Thoughts on the new album

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Thoughts on the new album

Post by dadascot » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:37 pm

I thought it would be better to start a new thread dedicated to thoughts about the new album.

When I bought it this morning I was feeling a bit underwhelmed. I'd listened to the tracks on spotify through my iPad. Listening to the album through a proper system I am far more impressed. The album is full of energy and you can tell they are having a lot of fun. Alice's voice is excellent. Personally I would have enjoyed a couple more obscure choices and would have loved Dennis and Neal to be on another couple of tracks. I really like Christopher lees opening, he does sound frail but this adds poignancy. Dead drunk friends does sound very like some of w2mn. Raise the dead I haven't really taken to yet. A bit messy somehow. My generation is a straight forward rendition that I would have swapped for another who song, perhaps I'm a boy from the Japanese bonus track, having said that it has great energy and the rhythm section is superb. Whole lotta love I think is an excellent version and Brian johnstones vocal works. Alice sleazy intro is superb! The middle section of the album is good old fashioned straight ahead rock and roll. Five to one has a great slinky blues feel.
Overall a good rock album, much better than I thought it was going to be. Enjoyable I think is the word.
The art work looks good but is a bit devoid of content and I would have really liked some pictures.

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Thoughts on the new album

Post by TeresofBlood » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:12 pm

I just posted this in the other thread, but I agree, a new thread is appropriate.
---------------------------------------------------------

I gave the album a listen and overall, I enjoyed it very much. I think the album as a whole adds up to a lot more than the individual tracks. This is mixed bag lost classics, b-sides, forgotten by a world of music-on-demand. Alice and Joe Perry said in an interview that "a lot of bands today don't know the Doors or Jimi Hendrix," and while it might be conjecture, his sentiment is correct in that music of the 1960s-70s is not as meaningful to younger generations, with so much "important" music happening in between. Bands of today were inspired for different bands and different music.

For this reason, I see the album as not only a tribute to Alice's dead drunk friends, but a tribute to a gone-by era - the era of the rockstar.

The biggest disappointments on the album for me were Manic Depression and My Generation. A Hendrix medley would have been far more exciting. And My Generation is just pedestrian in its musicianship. HOWEVER, I did find that the style of the song fit much better in the context of the entire album. I was not inclined to skip it.

The biggest surprise on the album is definitely One/Jump into the Fire. I was not terribly aware of Harry Nilsson, but I instantly recognized the melody of One. I didn't realize it was THAT song. I really enjoy that whole track from beginning to end. It's such a diverse vocal performance by Alice, from the intro to the outro.

I also thoroughly enjoy Cold Turkey. I've read a lot of unimpressed reactions to that song, but I think it suits Alice's voice and it suits the subject matter (dead drunk friends) so well. Alice has always had a good "Lennon" voice.

The original tracks also deserve mention. Both are great tracks, better than much of W2MN. I've been listening to My Dead Drunk Friends for weeks, but I can happily say that Raise the Dead has firmly planted itself in my brain. Such an impactful way to kick off an album.

While not every song is perfect, the album has a good groove and serves as a nice re-introduction to some now forgotten tunes. I find this an easier listen than W2MN (which is unwieldy and aurally overwhelming).

The timing for this album could not be more perfect. With Johnny Depp getting major acclaim for Black Mass, he is in higher demand than ever. This could bode well for album's sales (not that we should expect miracles).

It's also a reasonable assumption that the Roxy show will be recorded for mass release (VOD/DVD/Blu-ray) along with a live CD. Seems like a no-brainer!

bigbradwolf
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by bigbradwolf » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:38 pm

TeresofBlood wrote:I just posted this in the other thread, but I agree, a new thread is appropriate.
---------------------------------------------------------

I gave the album a listen and overall, I enjoyed it very much. I think the album as a whole adds up to a lot more than the individual tracks. This is mixed bag lost classics, b-sides, forgotten by a world of music-on-demand. Alice and Joe Perry said in an interview that "a lot of bands today don't know the Doors or Jimi Hendrix," and while it might be conjecture, his sentiment is correct in that music of the 1960s-70s is not as meaningful to younger generations, with so much "important" music happening in between. Bands of today were inspired for different bands and different music.

For this reason, I see the album as not only a tribute to Alice's dead drunk friends, but a tribute to a gone-by era - the era of the rockstar.

