proved my point.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:18 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:From jram:
"but risks missing that occasional important/interesting announcement."

You won't and you can trust me on that.
You can miss timely announcements, though, even if you have Liked the FB page. When tickets went on sale for the upcoming Nashville show, the information was posted about an hour before the start of the sale on the AC FB page. It was not posted to Twitter at that same time, as far as I know. But I still didn't see the post because FB decided not to show it to me. I found out about the presale later and wondered how others heard about it, but I didn't. When I specifically went looking for it and went to the AC FB page, I discovered the post, which was not shown in my newsfeed, sandwiched between clickbait posts that were in my newsfeed.

Hunter