it really is Super Duper

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: it really is Super Duper

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Fri May 02, 2014 1:31 am

Read the Facebook link, saw that Steve C. got in a tussle with a few morons! Tear 'em up, Steve.

Mike Drew
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Mike Drew » Fri May 02, 2014 8:23 am

Re the pretty poor overall theatre attendances.....I think to much emphasis is put on the web / facebook etc,yea you get the diehards who miss nothing,but the mainstream folk aren't in the loop,and its the mainstream that are the majority...you need an ad in the big selling newspapers etc...but obv this costs money,just a shame its been seen by so few.
"Its Only Rock N' Roll But Its Expensive"

www.michaeldrew.co.uk

suziginajackson
Killer
Killer

Post by suziginajackson » Fri May 02, 2014 8:24 am

Re: the people who are saying that they saw this film in the cinema, and there were only a handful of other viewers

I used to work in a cinema. When we were showing the film 'Mississippi Burning', more often than not, the auditorium was literally empty

That film went on to win an Oscar (for best cinematography), and was nominated for a further 6 Oscars, including Best Picture, Best Director, Leading Actor and Supporting Actress!
People try to put us down
Just because we get around

Mike Drew
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Mike Drew » Fri May 02, 2014 8:31 am

Re: the people who are saying that they saw this film in the cinema, and there were only a handful of other viewers

I used to work in a cinema. When we were showing the film 'Mississippi Burning', more often than not, the auditorium was literally empty

That film went on to win an Oscar (for best cinematography), and was nominated for a further 6 Oscars, including Best Picture, Best Director, Leading Actor and Supporting Actress!
Fair Point :-)
"Its Only Rock N' Roll But Its Expensive"

www.michaeldrew.co.uk

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Fri May 02, 2014 8:51 am

cheers Mr Bluelegs there are some really sycophant morons on Facebook that are an embarrassment that think they know it all but know very little.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Lazarus
Trash
Trash

Post by Lazarus » Thu May 08, 2014 11:12 pm

A little late to the party here, but after arriving 15 minutes early for my local cinema's initial showing I learned it sold out! They promised to try to book it again, and sure enough, I was able to catch it last night.

I loved, loved, loved it. It's really good filmmaking, a very skillfully assembled narrative. Here's what I liked the most:

The marriage of the creepy last rites interlude from "Killer" with the sepia-tone Jekyll & Hyde footage as a recurring motif.

"All Strapped Up" and a few seconds of the 4 Alices from the KOTSS magic screen footage!

Using the friendship of Alice and Dennis as the subplot. More bang for the emotional buck, I think, than trying to manage every band member's story.

Clever use of music as commentary on the story. Enjoyed the sequential disappearance of band members from their pose in front of the Avedon photo to "Hard Hearted Alice".

An unbelievable trove of photos that were totally new to me.

Fantastic sound! The channel separation was so clean and distinct that I wondered if the filmmakers managed a little remixing from original tracks.

And this little thing: Back in the late 70's, I read Steve Demorest's CIRCUS Alice bio, which includes this bit:
Alice was hanged that night in Atlanta, just as he was hanged in every major city in America, but he triumphed over the grave. After the black hood was torn away to reveal a bleached skeleton where Alice had last been seen...
Now, for well over 30 years I wondered about this, having never seen any photographic evidence of it. Never have I known a hood to be used in the hanging. Was the skeleton a bullshit embellishment by Demorest? But last night, there it was dangling from the scaffold in the background during SO! (Now if I could just figure out the hood business...)

I didn't care for the poster artwork before seeing the film, but now that I know its context within the story (Alice recognizing his signature makeup in the blood running from his eyes), it's a great choice.

Cheers all around to all involved. I have no complaints. SDAC was pure pleasure for me from beginning to end.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri May 09, 2014 9:20 am

>Using the friendship of Alice and Dennis as the subplot. More bang for the emotional buck, I think, than trying to manage every band member's story.

Exactly. That isn't good enough for some people though.

>Fantastic sound! The channel separation was so clean and distinct that I wondered if the filmmakers managed a little remixing from original tracks.

I don't think so, but those guys are good.

>But last night, there it was dangling from the scaffold in the background during SO! (Now if I could just figure out the hood business...)

There has been plenty of photographic evidence of the skeleton but I've never seen any of "the hood", so I think Gaines was just using a little 'artistic licence' or something.

rtbuck
Killer
Killer

Post by rtbuck » Fri May 09, 2014 4:00 pm

I seen the movie this past Monday in Buffalo & loved it . The place it played was called the Screening Room and It looked like the place could only hold about 50 people and it was at near capacity(it also played their the previous Wednesday). I agree there should've been mention of Michael but then there probably should've been mention of Dick Wagner who I think meant more to Alice history than Bernie Taupin(as did Michael Bruce). I actually remember seeing that footage of Bernie, Alice, & the other guy working out Millie & Billy on PBS in the late 70's. I read in the paper that Alice was going to be on some PBS show late one night so I forced myself to stay awake and at that time I was disappointed because I was expecting a live performance. You know...I always thought Alice didn't seem right on the Strange Case but I kept thinking he was completely straight because of the concept of From the Inside...Now it seems like he was on Cocaine during that time...at least the movie made me think that