The biggest disappointments on the album for me were Manic Depression and My Generation. A Hendrix medley would have been far more exciting. And My Generation is just pedestrian in its musicianship. HOWEVER, I did find that the style of the song fit much better in the context of the entire album. I was not inclined to skip it.

The biggest surprise on the album is definitely One/Jump into the Fire. I was not terribly aware of Harry Nilsson, but I instantly recognized the melody of One. I didn't realize it was THAT song. I really enjoy that whole track from beginning to end. It's such a diverse vocal performance by Alice, from the intro to the outro.

I also thoroughly enjoy Cold Turkey. I've read a lot of unimpressed reactions to that song, but I think it suits Alice's voice and it suits the subject matter (dead drunk friends) so well. Alice has always had a good "Lennon" voice.

The original tracks also deserve mention. Both are great tracks, better than much of W2MN. I've been listening to My Dead Drunk Friends for weeks, but I can happily say that Raise the Dead has firmly planted itself in my brain. Such an impactful way to kick off an album.

While not every song is perfect, the album has a good groove and serves as a nice re-introduction to some now forgotten tunes. I find this an easier listen than W2MN (which is unwieldy and aurally overwhelming).

The timing for this album could not be more perfect. With Johnny Depp getting major acclaim for Black Mass, he is in higher demand than ever. This could bode well for album's sales (not that we should expect miracles).

It's also a reasonable assumption that the Roxy show will be recorded for mass release (VOD/DVD/Blu-ray) along with a live CD. Seems like a no-brainer!
Having just spent half an hour writing my views on the tracks and losing it as it had logged me out I stumbled across this review and I have to say I can't disagree with what's been said. I'll write another review after a few more listens but as initial reactions go this one's on the money.

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:41 pm

I will write a more detailed review later but this was taken from the other thread:

Well mine will be in the mail when I get off work, but listening to some of the tracks I hadn't heard, I have to say I love this album! Raise the Dead and its chorus is one of the most catchy things I've heard in awhile. Love that we were blessed to have the late Sir Christopher Lee record his very last performance reading something that is near and dear to his heart. The last lines "Listen to them, children of the night, what music they make" as it segues into RTD, is just a perfect start to the album....
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by andyrew » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:43 am

I really like the song choices on this album. I found that once Come and Get It hit, the album really sped up. I couldn't believe how fast it all went by because I was really enjoying every second of it. The only change I would have made would be substituting I Got A Line On You with Revolution. I like this version too, but I feel like Revolution would have been perfect right after Whole Lotta Love. This is a great album by Alice and the rest of the Vampires.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:54 am

I've only listened to some songs once and will give a few more listens I guess. C- to be honest. There is NO great cover here at all. Whole Lotta Love is probably the best track. The Christopher Lee intro sounds like it would be better suited to a different album. This album is not a horror album unless you are going by some of the poorer songs. One thing the album lacks is subtlety with the songs bashed out when they really don't need to be.

The two original songs are just average.

kaufmannphillips
Trash
Trash

Post by kaufmannphillips » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:31 am

I've ended up downloading seven of the tracks from iTunes.

(1) Whole Lotta Love :: The vocal on the intro is highly gratifying, for me - I'm so delighted to hear Alice, sounding dead classic here (and again, toward the end). Most of the track is not quite so special. But I've been playing this over and over. Entertainment success for this consumer.

(2) I've Got a Line on You :: I liked the old '80s version, except for that cringe-worthy monologue in the middle. One of my limited achievements with sound-editing software = an edit, excising that tumor from the track.

I'm glad to have this version, though. The instrumental arrangement holds up better. And Alice sounds quite good here, vocally.

(3) Five to One/Break on Through - The first section is the better one; the second is not quite top shelf on a few points; the transition between the two halves could have been better.

(4) Come and Get It - Right now, I'm liking the flavor on this. Paul's lead is pretty good, especially considering some of his later vocal performances. (No disrespect; just a natural fact.) I like what they did with it, at least in the headphones. The raucous anti-vocal might be helping to sweeten up Paul's lead, and it strikes me as late-era-Beatlesque.

Did Alice lay that vocal down? If so, I tip my hat. It's sorta humble, in that it's not the most obvious and familiar styling for Alice; and it's sorta cool and an honor, 'cause it's old school Beatle swag/camaraderie.

(5) Cold Turkey - Okay. Will see if this grows on me more.

(6) Itchycoo Park - I like the hook. The record-scratch moment is a bit too slapstick for me. I love Alice when he's clever. When he goes for the easy gag, sometimes I grin, and sometimes I grimace.

