Where did Alice go??

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Keith1980
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Where did Alice go??

Post by Keith1980 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:35 am

Alice had some great songs but somehow he seems to put out great music then he disappears. I would give anything to never see him perform 18 b$b schools out or anything else from 1974 and back. I thought he went solo but it looks more like hes trying to find the old band. Im listening to trash and hey stoopid and they are almost dismissed as much as anything else from 1976 forword. Little by little in my opinion is a billion times better then anything the band did. Where did alice go? The Godfather of shock?? HEY ALICE SHOCK UR FANS AND PLAY ONLY UR SOLO STUFF!!!!

One tour of no 70s music would be awesome anyone agree??

Ps
thats the only complaint i have about alice

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Where did Alice go??

Post by wind_up_toy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:39 pm

This has been discussed many times on here Keith(?).

The recurring conclusion is that, whilst Alice has released some excellent material as a solo artist, the greatest pool of quality tracks still reside from the days where he was part of the Alice Cooper Group.

Additionally, the majority of 'casual' fans really do want to hear the songs that you've mentioned above (plus Poison and a few other staple tracks from the solo career) as they are, quite simply, the most popular that he is associated with. Failure to do this across a long-running tour would be illogical and potentially career-ending from a commercial perspective.

However, I think many agree that there is room in any setlist for some more diversity. I would be very happy to see Little By Little rather than Lost In America or Feed My Frankenstein, for example. Some (including myself) would also like to see a few one-off gigs where he throws out the rulebook and covers a classic album or plays some obscure hits.

Having said all this, right now I'd take any kind of Alice concert in the UK. We're heading towards 3 years since his last run of shows here.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:27 pm

The promoters in the UK have don't seem to have any interest in inviting him according to Amuk

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:21 pm

From pitkin88:
"The promoters in the UK have don't seem to have any interest in inviting him according to Amuk"

Where and when did I say that?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:37 pm

From pitkin88:
"viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8971&p=277640&view=show#p277640"

My question still applies. Where did I say "The promoters in the UK have don't seem to have any interest in inviting him" in that thread?

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:44 pm

Oh I was reading between the lines. He hasn't toured for there for three years so figured you where saying it's not down to him but the promoters and others that make those decisions. Was he asked then and didn't like their offers?.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:07 am

pitkin88 wrote:Oh I was reading between the lines. He hasn't toured for there for three years so figured you where saying it's not down to him but the promoters and others that make those decisions. Was he asked then and didn't like their offers?.
I would suggest it's more likely the Motley boys made a better offer.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:19 am

Oh I was reading between the lines.

It appears you were led by your preconceptions and assumptions though.

>He hasn't toured for there for three years so figured you where saying it's not down to him but the promoters and others that make those decisions.

So for the third time, you need to show me why that means "The promoters in the UK have don't seem to have any interest in" making offers.

>Was he asked then and didn't like their offers?.

That is possible but equally, maybe the promoters made a strategic decision not to make any to begin with. In case you haven't noticed, he's performed in Britain every year between 2000 and 2013 with a tour every other year with the exceptions of 2000 and 2001 and the tour in 2012 (which was something of a surprise). When you perform in the same territory so regulasrly, there is always a danger of saturating it. Equally, Alice's agent may have made the decision not invite any offers for the same reason. That doesn't mean promoters aren't interested.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:08 am

While I don't with the OP I would be totally excited with an "'80's" set list culled from the four great blackout albums exclusively.

What a great set list this would be

Talk Talk
Clones
Pain
Grim Facts
Nuclear Infected
Model Citizen
Who Do You Think We Are
Seven and Seven Is
Prettiest Cop On the Block
Generation Landslide
Vicious Rumours
Zorro's Ascent
Make That Money
Adaptable
Remarkably Insincere
I'm Alive
Da Da
Enough's Enough
Former Lee Warmer
Scarlet and Sheba
Pass The Gun Around

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:28 am

Here is one of my wish set lists:
It's very hard to put together an "ultimate" set list that works within the confines of a 90 or 120 minute show.
I have always felt that Alice could have the best of both worlds by combining classic songs and hits along with obscure songs for the hardcore fans. The following list is an example of how it could be done. The songs have great flow and would work well together and a stage show could be easily wrapped around such a set. Maybe when he decides to retire and does a farewell tour we hopefully get such a set and even an expanded show.