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Fri May 09, 2014 5:57 pm

Unusually, I have not seen the film yet-will be purchased of course on dvd. Anyway just a thought regarding the AC drugs non issue. One of my favourite AC tracks is No Tricks, from memory co written with Bernie T. I could never understand why this was not on the marvellous (imo) FTI album. I know that not all Alice's songs are autobiographical (e.g. I never wrote those songs on Lace and W.) but I wonder whether part of the reason for omitting No Tricks from FTI was the clear reference to drug use and the potential for listeners to make an unwanted inference of drug use by Alice. Great song and great album whatever.
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

rtbuck
Killer
Killer

Post by rtbuck » Fri May 09, 2014 6:59 pm

recoop wrote:Unusually, I have not seen the film yet-will be purchased of course on dvd. Anyway just a thought regarding the AC drugs non issue. One of my favourite AC tracks is No Tricks, from memory co written with Bernie T. I could never understand why this was not on the marvellous (imo) FTI album. I know that not all Alice's songs are autobiographical (e.g. I never wrote those songs on Lace and W.) but I wonder whether part of the reason for omitting No Tricks from FTI was the clear reference to drug use and the potential for listeners to make an unwanted inference of drug use by Alice. Great song and great album whatever.

I always loved No Tricks...great song. I had the 45 of How You Gonna See Me Now w/ No Tricks on the flip side and I played the hell out of that tune. I was so glad it was on the box set. Betty Wright really sang great on that track

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Tue May 27, 2014 9:02 am

Watched dvd this weekend...well put together from a mass of info. Extra materrial made it more interesting. Overall very enjoyable
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

MrD Returns
Killer
Killer

Post by MrD Returns » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:05 pm

I know I'm a little late to the party on this but I just saw the movie this weekend. Ordered the DVD , never showed up so I cancelled the order. Was going to try again but the full movie popped up on youtube so I watched it there. (the youtube entry has german subtitles).
Anyway, I don't really have much to add that hasn't already been discussed. The MB thing pissed me off but I supposed that was the directors choice. I noticed some pics and footage was out of sync with the time frame but not a big deal.
I've searched through this thread for an answer but didn't really see one even though the topic had been brought up. The Ouija board thing...true or not?
Way back when that was the story. Alice has discounted it over the years as "made up". The film and Neal and Alice now present it as true. Which is it?

I loved the film but personally would rather see something that delves more into the musical, cultural, and social impact of Alice Cooper rather than the trials and tribulations of the individual. But hey that's just me.

As far as seeing Super Duper 2, wouldn't count on that too much. I did see something that I'm excited about though. It seems there's a screenplay in development called...
"Schindlers List 2: Let's Get This Party Started"
When I die I hope I'm surrounded by burning gas and shattered chrome.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:15 pm

MrD Returns wrote: The Ouija board thing...true or not?
Way back when that was the story. Alice has discounted it over the years as "made up". The film and Neal and Alice now present it as true. Which is it?
There are elements of truth in it. As is not unusual several events were joined into one good story. There was definitly a night where some of the band and some rock star friends played with a Ouija board, and there was definitely a night they decided to call themselves Alice Cooper. It's more doubtful the two events were on the same night haha.
There is a good interview with Dennis somewhere on the net in which he tells his version of the Ouija story in some detail, or you can wait for his book as I'm sure its in there.

MrD Returns
Killer
Killer

Post by MrD Returns » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:05 pm

Well whatever it is they have presented it again to the world as "the true story" so I guess that's what we'll go with until it changes again.

"Never let the truth stand in the way of a good story"... A.Cooper

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:49 am

From MrD Returns:
"Well whatever it is they have presented it again to the world as "the true story" so I guess that's what we'll go with until it changes again."

Actually, they didn't do that. The directors gave at least one interview where they explained why they chose to repeat certain legendary stories.

MrD Returns
Killer
Killer

Post by MrD Returns » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:43 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:From MrD Returns:
"Well whatever it is they have presented it again to the world as "the true story" so I guess that's what we'll go with until it changes again."

Actually, they didn't do that. The directors gave at least one interview where they explained why they chose to repeat certain legendary stories.
True, but to the viewer that's what it appears to be. Anyway the folks that made the movie chose what to put it, what to leave out. Certain omissions are glaring,
the Ouija board story is one they chose to put in that's presented as a central part of the story. So it is what it is. I actually like the Ouija board story whether it's true or not.

BTW kudo's Andy and to Sickthings UK for being credited. That was cool. When I was watching the credits roll I was on my laptop with earbuds in and yelled out "awesome!!" when I saw it. Sharon thought I had flipped until I explained what I saw.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:57 pm

From MrD Returns:
"True, but to the viewer that's what it appears to be."

Only if you believe in Ouija boards though.

>the Ouija board story is one they chose to put in that's presented as a central part of the story.

Again, I would have to disagree. I don't think it's pivotal to the documentary in any way.

> I actually like the Ouija board story whether it's true or not.

That is kind of why it was included.

>BTW kudo's Andy and to Sickthings UK for being credited.

Thanks - you're very kind.