(7) School's Out/Another Brick - Tolerating it better than at first. But I probably would still rather listen to the A*Teens version than this.

I didn't spring for the other tracks, for various reasons. But hey, albums like this are dubious things. Three tracks that I like, and four also-rans = not a bad haul.
I took that serious.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:32 am

Their 'everything including the kitchen sink' blusterings sink most tracks quicker than an Atlantic U-boat; sometimes 'less' is definitely 'more'.

In the end, this is a predictable, deadly dull, mainstream rock album; joining the squillions out there already. No stars.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:18 am

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/album ... s-20150911

3+1/2 star out of five : not too bad, ain't it :alice:
you really wouldn't understand..

Rob
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Rob » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:21 am

Anyone got or heard I`m a boy version yet ?
Whole lotta love is the best track for me at the moment, love Alice on the harmonica and Zak Starkey on drums , a great drummer without all the ego of other drummers we could discuss all day
:blues:
It must be true A_Michael said so

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:16 pm

Classic Rock have given the album a mediocre 6 out of 10 but gave a positive response to Alice's singing.

As for me, I had the pleasure of listening to this album whilst driving round the Highlands of Scotland this week. Just me, some mountains and the Vampires!

The introduction by Sir Christopher Lee is very disappointing. He was clearly very frail at the point of his contribution but it's actually the script which I have the biggest problem with, it's just not very good. It's not Rob Zombie bad, but very sad that this is the last thing he did.

As for the tracks, I'm going to prepare a full review in due course (I like to let them manifest in my head for a bit) but must say that the clear stand-outs for me are Raise The Dead (really good), One / Jump Into The Fire (this is closer to the more experimental music I wanted to see across the album), Come And Get It (a fun track) and Itchycoo Park (one that Alice puts a good personal stamp on).

The rest is rather mediocre, entirely inoffensive but lacking some of dynamism of the above tracks.

Overall, a worthy effort and I'm now looking forward to the next solo project plus. My hope is that Alice and co. have had over 4 years to consider this album and I'm hopeful that the wait will not be that long.

Finally, let's hope to see the 2 new tracks added to the current setlist in time for his trip to the UK next month.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:49 pm

I was half expecting to be disappointed with the album so didn't want to build up my expectations as these superstar projects can sometimes be a let down, but on first listen I have to say it's pretty good.

Production excellent and that's a given with Bob Ezrin at the helm, and the original tracks do stand up, Johnny Depp and Bruce Witkin (who played together in a band called the Kids years ago) clearly have something to offer as songwriters in their collaboration with Alice, Bob Ezrin and Tommy Henriksen, especially like 'My Dead Drunk Friends'.

As for the covers love the arrangement on Whole Lotta Love and the harmonica from Alice is great.

The Doors tribute is pretty good especially having Robby Krieger on it.

But it's tracks 7 & 8 that are the best covers for me, the Nilsson tribute is fantastic and I love it when Alice goes into coconut at the end. Come And Get It was the one I thought would be the most difficult to do justice to, even though it's a McCartney song and he's on it, the Badfinger version is so good I was worried this would be stepping on sacred territory, but it's the albums stand out cover for me great job done.

Jeepster can't compare with the T.Rex original nor can Cold Turkey match Lennon's classic or Manic Depression come anywhere near Hendrix, but that's not being too critical no one is going to better the originals, it's a tribute after all no shame in that, no one is ever going to do My Generation better than The Who.

Good to hear Dennis and Neal on the new version of School's Out, but no one has played the guitar riff as good as Glen since 1972 but seeing as he wrote it that's not a surprise.

But overall a good effort and one I do plan on listening to again.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:01 pm

wind_up_toy wrote:The introduction by Sir Christopher Lee is very disappointing. He was clearly very frail at the point of his contribution but it's actually the script which I have the biggest problem with, it's just not very good. It's not Rob Zombie bad, but very sad that this is the last thing he did.
The "script" is excerpts from Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Hunter

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:10 pm

SickThings wrote:
wind_up_toy wrote:The introduction by Sir Christopher Lee is very disappointing. He was clearly very frail at the point of his contribution but it's actually the script which I have the biggest problem with, it's just not very good. It's not Rob Zombie bad, but very sad that this is the last thing he did.

Hunter
Yes, I'm aware of this but thanks all the same.

bigbradwolf
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by bigbradwolf » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:37 pm

Right after a few more listens here's my view.