Dada (taped intro)
You Drive Me Nervous
Model Citizen
Billion Dollar Babies
Muscle Of Love
My Stars
Scarlet And Sheba
Go To Hell
Fresh Blood
Welcome To My Nightmare
Nurse Rozetta
Tag You're It
Road Rats
Seven & Seven Is
Grim Facts
The World Needs Guts
Under My Wheels
Be My Lover
Poison
Teenage Frankenstein
Dwight Frye
Cold Ethyl
You Look Good In Rags
Elected
School's Out

Encore: Halo Of Flies

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:07 pm

With apologies to Keith 1980, here's my Alice Cooper set list:

Caught In a Dream
Long Way to Go
Second Coming
Ballad of Dwight Fry
Halo of Flies
Dead Babies
Killer
Luney Tune
My Stars
Generation Landslide
Big Apple Dreamin'
Hard Hearted Alice
Man With the Golden Gun

Yes, all Alice Cooper Group songs but nothing that was on the Greatest Hits album. It's not that I don't like Under My Wheels, School's Out, etc. but the above songs would make for a very fresh set list.

Of course IMHO it would be best if the original Group were to reunite and tour behind my setlist. And just to be clear, I'm not a fan of Alice's solo career and still believe he should have retired in 1974.

Ted

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:27 pm

I would love an all solo material tour. I know I am in the minority on this board, but I actually prefer Alice's solo career slightly to his work with the original band.

MrD Returns
Killer
Killer

Post by MrD Returns » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:38 pm

Just to be fair to myself I went back a re-listened to a majority of the tracks from Dada, Zipper and Special Forces. Always seeing what a great fan base these albums have I figured that I must be missing something...I wasn't.
They're just awful.

I use the Dada CD as a coaster to rest my beer on.
Alice would be wise not to build a tour on this material least he be booed off the stage.
When I die I hope I'm surrounded by burning gas and shattered chrome.

Nick
Killer
Killer

Post by Nick » Tue May 12, 2015 2:53 pm

Just a couple thoughts regarding this.
There have been some valid and not so valid points regarding Alice's recent setlists and more recently his opening slot on Motley Crue's tour.
I literally just got back from Alice opening for Crue here in Melbourne. Australia, and no matter how many times I've heard these songs and despite the set being shorter I was blown away once again, this being my 17th time seeing Alice live. Showmanship, ability to manipulate and entertain the crowd, stage presence and what actually sounded to me like a BETTER voice live. Can't say enough good things about it. He played his shorter set and absolutely nailed it, it was so condensed and high energy.
Went with a Motley fan (I was the hardcore Cooper fan) and when we left at the end of a looong night he seemed to only talk about Alice's show and how he could go see Alice again anytime at all. Motley fan converted to a Cooper fan. Can't get any better.
I'm going to obviously sound biased, but the general banter around the crowd after Alice's set ended was "why in the hell would you get a guy like that to open for you when he's probably already blown you off the stage.
I agree. He stil looks snd sounds better and genuinely enjoys it. Well done Alice, always guaranteed good night.

Crue for their part did their thing, played the two or three songs I like, but vince neil sounded out of gas at points noticably but I think a lot of that was masked by the overkill on the pyrotechnics.

So me, the alice cooper fan, and him, the crue guy, are going back tomorrow and have decided to leave after alice's set, as, in his words "I actually could see that guy again and again" without being too fussed about seeing Crue again. Welcome to the sickthings.;}

Robbie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Robbie » Tue May 12, 2015 4:35 pm

A really interesting post Nick. Many thanks!

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue May 12, 2015 5:04 pm

From Nick:
"but the general banter around the crowd after Alice's set ended was "why in the hell would you get a guy like that to open for you when he's probably already blown you off the stage."

That does seem to be the consensus ever since the first show after this bill was put together.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue May 12, 2015 5:41 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:From Nick:
"but the general banter around the crowd after Alice's set ended was "why in the hell would you get a guy like that to open for you when he's probably already blown you off the stage."

That does seem to be the consensus ever since the first show after this bill was put together.

Wishful thinking or is Motley Crue that bad?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue May 12, 2015 6:37 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
A_MichaelUK wrote:From Nick:

Wishful thinking or is Motley Crue that bad?
I'll be the first to admit to a bias but I saw Crue twice in the 80s and they weren`t particularly good back then. One time Cheap Trick blew them off stage at Hammersmith, twice. They opened the show and then Zander and Nielsen came back for Crue's encore and upstaged them again.

But on this tour a very high percentage of reviews have commented on Alice being the better act. So many in fact that I was a little surprised when it was announced that Crue had invited him to open more shows.

So it isn`t just AC fans saying it, it's the mainstream press as well. Even many Crue fans admit Vince Neil is having a hard time doing his job, which seems to be their main problem from what I can tell.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Tue May 12, 2015 7:34 pm

Si wrote:So it isn`t just AC fans saying it, it's the mainstream press as well. Even many Crue fans admit Vince Neil is having a hard time doing his job, which seems to be their main problem from what I can tell.
I've purposefully not attended any of the shows on this tour, but that was the case when I saw Motley Crue with KISS in 2012. Their show was pyrotechnic overkill and gymnastic women and Tommy Lee, but it mostly worked for what it was except for Vince Neil.

Hunter