Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Where did Alice go??

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue May 12, 2015 7:43 pm

From sicktjingsuk@
"So it isn`t just AC fans saying it, it's the mainstream press as well."

Exactly and it's a shame pitkin88 had to ask if it was "wishful thinking" but given that by his own admission he doesn't follow Alice's current career that closely or go to any shows, it isn't surprising he isn't as well - informed as he could be.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Tue May 12, 2015 8:41 pm

Forbes even references this in this new article:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ruthblatt/2 ... xty-seven/
Forty-two years later, Cooper’s business is still thriving. Unlike Motley Crue, with whom he has been touring, he has no aspirations to retire from performing. “I’m booked into next century,” he told me, and he shows no signs of decline (“Motley Crue was good, but Alice Cooper was better,” is a typical response to the shows).
Hunter

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue May 12, 2015 9:19 pm

yeah he just keeps creaking on playing the same old stuff. Bravo.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Tue May 12, 2015 11:30 pm

You gotta creak before you croak.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed May 13, 2015 12:56 am

mr.barlow wrote:You gotta creak before you croak.

You should give him that line to work with.

Nick
Killer
Killer

Post by Nick » Wed May 13, 2015 3:34 pm

http://www.noise11.com/news/motley-crue ... w-20150513 Looks like our sentiments and that of the crowds wasnt too far off the mark.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu May 14, 2015 9:30 am

From pitkin88:
"yeah he just keeps creaking on"

Again, according to the consensus among those who have been to a show in the last few years (unlike you), that's the last thing he's doing.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Thu May 14, 2015 6:42 pm

Not to mention, most veteran bands rely primarily on their hits and best known songs, so if anyone wants to accuse Alice of mainly focusing on his past that accusation can be made of any other band who has ever had a hit album or been around for very long. Very few bands are playing more than one or two songs in their current shows and many are even going back and playing an entire classic album from start to finish in their show. The bottom line is critics seem to consistently be impressed with Alice's energy and overall performance these days (not that critics matter that much in the grand scheme of things) and the vast majority of fans who still attend Alice's shows or see Alice as the opening band seem pleased overall.

The bottom line is people have two options. If you like what Alice is currently doing, then support it, buy the albums, go to the live shows. If you don't like what he is doing, simply don't go. It just always amazes me when you have people (and this isn't aimed at anyone), that constantly criticize his solo career or recent decisions with never anything good to say. If you hate it that much, then why keep on talking about it?

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Fri May 15, 2015 7:37 am

Funnily enough, I was searching something about Motley Crue and this came up in the Google news search results from of the Australian shows that took place the other day.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/arts/mu ... 7355409433

Headline: Alice Cooper steals the show on Motley Crue farewell tour

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Fri May 15, 2015 11:37 am

The Forbes article on the news page gives some good insight(even on playlist) and shows that Alice hasn't gone away, as far as Forbes is concerned, despite 42 years passing. There cannot be many rock stars who get a front cover on Forbes and even get much of a mention 40 plus years later. Alice has changed as a human being but elements of the show have remained or been revisited to keep the audience happy overall. I would certainly go and see an Alice show that is different even if it excluded the original group stuff but I wouldn't worry if the odd pre 74 classic was mixed in. Doesn't have to be one thing or the other for me but "alternative" live content would be nice- for me Grim Facts,Remarkably Insincere/I Like Girls would be a good threesome :grin:
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sun May 17, 2015 7:47 am

Here's another Australian review for Pitkin:
Motley Crue Struck Dumb By A Man Named Alice

Nick
Killer
Killer

Post by Nick » Sun May 17, 2015 1:26 pm

http://www.metalobsession.net/2015/05/1 ... -12052015/

Another one from the first Melbourne show I attended (I ended up at both) and pretty much once again sums up my sentiments. Really get a kick out of all the positive Alice reviews Alice gets down under, there's been a bit of a love affair with him and the mainstream music press since he started playing down here semi-regularly since 2005.

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Mon May 18, 2015 8:44 am

i wonder if a tight, Alice songs-only set helped matters.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

ElectedPlus
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ElectedPlus » Mon May 18, 2015 11:05 am

I suppose there's no way of knowing, but the reviews are praising Alice on his showmanship and technical skills moreso than his song selection.

However, 50 mins is short and we've heard the showmanship adage of 'always leave them wanting more', so perhaps that sharp burst of Alice's performance helps.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Mon May 18, 2015 4:29 pm

What I'm gathering from the reviews is that Motley has made the right move in calling it quits now. :yawn: One more big payday for the band members retirement fund. Nikki will go on with Sixx A.M., he's got a couple of hungry younger guys chomping at the bit to tour & the material is pretty good also, getting a bit of airplay on the radio. Opening slot for Alice seems to be a win, could lead to a few M.C. converts attending the next time AC comes to town! :rock:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...