1) An intro to really to get you fired up for the album. Alice knows how to open an album up when he put's his mind to it and this one doesn't disappoint. Would be a great start to a horror ride at a theme park. Rating: N/A

2) Raise The Dead: The weaker of the two 'new tracks' but still a steady track in my eyes and not a bad way to start the album off. I found lyrically it wasn't the best Alice could have conjured up. Very repetitive in the verse with 'Hey You'. 7/10

3) My Generation: Regular Alice fans will be aware of this being played on the Brutal Planet tour. Not a cover that set's the pulses racing probably because of it featuring on a tour before. Steady enough cover which doesn't differentiate too much from the original. I'd like to have seen Alice do a more discreet Who song seeing that he always big's up their lesser known songs. Weakest track on the album for me. 5/10

4) Whole Lotta Love: This is where the album really gets going. A typical Alice vocal intro that really kicks us off for an exciting track. Not a massive Zeppelin fan but this cover really hits me. Johnson compliments the song well and I think the presentation is brilliantly done. 8/10

5) I Got A Line On You: Whilst it's probably better than the 80's version the slightly annoying backing vocals loses my interest for this song. 6.5/10

6) Five To One/Break On Through: I like how Alice has merged two tracks for the next two songs and I would probably argue he could have done this for Hendrix and possibly The Who tracks. Solid enough effort for me. 7/10

7) One/Jump Into The Fire: If you'd have said to me what is the most uninspiring looking track on the album before it's release I'd have said this one. I will now be buying a Harry Nilsson album and think these tracks are the biggest surprise on the album. Absolutely love it. 8/10

8) Come And Get It: It goes to show how much Alice is respected in the music industry when Sir Paul McCartney is prepared to work with you. I think the songs very well done with Alice's vocals taking a more backing vocal approach. A song you can't help but sing along to. 7.5/10

9) Jeepster: With my dad a massive T-Rex fan I was quite nervous and excited for this one. Whilst it's not as upbeat as the original it's still catchy and Alice puts his own spin on it with a nice effect with the vocals. Not as good as the original but still a good listen. 7/10

10) Cold Turkey: I remember listening to the original of this in the car about 3 years ago and thinking Alice would pull off a great cover of this as for me Lennon sounds very Alice on the track. So I was pleased to see this line up on the album and Alice doesn't disappoint. 8/10

11) Manic Depression: Not a huge fan of this track, I think there were better tracks he could have performed for Hendrix. Just kind of plods along and doesn't really go anywhere. 6/10

12) Itchycoo Park: My favourite on the album. Love the original and the modification of the track to be more Alice like whilst holding the catchy appeal of the original stands firm. 9/10

13) School's Out: For an Alice fan it's not an essential part of the album but I guess Alice wanted his hit on the album. With the addition of the Pink Floyd bit it sets it slightly apart from the original. An enjoyable version but not necessary as an Alice fan. 7/10

14) My Dead Drunk Friends: For me the stronger of the two originals and one that would go alongside the tracks on W2MN. Solid effort which rounds the album off nicely. 8/10

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:53 pm

bigbradwolf wrote:13) School's Out: For an Alice fan it's not an essential part of the album but I guess Alice wanted his hit on the album.
It serves as a tribute to Glen Buxton, too.

Hunter

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:04 pm

First listen- really like the production throughout- Itchycoo Park is a standout and is excellen. Played album/CD at high volume- like the high energy level pretty much throughout.

My wife enjoyed the album and the cat didn't leave the room- two bonuses.

I agree it would be hard for anyone to better the original
Jeepster or Cold Turkey tracks but Alice puts his spin on it.

If I had to give it a score out of 10- if it was an Alice album I would give it 7 but since it is a "side project" and a covers album I give it 9 pop pickers!
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:38 pm

wind_up_toy wrote:
SickThings wrote:

Hunter
Yes, I'm aware of this but thanks all the same.

Stokers Dracula is very dry and not an easy read. The reading doesn't fit the album.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:59 pm

This is my point, I personally don't feel that it fits in with what is on offer.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:24 am

Stokers Dracula is very dry and not an easy read. The reading doesn't fit the album.[/quote]

Personally I think it dos fit. I love Dracula (the book) and I like this reading. My girlfriend, who until a few months ago had never heard much of Alice and who counts herself as a soul fan, really likes the album. The only track that doesn't grab me is 'raise the dead', reminds me of something from the constrictor tour! At the moment itchy coo park and whole lotta love are my favourites.